Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
in regards to the new genetek UI
I have no idea if this is supposed to go here, but seeing as there's no other threads about it I'll put it here.

First off, I wanna say that my favorite job, by far, is Geneticist, and I've been playing Geneticist for a few months now, albeit a bit less lately so that others can have a chance at it, too. When I heard the Genetek console is getting a UI update I didn't think much of it, I heard that most consoles, if not all, were getting updates and I definitely agree it was time for the old console to get a sleek new upgrade! Even on the night of its release when I heard it was incredibly laggy, I still had faith because I figured that it just needed to be optimized, as nothing goes smoothly on the first run, right?

Finally, today, I've had a chance to play around with it! I wanna speak on the positives first. It displays a LOT more information that I feel is actually super beneficial to know. The picture inset of the person in the scanner, the name, body-type, physical age, blood type! That's all cool stuff that I feel is a great addition. Same with having a little inset on the left displaying research times with a neat little loading bar that displays in real time, how close each research option is to being completed. I also like the different tabs at the top, and how I can switch between them all with my place/progress saved between each. I can see how that would save time and effort in a lot of cases. Unfortunately, these good things have been sidelined by what I am about to talk about.

So, positives out of the way, time to talk about negatives, and this honestly pains me to do because it definitely feels like it had a lot of work go into it, with real passion. First off, the lag I get from just using the console is so unbearable that I didn't even want to keep playing geneticist past five minutes of using this thing, it was incredibly frustrating for me and the people I was working on to have to wait for me to stop lagging so I could actually use the buttons. There's a whole lot of technical glitches from the UI that I feel are either caused by the lag, or they ARE causing it, such as the picture inset not being 'stuck' to the page as I scroll through it, like so:
[Image: rHviF25.png]

Also, I APPARENTLY can't even manually fill out the genetic sequence like I used to be able to, although I might just be a dumbass and I'm missing a step or something? But honestly, it makes me not want to even try because interacting with the buttons on the console makes my FPS drop to abysmal levels that I've never seen from SS13. 

Besides technical issues, I think the UI's design itself could stand to be improved. Speaking as a seasoned geneticist veteran, I am having trouble navigating the UI, and while I do think different tabs for different things is great, putting chromosomes + stored mutations on the same tab as the genetic record is NOT great. On shifts with 70+ people, I would have to scroll down past EVERY name just to be able to see my stored mutations + chromosomes, it takes a lot longer than it would with the old UI. In general, the layout itself could stand to be improved. Genetics is touted as an easy job for newcomers, and I can see someone getting disheartened when seeing this, especially if it's their first time playing.

IN CONCLUSION, I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to see it expanded and built upon, but I do not think it was yet ready for public release. I mean no ill intent toward the creators of the console but as a Geneticist main, it's just too clunky for me to use right now.
Hmm, the interface isn't really being laggy for me, just the servers from all the population. I am unable to do manual gene sequence filling out though.

Actually, looking at it closer, it is causing some client lag and looking at the profiler, lots of overhead stress due to the messages
Part 1 of performance improvements: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/3503

(Not being able to manually solve DNA sequences is a bug) Edit: Fixed. Merged the above. -ZeWaka