Poll: Dedicated pathologist job?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
22.73%
5 22.73%
Yes
77.27%
17 77.27%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IDEA: new pathologist job
Currently anyone with med access (or science on some maps) can access pathology, That's a problem considering how many have that. It might be wise to have a dedicated pathology access level and pathologist to decrease the odds of traitors getting the roll and making it harder for people to accidentally waltz into infected areas
+1 to this, makes sense
Pathology is actually just the extended janitors closet, where they research the best ways to disinfect surfaces
As someone who was actually here when pathology was a thing, let me put in my two cents.

*ahem*

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES PATHOLOGY GETTING UP AND RUNNING UNTIL ITS PROBLEMS ARE IRONED OUT I'M BEGGING YOU!

Pathology is difficult to use even when you're just trying to find cures for something a Pathologist nerd created to kill everyone with, and when it was a common thing even the QM console didn't really help you like this, instead taking the entire stations budget and going "Ya know what, ya don't need a cure. Have fun with that."

If pathology can be made into a state where dealing with it isn't the worst part of the server then I'd be all for it, but right now I have to say good lord, no.
(01-16-2021, 04:08 PM)Technature Wrote: As someone who was actually here when pathology was a thing, let me put in my two cents.

*ahem*

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES PATHOLOGY GETTING UP AND RUNNING UNTIL ITS PROBLEMS ARE IRONED OUT I'M BEGGING YOU!

Pathology is difficult to use even when you're just trying to find cures for something a Pathologist nerd created to kill everyone with, and when it was a common thing even the QM console didn't really help you like this, instead taking the entire stations budget and going "Ya know what, ya don't need a cure.  Have fun with that."

If pathology can be made into a state where dealing with it isn't the worst part of the server then I'd be all for it, but right now I have to say good lord, no.

But surely a dedicated patho job and others having their access restricted means less overall people can mess with patho, meaning less pathology bullshit?

I don't have an opinion either way, but I'm not sure I understand your reasoning.
My reasoning is people will be in one of two groups.

1. Nerds who know everything about pathology and use it constantly for when their antag round comes up and they're able to unleash a death virus on the station, meaning everyone will either hope that someone else will know what they're doing quick enough to cure the pathogen or force the shuttle to come in at the half hour mark.

2. People who pick Pathology cause the other medical slots they wanted were already taken.

And while it means less people can mess with it freely, the big problem is you only need one asshole for the station to be filled with plasma farting, Shakespeare quoting, internally combusting people, and fixing that before it's too late is borderline impossible if several people aren't able to contribute to stopping it.

And pathology has the extra special "Bonus" of being incredibly difficult to figure out if you're even doing anything, let alone something helpful.
(01-16-2021, 04:08 PM)Technature Wrote: As someone who was actually here when pathology was a thing, let me put in my two cents.

*ahem*

Pathology is difficult to use even when you're just trying to find cures for something a Pathologist nerd created to kill everyone with, and when it was a common thing even the QM console didn't really help you like this, instead taking the entire stations budget and going "Ya know what, ya don't need a cure.  Have fun with that."

Have you actually even interacted at all with the reworked pathology? You say things like "when it was a common thing".
The CDC has been fixed for like close to a year now. It takes like 1 or 2 minutes for them to send you cures, and then it is basically an arbitrary amount for next to no money.

Making a cure in the lab costs nothing and takes about 2 or 3 minutes if one simply follows the guide.

Curing via suppression can be done anywhere and can be done by anyone with access to a health analyzer.

(01-16-2021, 10:35 PM)Technature Wrote: My reasoning is people will be in one of two groups.

1. Nerds who know everything about pathology and use it constantly for when their antag round comes up and they're able to unleash a death virus on the station, meaning everyone will either hope that someone else will know what they're doing quick enough to cure the pathogen or force the shuttle to come in at the half hour mark.

2. People who pick Pathology cause the other medical slots they wanted were already taken.

And while it means less people can mess with it freely, the big problem is you only need one asshole for the station to be filled with plasma farting, Shakespeare quoting, internally combusting people, and fixing that before it's too late is borderline impossible if several people aren't able to contribute to stopping it.

And pathology has the extra special "Bonus" of being incredibly difficult to figure out if you're even doing anything, let alone something helpful.

Yes, I am sure that if we disable pathology for another 2 years, the next time everyone will suddenly magically know how it works so they can make cures this time. Maybe people should actually get to use it for more than 3 days before declaring that it's "too hard".

Also, if you really have such problems with pathology, I would love if more people shared their feedback in the dedicated pathology feedback thread instead of shitting on it in discord/ooc/other threads. Thanks!
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=15693
I...did follow a guide. It took 30 minutes, and it still didn't work. And I don't know how long ago the CDC thing was, but it's such a nasty thing that happened (taking half of the stations budget for seemingly nothing, thinking it won't happen again, and then it happens again, leaving the station with nothing whatsoever) that I don't want to risk trying it again. If pathology is made a bit more user friendly for making cures, I'd be fine with it being here.

But, uh...surely you could of worded it in a way that doesn't imply I'm either too impatient or just too stupid to understand it. Right?
Sorry, I was a little aggressive there, but you need to understand that you are sounding like you are talking about how Pathology used to be before it was disabled.
At the same time I am trying to show people the many changes that have been made, and there is a LOT of disinformation flying around, so when someone says things that just seem very outdated or wrong, it is an intensely frustrating experience for me.

You claim to have spent "half the station's budget" on cures.
Even with a maxed out pathogen, with the capped out amount of symptoms and the worst possible rng, you could still buy *10* batches of cures for 1960 credits.
Keep in mind that each batch has 3-6 cures, so with 1960 credits (at worst) you could purchase an average of 45 cures.
The station budget at roundstart is 30 000 credits. Cures are ludicrously cheap.
Like, you can say that lots of things about pathology are not perfect, but the price of cures? Seriously?
If anything at all the cures are too cheap IMO.

If QM's get some money making going early there is seriously no way that they wouldn't be able to buy any cures.
So far all the changes I have seen to pathology have made it a really more enjoyable experience!

Thank you for your hard work zjd! smile
I hope you know that it is greatly appreciated.
(01-17-2021, 11:40 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Sorry, I was a little aggressive there, but you need to understand that you are sounding like you are talking about how Pathology used to be before it was disabled.

No.  Kidding.

Look, I don't play the game every day.  Typically, if I don't play a weekend, I don't play at all.  I don't know the little details of what goes on and what's happening whenever an update occurs.  If pathology has been improved to the point that it's tolerable and my immediate reaction of just gibbing myself and coming back in an hour at the slightest hint of "If I don't do this now, I'm gonna see a permanent screen of black with my character passed out in the center" is seen as an overreaction, then it's great.

I'm not asking you to know my entire life.  I just don't think it's too hard to explain things without going "Have you even USED pathology lately?", as if my life has to revolve around the game for some reason.  Like really, I've uninstalled games because of attitudes like this.

For the record, just based off of my shitty experiences anyway, me using pathology is just barely above zero.  Like, not even 1%.  So there's a good chance that, yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about off of that alone.  But I do know it's not fun to sit there and read a book for 15 minutes because "Oh shit, I have the flu, sleepy time now.". And it's not fun to try to invalidate my opinion just because I'm not on 24/7.
I just assumed that anyone commenting in a thread about pathology balance would have been aware that Pathology just got temporarily reenabled after 8 months of being completely gone.
(01-17-2021, 12:00 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Have you even USED pathology lately?

So ya know what, I'm done.

I'm sorry for airing my personal issues with pathology in a thread about pathology.  Thank you for invalidating my opinion.  It was an eye opening experience.
I mentioned it before but I think turning geneticists into a more general medical researcher role that has access to both genetics and pathology would be a better idea. Or other similar solutions would work too.
Hello, this thread seems to about adding/not adding a dedicated pathologist role. Please stop dragging unrelated discussions about pathology itself into it. There's an actual, pinned thread for Pathology feedback that you should be using instead: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=15693

thakn u for not smoking