Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Adds debuffs for hunger and thirst motives, removes dropped clicks
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[INPUT] [REWORK] [WIKI]

About the PR

This PR concerns the motives system on the RP servers. It adds debuffs in the form of status effects (which will be visible in the upper right like other status effects!) when your hunger or thirst meters drop below 25. The hunger debuff reduces your maximum health by 20, while the thirst debuff reduces your stamina regeneration by 3. Once your meter goes above 25, the debuffs are removed. This PR also removes the dropped click mechanic because I think it's really unintuitive and unfun gameplay, and also because I think these debuffs should be enough.

I'd love players' input on these numbers and whether they think they'll be okay. An idea I had was that once you receive a debuff at 25, you have to eat or drink enough to get your motive back up to 50, but I'm not sure how different that would be in terms of actual gameplay.

Why's this needed?

I think this is definitely more engaging than dropped clicks, and also adds a bit of risk in not eating or drinking enough.

Changelog

Code:
(u)Flourish:
(*)The motives system on RP has been slightly reworked. Instead of dropping clicks when your overall motives are too low, you now receive a maximum health debuff when your hunger is too low, and a stamina regeneration debuff when your thirst is too low.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
sounds like a good idea, in my opinion. i’m forming my thoughts around the understanding that by dropped clicks, you mean the “you don’t feel like doing that” pop ups. if i’m wrong, please correct me

it makes sense from both a realistic and rp standpoint to have this system instead, since it’s still debilitating enough to make you think, “yeah i should probably take care of my motives now” but also not cut your gameplay when there’s not a way to fill your motives at that time. the numbers seem fair, i’d honestly up the stamina debuff to maybe 4 or 5 since 25 is pretty low on thirst, and drinks are much easier to come across than food. dehydration can leave you physically exhausted, trust me. if i’m interpreting it correctly, i like this idea a lot
sure! whether the numbers are right where they need to be or not, idk yet; i run myself ragged a lot on rp and drive my motives sub-30 all the time, so something like this would be good so i can still do my stuff on station with penalty but without it being essentialized to take a break if things are too busy to step away. my only concern is if this were expanded to hygiene since that one's really tricky to keep up (but not tricky to bring up). carrying a body from one side of the station to the other effectively destroys your hygiene motive in one trip, versus the hour that has to go into neglecting the other two for them to get driven that low.
(01-13-2021, 09:32 PM)Retrino Wrote: sounds like a good idea, in my opinion. i’m forming my thoughts around the understanding that by dropped clicks, you mean the “you don’t feel like doing that” pop ups. if i’m wrong, please correct me

Yep, you're correct!

(01-13-2021, 09:32 PM)Retrino Wrote: the numbers seem fair, i’d honestly up the stamina debuff to maybe 4 or 5 since 25 is pretty low on thirst, and drinks are much easier to come across than food.

I was thinking about making it 4 or 5, but I wasn't sure if it'd be too much. You have a good point with drinks being a lot easier to come across though, so maybe I'll do this!

(01-13-2021, 09:50 PM)nefarious6th Wrote: my only concern is if this were expanded to hygiene since that one's really tricky to keep up (but not tricky to bring up). carrying a body from one side of the station to the other effectively destroys your hygiene motive in one trip, versus the hour that has to go into neglecting the other two for them to get driven that low.

Agreed, hygiene is definitely trickier, so I haven't really thought about adding an accompanying debuff for that. I'm open to ideas though! Or, we can just stick with what we have right now.
The dropped clicks mechanic was really frustrating especially when you got a bunch in a row. I honestly thought that the needs system would be how this new PR does it from the beginning before playing on RP.
"You don't feel like doing that"

i am all for this, even if it would be an excuse to remove the message, i just want it gone.
Thirst debuff has been changed to reduce stamina regen by 5, and this PR has been merged! If you think any of these debuffs are too strong or weak, or have further ideas, let me know and I can adjust things!
Low hygiene is definitely a bit of a tricky one; as a few quick thoughts, though:

Disease communicability. By having lower hygiene, you catch diseases more easily and maybe transmit them more easily (though punishing others for your negligence doesn't seem like great design philosophy), but having great hygiene should actually protect you a fair bit.

A way to tell who exactly stinks to be able to more easily add in RP motivation for it.

As an alternative, how about contamination of food and stuff? Whenever you eat food and have horrible hygiene, you're more likely to get food poisoning. And, occasionally when holding stuff like beakers, you may cause a unit or two of various things to get in - carbon and sweat or something idk. On a vein related to the food poisoning, poor hygiene should occasionally give you the cold or something, which only really is able to infect people who also have poor hygiene.

Increasing the time it takes to perform certain actions??? This one feels really arbitrary but I suppose it's better to propose it than not, probably
I'd go the opposite direction for hygiene. Instead of having it give a debuff when down, have it give a buff when high, so it's only really immaculate cleanliness that matters
hygiene should be purely cosmetic in my opinion. you should not be punished for being a smelly space hobo