Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP server 13th (ass day event?)
Id recently had heard that assday was removed from goonstation main which is probably for the best after reading about its history.
But how about ass day for roleplay, but instead of essentially laxing the rules around griefing/doing nutty shit, ass day on goonstation roleplay instead enables game modes that are normally disabled, like nuke ops and gangs and such. I am someone who plays virtually exclusively on the RP server and so have never played a nuke op round before or seen a blob, it would be a nice to have to see these modes come on maybe once in a while (like maybe the 13th of every month?). I am also a little skeptical that RP wouldnt be able to take a slightly more chaotic mode here and there (especially since ive played nuke ops on HRP servers before with vastly more strict rules on antags and players regarding IC actions just fine) but thats getting off track. 

P.S Anyone have a decent book on writing Byond code so I can turn these suggestions into PRs?
I recommend you join the discord server! We have an #imcoder channel with lots of useful resources, and you can ask questions there too about codering!
BRING ASSDAY BACK
I MISS CHAOS
Bring back ass day but give everyone a syndicate uplink every round.
BRING ASSDAY BACK

I MISS CHAOS

TOO
It's rude of you three to hijack this thread to just post about bringing back regular ass day. If you feel so strongly about it, I recommend making a separate thread instead of using this thread, which is more like a spinoff idea than actually about assday.

Regarding the original topic; IMO this would best be implemented, if it were to be done, in just one of the two RP servers, likely the overflow one. As long as people on the main RP server are made aware of it, I think that could do well to give some people the chance to check out those modes in a RP context, while still allowing uninterested people to just use the mainRP for the day. I am aware that some people do use the RP Overflow; I'd like to clarify have no intention of trying to make it sound like their preferred server doesn't matter.
Kinda off topic folks, ass day was a main station exclusive thing, I only named it such because I suggested using the same monthly date and because it would bring a little more chaos to the generally lower chaos servers, make your own thread though. (Also ass day was removed because people kept breaking the line between lax rules and griefing no?)
I think enabling Main antagonist options while keeping RP rules on for a single day would be pretty neat for testing how well the two go together. Obviously it would have to depend on how most people would react to it
We did gangs testing on RP, it went pretty poorly without considering the bugs. Bill has run a few rev rounds but I understand even on RP they were just brawls. Wizard ends in massive bloodshed, because their kit is entirely rampage oriented. Nukies depends entirely on the nuke ops in question, but I dunno how people will feel about the round getting cut short in that mode.

The bulk of the work either way is gunna fall on the admins because the core RP rules are still going to be enabled. I've heard that even on obvious gimmick rounds people still ahelp like crazy, so a whole day of "admin gimmick" rounds is gunna be...something.
IDK, personally I think that its the players that make the difference in quality of RP, not what antag roll they get.
If something like this was put in, I'd just... not play on RP for those days, because stuff like blob, wizard, and nukies tend to rapidly devolve to "install bullet in spaceman until spaceman is dead".

There's a reason all the rampagey antag types do not exist on RP. I've been in a few nukie rounds, a blob round, and a few Gangs rounds... Gang, conceptually would be fine, but in reality it tends to turn into team deathmatch very, very quickly.
Worth noting: you can still RP on the non-RP servers, it's just not a "requirement". Many people still do.

If the goal is "slower pace of RP server + these fast-paced game modes", that doesn't really seem like a great combo to me.
I have a creeping sensation that, more than usual, what I'm going to say is going to be misinterpreted as official decree, so I want to stress that this is just my personal opinions rather than the will of the entire team.

I agree with the idea that a good roleplayer can overcome an antag's lackluster RP capability, but for the antags currently available only to non-RP (gangs, blob, wraith, wizard, revs, etc.) I think design is such a huge constraint  that I wouldn't be comfortable with letting the randomness of the antag selector choose. That reasoning I think is kinda why a lot of RP gang and nuclear rounds people liked were under careful watch of an admins, who hand-picked people. There is an continuum of course; I think nukies and gang members (and maybe to some extent revs) are more conductive to RP than wizard, werewolf, or blob.

If a day where nuclear, blob, and similar game modes would be possible on RP were to exist, it would need to have it so 1) the modes would entirely admin-run events 2) the game modes/antags are redesigned to better facilitate RP and/or 3) there are extra/stricter rules on that day. I do not think only making those modes possible on RP is enough. I don't think it's impossible, for the Nightshade/TomatoGaming servers did it, but they had a special set of rules and a fairly active administration to make it work.

Also, this is minor, but I disagree with the idea that Ass Day (and Ass Jam while we're here) was removed due to people violating rules. People didn't really have fun with it, and there were a lot of reasons why (e.g. not enough admin gimmicks to keep people entertained, culture shift away from random grief), but I think the biggest problem was that lack of griefing rules emphasized having fun at many others' expense--and all these were completely within the rules. (And Ass Jam had conflicting foci that lead to many problems, with rules just being one of them.)
Maybe this idea would be better as periodic tests to see if an antag type works on RP? Shaking up the rotation might not be so bad.
(01-18-2021, 05:08 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: I have a creeping sensation that, more than usual, what I'm going to say is going to be misinterpreted as official decree, so I want to stress that this is just my personal opinions rather than the will of the entire team.

the gospel has been spoken! /s
(01-18-2021, 05:08 PM)Studenterhue Wrote: Also, this is minor, but I disagree with the idea that Ass Day (and Ass Jam while we're here) was removed due to people violating rules. People didn't really have fun with it, and there were a lot of reasons why (e.g. not enough admin gimmicks to keep people entertained, culture shift away from random grief), but I think the biggest problem was that lack of griefing rules emphasized having fun at many others' expense--and all these were completely within the rules. (And Ass Jam had conflicting foci that lead to many problems, with rules just being one of them.)
Ive never seen an ass day(as I play on RP EXCLUSIVELY, not a big fan of half of station gone in 20 minutes every 2nd round unless its some cool event that has pre-warning), I was only saying my ill informed conclusion after reading about ass day on the wiki.