Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Neat Packet & Mechcomp Accomplishments & Ideas
Video 
As the title suggests, I just wanna see/hear about any neat things you've done or seen accomplished during a round.  I never hear about Packets normally, so why not make it easier to tell about them!

I eagerly await your Elite HackerMan Extraordinaire Shenanigans!
I've always enjoyed making a telepad critter farm on ass day / when I was a traitor. But my greatest accomplishment has to be the mechcomp contraption that replaced the regular text at the top of the telesci console with "nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds".
My own personal best is the following system:

A wifi component will sniff out all PDA messages and extract the message and sender, storing them in a signal builder, and then determining what kind of message it is (direct PM, group, mailbot, or announcement [no address_1/group]) and then extracted the *recipient* name from that. In order to do this, it sends out a command=report_pda, which then outputs to a signal-check. The trigger string of this is set to the address of the recipient, so as soon as that person's PDA responds, it'll be able to extract the PDA owner's name, and then tie that back into the signal builder from earlier. Notably, there are multiple signal builders that just neatly compile the details into a legible format separated with pipes (|).

The resulting string is then compiled into the 'data' field of a packet which is addressed to a TermOS console built specifically just to receive messages. The message packet is then sent over the PNET and outputs to the console, visually displaying the intercepted message. Then, a moment later, a series of dashes is sent to separate the messages out a bit to reduce clutter.

The cabinet also has a toggle for whether or not it allows mailbot messages to be sniffed and processed, just to reduce spam.
Farting with an implanted GPS received me to my offstation telesci pad at sequestered cloner.

Automatically teleport anyone with a health and tracking implant that went into crit to medbay.

Nuke charge set to go off if anyone said "sp*ss" over the radio.
(01-14-2021, 02:03 PM)pali6 Wrote: I've always enjoyed making a telepad critter farm on ass day / when I was a traitor. But my greatest accomplishment has to be the mechcomp contraption that replaced the regular text at the top of the telesci console with "nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds nerds".

Very epic dunking on the nerds
not mine, from many years ago:

a remote setup that receives PDA packets and launches a pie with an ID card inside at a door thats been electrified. Anyone who PDA messages the device is electrocuted as the way the code is written they were the usr who touched the door
Box Ta and I created a bunker lock system where every 3 minutes it generates a new code and pda messages it to you, it also creates a new code whenever its used so that nobody can follow you in.
Once I reprogrammed all of the guard buddies on the station to march back and forth between research and the bridge chanting "BUDDIES ON STRIKE! BUDDIES ON STRIKE!"
(01-15-2021, 06:49 AM)glassofmilk Wrote: Once I reprogrammed all of the guard buddies on the station to march back and forth between research and the bridge chanting "BUDDIES ON STRIKE! BUDDIES ON STRIKE!"

Very nice, that must have been a sight to see!
ive created a shakespeare bot, which showed up on the pda messenger list and would reply with a line that is atleast 5 words from the first 2000 or so letters of hamlet. i planned on making it have a subcription and unsubscription functions but i never got around to it
I had made a teleport network with microphones in which you could say outloud the desired destination like "medbay" or "qm" and it would send you there.
Too annoying to setup and people unfortunately don't use it even with instruction notices laying around.
Oh I also had a telepad controlled by mechcomp and DWAINE scripts. Whatever I texted it (it showed up in my messenger and my messenger only), it would relay the contents of the message to the mainframe spoofed as a message from a terminal. This let me send commands to teleport! I also had a check for if a keyword 'MyLoc' was present in the message. If it was, it'd use a RegEx Replace component to replace 'MyLoc' with the X Y coords from the PDA in my backpack. Essentially I could text it 'recv MyLoc' and I'd just be teleported out a couple seconds after. Was very fun to teleport around the ship, but in hindsight it was a liiiittle much for RP.
While we r on the topic of packet/mechcomp things, i think this would be a good place to share ideas of what you want to see done in mechcomp or packetry
(01-18-2021, 09:29 AM)Boxta Wrote: While we r on the topic of packet/mechcomp things, i think this would be a good place to share ideas of what you want to see done in mechcomp or packetry

Good Idea!  Thread title has been updated
Random ideas:

Microphones can detect farts.

A robocritter that accepts WiFi packet commands.

Mulebot packet integration.

Bitcoin mining.

A dispenser component for shops.

Tesla electric fences.

Faraday cage.

Conveyor belts.