Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Adds an action bar to eating, componentizes food stuff
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[FEATURE]
About the PR

Adds an action bar to eating anything edible, starting at 1 second, and increasing significantly depending on if the thing eaten is an organ and/or you're feeding it to someone else.

The action bar isn't interrupted when you move or click on things if you're the one eating the thing.

Most of the fancy things food items did, like heal you when eaten, give status effects, and have visible chunks removed when bitten have been made into components, able to be applied to just about anything.

The organs now take multiple bites to finish eating, and biting it causes damage to them. They also start visibly missing pieces when bitten, thanks to the component.

Most edibility checks have been moved to the mob's can_eat() proc, which is called from the item's Eat() proc. Seems to work just fine.

Foods that do certain things when eaten, like shooting razor blades into your mouth, have been turned into a proc that gets run when COMSIG_ITEM_CONSUMED_PARTIAL is signaled. Similar thing for stuff that happens when it gets finishes eating, with COMSIG_ITEM_CONSUMED_ALL.

Organ points and heals are also done per-bite, but the points now have a 30% chance per expected point of being granted. So, hearts would have around a 60% chance of giving 2 points per bite.

Why's this needed?

Ancient request. Also I wanted to make it so that you'd only eat organs if you *really really meant to*.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Superlagg:
(*)Added an action bar to feeding other people things, and made organs take multiple bites to eat.
(+)Metachroitic factor now only has a 30% chance of being granted per point per bite.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I think that action bars are rather ugly and that using them for something as common as eating would look bad.
I agree with kyle. Not everything needs an action bar.
I can get behind action bars for feeding things to others, so there's a visual cue as to what you're doing, but I don't think it's needed for chowing down yourself.
yes to action bar for feeding others. no to action bar for feeding yourself
I believe action bars should be reserved to when you do stuff to OTHER things/people. Not when you do stuff to YOURSELF.
Okay, I'll remove the actionbar for you eating things that aren't organs. I think I'll leave it in if you're eating organs, though, since it's intended as a warning that you're doing something with it that you might not want to be doing.

--

And done, no more actionbar when feeding yourself things that aren't organs. It's also instant, too!
Perhaps eating organs should function more like how eating other food works where it takes a "bite" out of the sprite and puts some of the food into your stomach and it will simply do brute damage to the organ each bite.
(01-22-2021, 05:25 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Perhaps eating organs should function more like how eating other food works where it takes a "bite" out of the sprite and puts some of the food into your stomach and it will simply do brute damage to the organ each bite.

Oh, forgot to mention, it does that! Taking bites out of organs damages it based on the organ's bite damage var (or slightly more than the organ's fail damage if the var isnt set). It'll also show visible bites taken out of it, dependant on how damaged the organ is after biting it.

Though I dont think it'd add a food chunk to your character, unless the organ contains reagents.