Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
I am not a fan of the recent changes to the bovine genetics trait.
"Cows now can't wear shoes (but are immune to stepping on regular and plasma glass shards) and have hemophilia, and also have a +3 damage bonus when kicking people."

As someone who only plays as a cow, basically all of this except plasma shards are a severe downside.

I liked wearing shoes for cosmetic reasons, this removes it and adds two negligible upsides. How often is plasmaglass on the floor outside of complete chaos rounds and some dungeons?

The +3 kick damage is nice, but if I'm in a fight i'm likely not going to try to kick someone to death. I'll have a 10 damage fire extinguisher or something in my bag.

Shoes can potentially have a lot of upsides in this game, too. Military boots give a little armor and thermal resistance (Negligible, but still there) and Cleats from the space-american football kit simply let you do more kick damage already. Janitor's galoshes or magic sandals being negated is quite a huge blow as well.

Hemophilia really tops it off as painful. Bleeding is quite debilitating and needs actual medical attention instead of a quick brute fix, I already get in some blood troubles when I have to get drastic surgeries done, but if someone does them without clamps now I have a very real risk of dying in exchange for +3 kick damage.

Please roll back the no-shoes thing at least, I like wearing them cosmetically. If there's a way to make them have no effects when they're on, that's totally fine too.
Doesn't being unable to wear shoes render bovine clowns impossible?
(01-14-2021, 04:47 PM)Camryn Wrote: Doesn't being unable to wear shoes render bovine clowns impossible?

This would be true as well. They would be shamed from birth.
More unique muta-trances are a good thing.

I welcome these changes with a whole heart; also - a singular brute-patch is not even supposed to fix bleeding for humans anymore.
That has been changed a couple months back.

Carry bandages with you - get your cow survival kit with an extra syringe of saline.

- - -

Plasma-shards immunity is a pretty good thing in my opinion.

- - -

I feel like...the easiest solution to this would be for someone to create a cow-suit that can be bought from the clown vendor. Then people could dress up as a cow without being one; looking kinda off - but - hey...that be a compromise.

Bovines being able to wear shoes is silly.
(01-14-2021, 04:47 PM)Camryn Wrote: Doesn't being unable to wear shoes render bovine clowns impossible?

Easy fix: make clown shoes specifically able to be worn by any mutant race. Them's some damn big shoes.
(01-14-2021, 04:35 PM)Cal Wrote: The +3 kick damage is nice, but if I'm in a fight i'm likely not going to try to kick someone to death. I'll have a 10 damage fire extinguisher or something in my bag.

Yeah that's fair. I upped the kick damage to +4, which is the same as cleats. If you or others still think that's not good enough, I could maybe be convinced to bring it up to +5.

The no-shoes is the biggest flavor thing for the mutantrace currently, so I don't really want to revert it. Can you identify the particular reason you like wearing shoes cosmetically so much? Would it be possible to recreate that joy with some other mechanic or feature?

(01-14-2021, 04:35 PM)Cal Wrote: Hemophilia really tops it off as painful. Bleeding is quite debilitating and needs actual medical attention instead of a quick brute fix, I already get in some blood troubles when I have to get drastic surgeries done, but if someone does them without clamps now I have a very real risk of dying in exchange for +3 kick damage.

I can look into surgery code and see if I can slightly reduce the bleed or damage across the board.

(01-15-2021, 06:15 AM)Camryn Wrote:

Easy fix: make clown shoes specifically able to be worn by any mutant race. Them's some damn big shoes.

Yeah I did basically what you said. Good catch!
(01-15-2021, 05:59 PM)Flourish Wrote: The no-shoes is the biggest flavor thing for the mutantrace currently, so I don't really want to revert it. Can you identify the particular reason you like wearing shoes cosmetically so much? Would it be possible to recreate that joy with some other mechanic or feature?
How about being able to color in their hoves? Similar to how hair-color paint is applied...just when selecting the left and right leg accordingly.

That might add some customization to please people.
The reason I like wearing shoes cosmetically is pretty much the noise they make, honestly.

Also, please consider adding:

- Galoshes
- Magboots
- Magic sandals
- Red/black heels 
- Boom boots
- HoS's big stompy boots (does NTSO get these?)

to the cow-shoes whitelist. 

That's pretty much all I want, those functions are kinda vital.

If not, I'd be satisfied with either the heels or just having hooves naturally make clicky noises that heels do, makes more sense to me than the sneaker noises anyway.
Do the cows still move as fast without shoes as spacemen do with shoes?
The idea of cow hooves and heels is patently absurd to me. What even?
(01-15-2021, 06:24 PM)GORE Wrote: How about being able to color in their hoves? Similar to how hair-color paint is applied...just when selecting the left and right leg accordingly.

That might add some customization to please people.

That's a great idea Gore! Adds even more flavor and makes being shoeless a bit more of a unique and cool thing rather than a straight up "you're missing out on shoes". I'll add that.

(01-15-2021, 06:41 PM)Cal Wrote: The reason I like wearing shoes cosmetically is pretty much the noise they make, honestly.

If not, I'd be satisfied with either the heels or just having hooves naturally make clicky noises that heels do, makes more sense to me than the sneaker noises anyway.

I can definitely change the noise to the clicky one heels make, along with the idea Gore mentioned!
Both suggestions have been implemented!
Cow people should crawl faster...cause they're used to walking on all fours.

And they make clopping noises while they do it
Faster crawling seems more like something that would work best for roaches.
I'd note that without shoes cows cannot utilize the Space American Football kit at all  - since you need to wear the cleats to get the bonuses from the set. Just something that I discovered during a traitor round with the bovine trait that made me remember this thread. I do like the change though for the most part for what its worth