AnguishedEnglish - Mentor Application
Usual character name: Whitney Stingray
BYOND username: AnguishedEnglish
Discord username (if you are on our discord): AnguishedEnglish#9623
Recommended by (if applicable): Maddox Beck, MaskedMan2, Awkward Dryad and a few others who's names I forgot.  (Sorry!)
Goon servers you play: Goon 1

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):
I have been playing on Goonstation for well over half a year now, back in June of 2020, and during that time, it has been my go-to place to play and have fun.  I have made many friends and memories in Goon 1 and I find it a great privilege to be a part of this wonderful community.  When I first joined, I had no idea what to expect.  I had no idea what I was doing, and I thought everyone was out to get me.  As time went on, however, those feelings slowly faded.  Most of the people I met were calm, collective and answered any questions I had about the game.  It shook me, seeing as how most people interpret this game as a “Trust Nobody” kind of game.  It taught me to relax and appreciate the game for what it was, which at its core is a role-playing game.

For the longest time, I had thought about becoming a Mentor to help teach new players the ropes and basics.  I always enjoy helping others, even if it is with something small like basic controls.  New players are what keep Space Station 13 alive and well and we must all do our part to make sure they enjoy their experience, whether it be for just one game or many games to come.  I, for one, believe that a well taught new player is a happy new player.  The more they learn, the more they will want to stay, and Goonstation has a lot to offer.

As far as experience goes, I know a good amount of almost everything.  I have had my fair share of Security, Medical and other jobs over the months and I am always willing to learn more about them for years to come. 

In the end, I enjoy Goonstation very much and Space Station 13 has become a part of my life now.  I dread to think of what my life would be like if I did not play this game or have even heard of it.  Everyone I have met has been helpful and I want to give back to this community the best I can!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
It's not something I enjoy bringing up, but I was once banned for five hours for spraying an officer with phlog as the Mime.  It hardened me, being banned like that, but I like to think I've learned from my mistake.  Those were the worst five hours of my life.
Beeg +1 !!! They're an absolute joy to be around ( ^ - ^ )
Very good player. Very nice player. Not a single bad experience with them, good app. Easy +1
Yeah! Whitney's a good player and fun to interact with. Good mentor material, give purp.
+1
Whitneys a cool dude give them purple smile +1
+1, Whitney seems to know what is needed and would make a good mentor
+1, Knows there stuff and is very informative of the core mechanics of the gameplay. They are also kind enough to approach and ask questions and help guide anyone.
Doesn't say much. Quietly Meanders about, seemingly without cause or purpose. Some may conclude that he is abrasive and not worthy of notice.
Contrarily, Whitney is conscientious of others. Diligent in any task they undertake, he has proven himself to be reliable and steadfast in any matter.

He may wait quietly & patiently nearby, so as to give opportunity for you to try before stepping in to offer help.
It is obvious, he has found a balance between being impeding and accommodating. It seems to come naturally.
It is with great frequency that I have witnessed Whitney advising and or tutoring others. Even at times to myself.

I have yet to witness Whitney act unnecessarily aggressive or abusive to other players.
Rather, his attitude seems to be one of Goonstation Excellency. Worthy of commendation.

Whitney has an excellent sense of humor, not always in what he says, but in what he does. He brings smiles to other player's faces, I'm sure.
In this regard, Whitney's mere presence is a refreshment to the crew. Though we don't interact often, it is an encouragement knowing he's around.

All said, I must recommend AnguishedEnglish for Mentor role, adamantly and persistently. +1
I've seen Whitney around the station, and I think they're definitely knowledgeable enough to be a mentor. However, I've also had some recent negative experiences with them. For instance, there was a round where they arrested and stripped the HoS because the HoS didn't give a wizard a fair trial. I think that mentors especially should be expected to not mess with security in such a way.

Basically, I'd like to see a longer period of uninterrupted good behavior and respecting other players. No from me for now.
(01-30-2021, 01:42 PM)Flourish Wrote: I've seen Whitney around the station, and I think they're definitely knowledgeable enough to be a mentor. However, I've also had some recent negative experiences with them. For instance, there was a round where they arrested and stripped the HoS because the HoS didn't give a wizard a fair trial. I think that mentors especially should be expected to not mess with security in such a way.

Basically, I'd like to see a longer period of uninterrupted good behavior and respecting other players. No from me for now.

Okay, I'll put my hands up, you got me on that one.  I did take part in a small uprising of the HoS that round due to something that I and a few others believed was wrong and I like to think I've learned from my mistake.  I gave into the peer pressure from a few other players and that kind of behavior should only be reserved for antags, which I was not.  HOWEVER, I did not arrest and strip the HoS of their things, that crime belongs to a Lyn Nakamura.  All I really took was their boots, which is a running joke I have with a few HoS's where I jokingly ask for their boots.  That's about the worst I did to them that round, where as others arrested them or poured acid on their heads.

In the end, I respect and understand your -1, but I don't feel like I should be judged in eligibility solely on a single bad instance, one that isn't mostly my fault for that matter.
Whitney has always been friendly and pleasant to be around whenever I've run into them on the station. They strike me as someone who would take the responsibility seriously and enjoy the opportunity to help out new players. I'd happily give them a +1
+1 from me. Whitney has been a good egg in all my interactions which have been quite frequent over the past few months.
The admin team has decided to reject this Mentor application due to concerns about some patterns of rules-breaking behavior. As is case for everyone, you can ask an admin over the Discord to get sent your admin notes. Feel free to reapply 60 days from today.