Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The servers are being renamed and swapped
Exclamation 
Hello!

Today I'm here to talk to you about servers. They're cool little things that we all play the game on and also they have names. You can recognize these names because we helpfully include the word "Goonstation" on all of them, but also because we add a little extra flavor so you know what kind of server it is. This is why you have things like "Goonstation RP" so you know it's a roleplay server.

Now, last year we got a whole butt load of players at once and the server creaked and groaned under the onslaught of 100+ people rounds, so we opened up a couple extra servers and tacked on the word "Overflow" to the names of these servers, to split the load and give everyone a fun experience with as little lag as possible. Well, turns out that works pretty well and those new people stuck around so now there's a bunch of people playing on what was supposed to be a couple of temporary servers.

This week, we're making those overflow servers permanent. Which means we gotta drop that overflow bit of the name. But also, while we're there, we figured "why not rename all the servers so Wire has to move a bunch of server config around, and also to provide a better user experience I guess". This is a pretty big change, so we're gonna wait a little bit to actually do it, so that everyone knows it's coming.

So, without further ado, I announce to you the new Goonstation server list that will be live on Sunday the 31st of January:
  • Goonstation RP (byond://goon1.goonhub.com:26100) is becoming Goonstation Classic 1: Heisenbee.
  • Goonstation (byond://goon2.goonhub.com:26200) is becoming Goonstation Classic 2: Bombini.
  • Goonstation RP Overflow (byond://goon3.goonhub.com:26300) is becoming Goonstation Roleplay 3: Morty.
  • Goonstation Overflow (byond://goon4.goonhub.com:26400) is becoming Goonstation Roleplay 4: Sylvester.
So, essentially, we're grouping up the types of server experiences we offer in a more sane way, and also giving them fun pet names. Please note that "Classic" is simply the same experience as the existing non-RP servers.

When the servers are renamed, please be sure to redo your bookmarks, because your favourite server might be becoming a RP/non-RP server when you're not expecting it. And you wouldn't want to break the rules by doing goofy shit on Sylvester when you were expecting to join overflow, now would you.

Again, these changes are going live on Sunday the 31st of January, put it in yo calendars or something I dunno.

Also, if you have any questions, please do ask them in this thread, which I'm leaving open.

Love, Wire.
Why are we not keeping the order the same? Swapping them seems kind of unnecessary and confusing to me..
The idea is that grouping the types of servers together makes more sense than having a weird order of nonrp->rp->nonrp->rp.

We do recognise that this will be a little confusing at first, but we think it's better in the long term, and will make more sense to new players.
I think the thread title should be updated to clarify that there's something more complicated going on here than server renaming. I wouldn't have paid attention to this if people in Discord hadn't noticed that the RP and main servers were being swapped around.
(01-24-2021, 02:49 PM)sodly Wrote: I think the thread title should be updated to clarify that there's something more complicated going on here than server renaming. I wouldn't have paid attention to this if people in Discord hadn't noticed that the RP and main servers were being swapped around.

Good point, I've changed the topic title.
I'm still made a fool of over the lack of LLJK in the title when server browsing so a new name and order is absolutely going to trip me up for awhile but I can absolutely get on board with it, as it's a very good reason and will probably help a bit with the server min-max lag.
Wire, would it be possible to reword the ingame notice a bit? The way it's worded now would indicate that if you used to play on RP1, you would want to play on Goonstation Classic 1: Heisenbee, as it states "Goonstation Roleplay will become Goonstation Classic 1: Heisenbee". The average user doesn't understand/care about port numbers but rather the experience they are used to; in essence, what we consider to be the RP1 experience now is going to become Goonstation Roleplay 3: Morty while what users currently use as Main Overflow is going to become Goonstation Classic 2: Bombini, etc.

I understand the line following it clarifies somewhat, but without visiting this thread, they may not understand that they will quite literally need to search the server list on the 31st to try to find their correct server, as the normal "Replay Last" button will not bring them to the server they expect.

Thanks!

Edit: There's also a concern that casual players that only play SS13 occasionally may not see the current ingame notice and might also inadvertently join a different server post-Jan 31st. Another smaller notice for a few weeks after the change goes live might be useful as well.

Appreciate it!
WHY DID I FEEL THE NEED TO NECRO THIS MONTHS DEAD STICKY WITH MY OPINION?