Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[CLOSED PR] DMSO - Chem that causes injection on touch with chems
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[feature][input wanted]
About the PR
Adds DMSO, a miscible liquid that causes chemicals to be readily absorbed through the skin. For better or for worse!

Adds Dimethyl sulfide:
* Smells bad
* Precursor chem

Adds Dimethyl sulfoxide:
* When splashed, all other reagents that are part of the splash have a chance of penetrating the targets skin. (Factors in clothing)
* "Splash/Touch" effect has 5 second cooldown.
* Units transferred limited to minimum of DMSO amount splashed (to scale on DMSO mixture), volume of reagent splashed (based on other reagent amount), and 20 (hard cap because water tanks).
* Effectiveness of transfer based on gear jobs spawn vs chem type (hypospray list vs everything else).
[Image: 107732670-c5e20c80-6cad-11eb-8c61-0ab2c46675e0.png]

* Mild analgesic

Fluid Adjustments:
* Fluids on turf with units 2 or less will be ignored by shoes.
* Pre-calculate fluid depth on creation and addition of fluid/fluid-groups to ensure entering a fluid determines appropriate clothing is checked for chem reactions.

Why's this needed?
Provides a different vector for injection. Intended to give doctors an alternative means of administrating drugs but also offers a breadth of "opportunities" to antags.

Code:
changelog
(u)Azrun:
(*)Adds DMSO, a chemical that allows splashed reagents to be absorbed through your skin....

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Definitely interested in feedback regarding blacklist/whitelist chems, discussions on scaling quantity absorbed, and why this is a terrible idea.

This is my first real chemistry "thing" but I saw this as a precursor to what I was really interested in doing.... CAPSULE ROUNDS FOR PEW PEW. And I honestly needed to implement it so I would stop thinking about it. Psy-yi-yi
I remember this being brainstormed ages ago. I sorta feel like it's gonna have major balance issues.
This chem would basically let antags transfer death chems into people's bloodstream instantly, without the delay of pill forcefeeding and without spending the TC on sleepypen.

Perhaps make it care about the reagent volume? So you need at least equal parts of DMSO and other reagents in the mix for it to work
(01-24-2021, 04:03 AM)TTerc Wrote: This chem would basically let antags transfer death chems into people's bloodstream instantly, without the delay of pill forcefeeding and without spending the TC on sleepypen.

Perhaps make it care about the reagent volume? So you need at least equal parts of DMSO and other reagents in the mix for it to work
antags can already do that just by throwing a drinking glass at someones face
(01-24-2021, 06:03 AM)subjectparfait Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 04:03 AM)TTerc Wrote: This chem would basically let antags transfer death chems into people's bloodstream instantly, without the delay of pill forcefeeding and without spending the TC on sleepypen.

antags can already do that just by throwing a drinking glass at someones face

Only with chems that penetrate skin.
Yes, this does ingest effects which is different than surface splashes. So you can deliver near instant kills with this from thrown beakers, beaker splashes, and potentially trigger ingest effects from chems spreading as liquids or aerosols.

my personal reaction: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

big note on those near instant kills from throws: without using explosives. its a big deal for people that want to hunt antags with chems, since they won't risk breaches.
(01-24-2021, 03:08 PM)Leeanei Wrote: big note on those near instant kills from throws: without using explosives. its a big deal for people that want to hunt antags with chems, since they won't risk breaches.

yeah, chemistry is already deadly enough, this will just make validhunting chemnerds even more obnoxious than they already are.
Don't like this at all, would make instant application of Very Strong chems very easy for non-antags, can imagine 'fun' things like neurotoxin and phlog being poured on wizards or lings or what-have-you. Chemistry needs careful consideration wrt balance and this PR does not Have Careful Consideration imo
I think this would be cool for chem nerds to mess around with if it applies to Medical chems only but not those with a risk of overdose or any other Ill side effects.
Otherwise, it'd be terrifying
This would be chemical horror
Worth mentioning how effective spray bottles would be with this too for sure
Getting the vibe that this might be on the fast track to 'Bad threads / terrible or unusable ideas!'.

I currently plan to try and attempt to address all actionable concerns/criticism.  If this does end up being a big flop maybe this will help someone in the future.

Chemical transfer will need to be take into account for NT and Syndicate Syringe Guns, as not to step on toes of an existing and limited item.

----

(01-24-2021, 04:03 AM)TTerc Wrote: Perhaps make it care about the reagent volume? So you need at least equal parts of DMSO and other reagents in the mix for it to work
Great minds!  Planning on clamping volume max based on relative DMSO amount and possibly standard splash amount +/-.

(01-24-2021, 06:22 PM)Flaborized Wrote: ... Chemistry needs careful consideration wrt balance and this PR does not Have Careful Consideration imo
Understood and I appreciate feedback.  Planning to look at existing vectors where this interaction would come into play and compare to aerosolization (which has a hard counter).  Big part will be characterizing existing use of permeability on gear on round start gear across jobs, as that would be the major mitigation factor for the playerbase.

(01-25-2021, 12:33 AM)Carbadox Wrote: I think this would be cool for chem nerds to mess around with if it applies to Medical chems only but not those with a risk of overdose or any other Ill side effects.
Otherwise, it'd be terrifying
I do feel like that would turn the PR into a much easier pill to swallow, but the depth added feels like it would negligible.  I'd imagine the gamer play would then be to make a couple of pools outside medbay of styptic powder + silver sulfadizine + DMSO and people would just stand/flop around in them until they get healed and then they never have to come inside! But maybe that is just another example of this PR being problematic.  everyman smith  

(01-25-2021, 10:43 AM)Recusor Wrote: Worth mentioning how effective spray bottles would be with this too for sure
Good call. Demonology 101
The list of healing chems would be a truncated version of the hypo white list, minus styptic and silver sulf because both are poison on ingest.
I can't see this being a good add - chem doesn't need more hellchem application methods, and a medical chem whitelist would feel very arbitrary