Andrew Logan - HOS Application
Usual character name: Andrew Logan

BYOND username: alogan19

Discord username : Andrew Logan#3615

Goon servers you play: RP1 is my primary - Done a few rounds on main

Reason for application:
I enjoy law enforcement roleplay There is always interesting interactions within sec, everyone reacts differently to you and you wind up with plenty of surprises. I will often be playing security/command roles and I would like to make a positive contribution to rounds to help more players enjoy it. A lot of times when I've been sec I've seen people want to yeet for perma-brig/borging or flat out executions for situations that don't need it. HOS can help keep the rounds fair not just for the players but also back up the newer sec players when they get "SHITSEC SHITSEC" when they've really done nothing to deserve it. Whilst we are seeing more HOS players active which is good. For the times where there are none, I'd like to cover that gap where newer Captains can be a little....yikes in the punishments they distribute and coach/guide the sec team into how to enjoy the game fully without resorting to Judge Dread must kill anything that moves. 

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I joined in September 2020 when I found a YouTube review on SS13, I've often done RP on other gaming communities so I focused on the RP server. Security ends up playing three roles depending on the round.

- Zen Master
Normally when a player has found an antag early on or there is a disagreement that has arisen as a result of some blood filled struggle between two players. (Perhaps someone tried stealing medbay supplies or started nicking items from cargo) - Security need to model a level of restraint when it comes to what happens next, this involves calming down the affected parties and making liberal use of the ticketing feature on the PDA to inspire comedy in a tense moment.

- Inquisitor
There are dangers humanity (+ other friendly NT affiliated humanoids) will face in space. To determine who is a danger to life and company property, whilst being armed with a glorious xeno bashing baton, You need to decide not how to use it but when to use it. Choosing targets carefully for justice and dispensing the correct amount. Whilst also protecting company property so you don't get fired at the end of the shift. Inquisitors must also be able to prioritise the larger threats, you could chase the clown throwing cream pies or focus on the evil blood sucker assassinating crew whilst a Syndicate traitor destroys the engine. The ability to remain calm will help.

- Judge Dread
Then there is that time when you need to walk into a situation, declare I AM THE LAW and ruthlessly curb stomp a trouble maker until they learn submission. If you see a plate, just stay at a distance and unload your taser into that dangerous person. Apply liberal usage of handcuffs/tickets/fines and every now and then, a bit of harm baton to the face for those whose only mission in life is to kill as many of the crew as they can, heedless of caution or restraint. Sadly this means you have to be the first into the most dangerous situations there are. Such as when the Manta is invaded by an army of robots, Syndicate agents and terrible creatures, you either save the ship or die trying.

Balancing all three of these mindsets is part of the joy of security as well as the challenge. 

What advice would you give to other sec players?
You will be called shit sec, you will receive verbal abuse, you can tell the difference between players who are abusive for the sake of it and genuine regulars who are giving advice and counsel (tip, they never use the term shit sec) make use of comms with others.

What was one of your favourite security moments? 
I was Captain at the time but I was taken hostage by 3 antags at the radio station where they did a game show, they asked lore questions and if I get them wrong, zappy zappy. Watching security trying to mount a rescue was impressive but more impressive was the effort the antags went to, it was brilliant interaction.

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
An easier way to set status on players in front of you, I know there is a hand held tool to set status but it often goes missing or one person takes it. By the time you log into SecMate, find their record change it, log out, restart, take back your ID, it adds to the time interruption for the player. Perhaps a simple PDA app would help where you are able to TAP the player like a forensic scanner.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
With a team I am able to be a supporting role, namely I'd spend so much time saying "No you don't get to execute them because you don't like them" to the angry botanist whose area was just sabotaged. When doing solo it is normally because the rounds are calmer with lower pop so you end up playing Sheriff, most antags tend to not go murder happy crazy either.

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

Security, you inspire me to write.
I love the way you detain and prevent,
Protecting the station all day and through the night,
Always seeking to stop the big dissent.

Let me compare you to a pretender?
Security is more funny, loathsome and power.
When I signed up during the leafage of September,
And autumntime has the control tower.

How do I love you? Let me count the ways.
I love the glorious boots, baton and gun.
Thinking of the gorgeous baton fills my days.
My love for you is the alarming chun.

Now I must away with a heavy heart,
Remember my loyal words whilst we're apart.

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
I found a doctor stabbing his MD because the MD wanted to eat his butt (Literally) - So I gave the doctor a ticket for workplace violence and informed him to talk to HR next time.

Draw a picture!

https://imgur.com/a/reDgqLo -

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I received a ban for going Skynet under standard laws in my first week on the server, I received a job ban from command roles that in that same period.
I generally don't go out of my way to -1 apps, but since you've directly requested my feedback here via Discord, here I am.

I don't think you are a great fit for Head of Security, and it's truly unfortunate, because your application is well-written and I think you do have a lot to offer the Sec team. You express a good understanding of how it's important for Security to influence the tone of a round, and how holding back people who wish to "Judge Dredd" is a crucial role for the Sec team in general and the HoS in particular to play.

Which is what makes it so much more frustrating that this isn't how things go in the round. Yesterday, for example, you went out of your way to throw an antagonist off the shuttle, who was already calm and cuffed. When I confronted you in-character about executing a prisoner without the HoS's consent as a normal security officer, you spoke to me sarcastically both in and out of character and told me I wasn't doing my job. The prisoner was clearly part of an admin gimmick and had not murdered anyone, and presented no danger to anyone on the shuttle. How does this line up with "Choosing targets carefully for justice and dispensing the correct amount"? You named yourself judge, jury, and executioner, and then doubled down when I disagreed.

What bothered me more was how you handled it afterward, accusing me of metagrudging you when I expressed my disagreement with your decision, and then accusing others of being in a clique when they also disagreed with you. When you have a Head of Security app up, it's reasonable to assume that people will be watching and evaluating how you carry yourself as Security. Additionally, you cited as the basis of my "metagrudging" the fact that I in-character told you to "knock it off" a few times during a busy round on Kondaru, including specifically when I saw you reading the Head of Personnel his Miranda rights.

Regardless of whether I was too grumpy that round or not, it truly bothers me that you seem unable to separate criticism of your decisions with criticism of yourself. Calmness and grace under pressure is one of the most vital qualities a HoS can have, because you *will* be metagrudged (for real), you *will* be ahelped over confrontations where you are sure you did nothing wrong, and you *will* have to keep your team working together even when they are a motley band of newbies and power-gluttons. Robust control of your spaceperson and their abilities is far, far less important than emotional durability and the ability to take a hit on the chin and keep smiling, and this is where I truly do not feel you are ready to be HoS.

Please keep playing, please keep improving. You have a lot to offer the team, but I don't think you're ready to lead it by action and example yet.

-1 from me, for now.
I've been conflicted on posting here but I'm just gonna say, while I don't have anything really specific, I've had a good bit of weird experiences with you that didn't sit right with me and while I think you could definitely become better and likely will at the time with your attitude and how you act sometimes that you still need to improve a bit more.
Hey Andrew,

I've had some fun rounds with you but the bad rounds; while not outnumbering the good rounds, outweigh those.

I've never been on the recieving end of you (though to bee frank I never really do anything worthy of getting arrested) but i've been witness to both the comms of the incident, your reaction to the incident and the fallout to those incidents on multiple occasions. I also see that you sometimes take things a bit too personally, whether in round or out.

What i'd like to see is consistency and improvement on your overall approach to situations and how you treat your fellow officers. And your statement on 'Judge Dredd' is the one that is the , in my opinion, the biggest complication to your character. We have enough of those that are becoming a problem right now and having more of them in any sense is an issue.

-1 for me for now, though i'd support you if you dropped the above moniker and showed some restraint/listened to feedback of others around you. You're at least not one i've had to arrest before as a secoff so don't consider yourself one of the 'bad' ones but more of the 'still room to grow' ones.
We have decided to deny this app due to opposition in both community feedback and admin discussions. Feel free to reapply again 60 days from today.