Poll: How do you play objectives?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Usually ignore them
12.50%
2 12.50%
Usually follow them
0%
0 0%
Follow them if I don't have anything better to do
87.50%
14 87.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Objective: better objectives
I feel like there's a lot of apathy around objectives, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, it would be nice to have some objectives which people actually feel like completing. Also, this is all my opinion, so yell at me if you disagree about something.

Objectives as they currently are

Some objectives- assassinate, steal, some of the gimmicks- can be great fun, and can guide a round well. Others... not so much. Take bodyguard as an example. I don't think I've ever seen someone attempt to complete a bodyguard objective. Doing so would require you to either follow someone around all round (or just weld them in a locker, I guess), which would be missing out on all the other traitorous things you could be doing. Hijack objectives feel useless- people who aren't robust enough/don't enjoy ultraviolence will glance over them, and people who enjoy rampaging will try to hijack the shuttle regardless of whether or not they have the objective. Some of the multigrab options are silly- I can see stealing 5 insuls or 8 ID cards being fun, but how are you going to steal 4 Eguns without mechanic shenanigans? At that point it feels less like theft and more like printing things to fill a job quota. 

Objectives also don't translate across round types very well. Spies get regular (albiet in different sets) traitor objectives, when maybe their objectives could be themed around subterfuge more. Sleepers get a smaller set of regular traitor objectives, when those are often difficult to complete on limited time, with limited resources. Critter antags get regular objectives for some godforsaken reason (why is the killer robot trying to amass 40,000 credits????).

What objectives should be

I dunno. Here's a couple ideas, though:

1. Different objectives for different traitor flavors: Already addressed this, but to elaborate: Give sleepers one directive to follow, which fits the sleeper theme and makes it easier for them to complete objectives with their hardmode status. Give antag critters either no objectives ('kill everyone!' etc etc) or something fun and themed (robots get assassinate, fire elementals want to scorch a certain department, spiders want to feed on x amount of people, wrestlerdoodles want to kill someone in the boxing ring, etc). Spies do... okay with regular traitor objectives, but I think there is space to improve their objectives to be more spy-ish.
  2. More variety: Objectives feel sorta formulaic currently, with the majority of objective sets being some combination of kill/steal and some kind of escape. Why isn't the 'kill all cyborgs and the AI' objective used? What about the 'destroy all objects of type xyz'? What about the 'job genocide' one? Taking on a whole department sounds grand. I assume these were removed for a reason, but there's not a lot of variety to replace them.
The attitude towards objectives ( + poll)

Does anyone actually care about objectives? I'm perfectly happy if the only response to this is 'nobody cares', since at least that's some kind of progress. Lemme know how you like to treat them, since I figure that's useful in determining how much effort should be put towards them.
Personally, I almost never bother to read my objectives, unless it's Conspirator. For me on RP, anyhow, most of the objectives are a bit... eh. I tend to do extremely weird things, personally, rather than try to "win" at traitor.
Adding objectives is rather straight-forward.
Coming up with some worth keeping around is.
I think partially the reason objectives arent followed is because they're not really that cool overall or fun to fill out. Would prefer more objectives like 'break all of X machine' or 'sabotage X specific thing' and then making said things breakable by more than explosives (just lots of smacking)

it may be a potentially unpopular opinion but I don't like the Free Objectives at all, they feel like they reinforce how pointless the system is and I really rarely see them actually followed or inspiring people to do gimmicks which is *supposed* to be the point of those. I'd rather every objective have some kinda check that can determine whether or not you failed it, so you could check off the whole list of things to do.
If we had more rewards for completing objectives Id see people following them more but goon has always taken a free form approach to traitoring unlike other servers. Other servers are pretty strict with traitors where they HAVE to follow the objectives. Its always weird to hear about a traitor getting banned for killing someone that isn't on their objective list.
Anyway I think Spy has a good way of doing it. You finish a goal and you get an item. Simple and makes people want to keep doing what the objective asks for.
I am a fan of fancy objectives like miscreants get.
Still - I see reason for having them be checkable.

We have seen the bartender getting job XP recently and I think other jobs too,...
For that matter - we might as well try to LINK some of the objectives with bonus job XP?

Not all things are greatly trackable though.
Not all things should be tracked. There is space for untracked objectives; nudging a player to do a fun gimmick AND there is space for trackable objectives for a purpose to abide by.

IMO objectives is like prefabs in a sense.
As long as the quality of the objectives is good - there can never be enough variation.
(01-02-2021, 09:56 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: If we had more rewards for completing objectives Id see people following them more but goon has always taken a free form approach to traitoring unlike other servers. Other servers are pretty strict with traitors where they HAVE to follow the objectives. Its always weird to hear about a traitor getting banned for killing someone that isn't on their objective list.
Anyway I think Spy has a good way of doing it. You finish a goal and you get an item. Simple and makes people want to keep doing what the objective asks for.

I agree. I think having an immediate reward to finishing an objective is good. Considering the antags role in a round is to keep causing tension, having a stream of rewards keeps a good tension throughout
I agree with Flab