Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Flamethrower rework
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR

Reworks the flamethrower almost completely.

Changes include:
- The flamethrower is now technically a gun. Doesn't really mean anything to players, but hey.
- Instead of gathering a list of turfs and injecting chems and gas into each of them, it uses a projectile to do this.
- The projectile is loaded with a set amount of reagents and gas.
- Every turf it enters, it applies a TOUCH reaction and copies a percentage of its chems into that turf and all of its contents
- If the flamethrower is LIT, it also sets all the reagents in those atoms to that temperature.
- This is roughly how the flamethrower used to do it, just that now it does this through a projectile.
- Flamethrowers have three firemodes:
- A quick, short-ranged 5-spray burst
- A slow, mid-ranged 3-spritz burst
- A long-ish ranged semi-auto shot
- Backpack flamethrowers are overall more accurate.
- Spray temperature and spray amount can be configured on the flamethrower.
- Fuel and gas tanks can be swapped out by just clicking it on the flamethrower.
- Adds a variant of the sniper-wallpierce component that only pierces mobs and non-opaque blob tiles.
- Flamethrowers can now be used in gun components.

Why's this needed?

I wanted to see if I could add Tarm's kickin-rad drag-auto component to flamethrowers. Ended up with me reworking them into guns... and not using the component because it did some weird things after I messed with it (It does *not* like being altered or removed after init!).

Also ended up with a really cool-looking flamethrower that actually feels a lot more flamethrower-y. It sprays fire and chems all over the place, burns the heck out of anything that can burn, and is just as dangerous to the user as it is to everything around them. Also roasts the blob real nicely, too.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Superlagg:
(*)Made flamethrowers more configurable and shoot chem-loaded projectiles.
(+)Flamethrowers can now be added to gun components.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Sounds fanny-tastical.

An adjustable flame temperature seems interesting.

>Every turf it enters, it applies a TOUCH reaction and copies a percentage of its chems into that turf and all of its contents
Does this mean it will be weaker as the projectile leaves further from it's point of origin?
For instance, 3-tile. 33% of it's chems each tile. 5-spray. 20% of it's chems each tile.
With that, we may end up with a balancing effect. In exchange for the range, less potency.

Or is it a linear calculation--Evenly distributed regardless of range.
So - chems that do not work through TOUCH are now not working anymore, right? Ô_o
[Image: 8YD.gif]
(01-26-2021, 08:35 AM)Chayot Wrote: Sounds fanny-tastical.

An adjustable flame temperature seems interesting.

>Every turf it enters, it applies a TOUCH reaction and copies a percentage of its chems into that turf and all of its contents
Does this mean it will be weaker as the projectile leaves further from it's point of origin?
For instance, 3-tile. 33% of it's chems each tile. 5-spray. 20% of it's chems each tile.
With that, we may end up with a balancing effect. In exchange for the range, less potency.

Or is it a linear calculation--Evenly distributed regardless of range.

Yeah it's the first, a shot that deposits 10% of the reagents should travel around 10 tiles.

(01-26-2021, 04:00 PM)GORE Wrote: So - chems that do not work through TOUCH are now not working anymore, right? Ô_o

Oh they'll work just fine, chems without a TOUCH reaction just won't produce a touch reaction. They'll be transferred in and heated up as expected.
(01-26-2021, 04:00 PM)GORE Wrote: So - chems that do not work through TOUCH are now not working anymore, right? Ô_o

I've kinda taken over this PR, and yes, chems will no longer be arbitrarily copied into mobs/etc by the new flamethrowers, though any touch reactions (including skin penetration, if allowed by the chem) will still happen. This is subject to change, but I think it's better and more consistent with other game mechanics.
So I had a play with the new flamer and Im not sure what to make of it. I had a mix of smoke powder, glowing fliptonium and colorful reagent. It was inconsistant at best, the colorful reagant applied sometimes but not reliably and the glowing fliptonium didnt at all. Not on tiles, objects or even mobs.
It also left weird inert clouds that didnt despawn the entire round. When you tried to PDA reagant scan them like a normal chem cloud instead your character hits the PDA on the cloud like a physical attack.
I had a similar thing with another mix im not sharing here where it seemed like the chems were either not mixing or present. For pure burn mixes its pretty sweet.

I agree with flamer obeying touch penetrating mechanics the same as other things. That aspect was a bit OP before.