Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[CLOSED PR] DMSO - Chem that causes injection on touch with chems
I'm with a lot of the other people in this thread that DMSO adding ability to penetrate skin is much too powerful. Perhaps instead it could reduce effectiveness of clothing that reduces chem absorption, basically letting some chems "pierce" through the protective equipment, but not penetrate the skin and into the bloodstream. Would have to experiment with the exact numbers, but I'd say you ought to need triple digit amounts of DMSO to overcome a biosuit and that adding DMSO to a spray bottle would make it only marginally more effective. This also means DMSO would favor stuff like disease reagents that work well in small doses.

Dimethyl sulfide is neat, though mostly for the possibility of cloud seeding mechanics.
Thanks for ya'lls feedback.  Going to undraft PR, after crunching the number and thinking about the feedback.....

(01-25-2021, 12:33 AM)Carbadox Wrote: ... only but not those with a risk of overdose or any other Ill side effects.
Adjusted to different scaling with Hypospray vs NonHypospray list.

(01-26-2021, 08:32 AM)Leeanei Wrote: The list of healing chems would be a truncated version of the hypo white list, minus styptic and silver sulf because both are poison on ingest.
DMSO would transitions from TOUCH to INJECT, those are only an issue if you eat them.

(01-26-2021, 12:59 PM)Tarmunora Wrote: ... a medical chem whitelist would feel very arbitrary
Agreed, throws flavor under the bus for balance.

(01-26-2021, 01:39 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: I'm with a lot of the other people in this thread that DMSO adding ability to penetrate skin is much too powerful. Perhaps instead it could reduce effectiveness of clothing that reduces chem absorption, basically letting some chems "pierce" through the protective equipment, but not penetrate the skin and into the bloodstream. Would have to experiment with the exact numbers, but I'd say you ought to need triple digit amounts of DMSO to overcome a biosuit and that adding DMSO to a spray bottle would make it only marginally more effective. This also means DMSO would favor stuff like disease reagents that work well in small doses.

Dimethyl sulfide is neat, though mostly for the possibility of cloud seeding mechanics.
I think that is a super interesting idea.  As far as I could tell that really only impacts fluid groups currently, but that would be an interesting means of mitigating the inherent protection that shoes provide until you get up there in fluid amounts.  Not sure of a non-antag use case.

Cloud seeding for Sov's procedural biomes!?!?