Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.83 Average
combine the "struck by a projectile" message and the ranged protection message
I couldn't think of a more succinct title.

Anyways, currently when you are shot by a projectile, your chat window prints a message, "You are struck by the bullet!", or something along those lines.  If you are wearing gear with a ranged protection stat, your chat window then prints the message "Your armor softens the hit", or, if you were hit by AP rounds, something along the lines of "The shot pierces through your armor!".  Since different messages don't stack, what would be
Code:
You are struck by the bullet! (x3)
when you are unarmored becomes
Code:
You are struck by the bullet!
Your armor softens the hit.
You are struck by a bullet!
if you are wearing armor.  If you're shot from a close enough range then it can become the thoroughly ridiculous
Code:
Nukie fires Sirius Assault rifle at the steel floor.

This causes client side lag, and the more messages that get printed the worse it is.  (I'm not kidding when I say byond has frozen from point-blank LMG fire)

What I propose is that the struck by a projectile message and the "you have ranged resistance >1" messages be condensed into one line.  "You are struck by the bullet, but your armor softens the hit!" or "You are struck by the bullet, and it pierces through your armor!".  This would allow the messages to stack, thus turning

Code:
You are struck by a bullet!

into
Code:
You are struck by the bullet, but your armor softens the hit! (x3)

Unfortunately I don't know shit about programming, so there may very well be a reason why this isn't already done.