Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Flash Animation Accessibility
After a recent round I saw someone post in OOC that they had issues with the flash animation, specifically, being flashes several times in succession, because they suffered from epilepsy.
Due to the (not exactly recent) changes with stamina and such, you kind of have to flash people several times to be effective though, right?
Maybe there should be some kind of accessibility option to disable those? If that is deemed a balancing factor, maybe instead an option for another kind of overlay that is less triggering but still hinders your vision?

Personally, I do not have any problems with it, so it is hard for me to gauge this, so if there are any people that do have problems with animations, it would be great if you could give some feedback, please? smile
Yeah. I also saw that complaint! Flashes seem to me like a solid epilepsy risk factor.
Possible middle ground and just set a general 3 second cooldown for how often the flash animation can show up?
ideas fielded in admin channels :
- change flash to only illuminate the edges of the screen leaving the center visible
- change flash to be about the size of a simple light (96x96) and flash white briefly over the affected character or attacker
- remove the effect because i specifically dont like it ( i am not epileptic i have just always found the effect super annoying )

i dont think it should be part of the 'view tint' options or have any sort of toggle, because the screen obscuring effect would put people at a disadvantage when they don't toggle it off even if they don't have epilepsy. it should either be in the game doing some milder effect or not in the game at all i think
Yea I'm perfectly fine with removing the animation entirely, it's not going to change combat one bit and putting people at risk of harm is not good
Last thing anyone wants is for some poor fellow to suffer from a seizure induced by farty spaceman game. I'd say remove the visual effect immediately and think about alternatives later.
If we're on the topic maybe have a look at the penlight's nicer flash. I think that has a lower cooldown too.

(I know it doesn't get used but it's there, technically.)
This actually reminds me of an idea that might work here.

I thought it might be neat to have progressive organ damage, with something like damage to the eyes causing gradual blindness, that appears as a dark circle slowly enveloping your screen.

Flashes could simply use a similar effect, with the flash progressing the level of darkness that gradually goes away
(01-08-2021, 10:47 PM)mbc Wrote: - change flash to only illuminate the edges of the screen leaving the center visible

this seems like a good compromise. A lot less disruptive, but still provides a solid visual indication of what's going on.
Instead of flashing the entire screen white why not just give it that little sprite thing that the revflash and the vamp glare use?
If nothing else, the screen can darken instead of brighten, so the view goes black instead of white and then slowly lightens up to normal colors.

It's...weird, but I'd rather people not get into seizures over it seeming more natural.
Oh, i just remembered we had this thread, did we ever end up doing anything?
We haven't yet.
Would screen blur be a epilepsy trigger?