Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goonstation needs a max player limit
Unpopular opinion I know, but here's my reasoning. The overflow server is in the catch 22 position where very few people play on it, and most people who might join don't because there's nobody on it, thus perpetuating the low population. I think many players on the main server would actually rather play on a the overflow (because the main is overpopulated) but the overflow is too far in the other direction so they don't. I think ultimately the main server needs a cap so that the excess players will go onto the overflow. This will ultimately work out as once the overflow reaches a certain player count people will actually not mind playing on it as it now has the players it needs to get a good round going. Even a somewhat high player cap of 60 would still increase the overflow server population to 30+, which I think is a pretty reasonable amount and is enough to have good rounds. Again, pretty controversial opinion but let me know what you think.
I believe the admins just do not want to take players away from goon main, since player numbers determine the ranking in the byond hub and the ranking in the byond hub is what actually gets us players.
An unfortunate result of how the ranking works.
I enjoy playing on highpop main. Sure it can get hella chaotic at time, but that's half the fun. Forcing people onto another server against their will only serves to drive them off from the entire server base. "My friends are on the main server, but I can't play because it's over pop. I don't want to play on overflow"

And, a "somewhat high cap of 60" isn't that high. We consistently reach 80+ players on main. That would effectively shunt 20+ players off the server that they chose to play on because of some arbitrary limit.
The reason there is no cap and the reason that has been stated each time this thread comes up is that some people want to play on those high pop rounds. Adding a cap to it would remove the people who like it from being able to enjoy what they want to play in. The overflows are for the people who do not want to play on those high pop rounds.