Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wraith/Poltergueist QQL
Poltergeist is somewhat fun to play, but I see some problems with it.
The point where the poltergeist should have too stay around should be bound to the wraith, not the spot they were spawned at. They should also have a ability to teleport to the wraith, free of cost.
Poltergeists should also be able to consume corpses for extra WP gen, which would also go to the wraith.
I've actually had some thoughts similarly to this. Poltergeists are cool but trying to constantly follow your wraith master is a pain. Maybe something to move their, I don't know what it's called, manifestation point. The point they're anchored to.

(12-30-2020, 11:25 AM)Boxta Wrote: They should also have a ability to teleport to the wraith, free of cost.
Poltergeists should also be able to consume corpses for extra WP gen, which would also go to the wraith.
Definitely agree with these two points, though.
(12-30-2020, 11:27 AM)Sord213 Wrote: I've actually had some thoughts similarly to this. Poltergeists are cool but trying to constantly follow your wraith master is a pain. Maybe something to move their, I don't know what it's called, manifestation point. The point they're anchored to.

(12-30-2020, 11:25 AM)Boxta Wrote: They should also have a ability to teleport to the wraith, free of cost.
Definitely agree with these two points, though.

You arent acxctually following the master wraith, your bound to a sinigle point and cannot move far from it. Its not currently bound to the wraith, it should be
I feel like anchor points should continue to be a thing. The poltergeist must stay near an anchor point, and the wraith also acts as one. So, a poltergeist is not bound to any one location, but it can't just go anywhere it wants - only within the bounds of the wraith and where it has invested WP into.
(12-30-2020, 04:43 PM)aft2001 Wrote: I feel like anchor points should continue to be a thing. The poltergeist must stay near an anchor point, and the wraith also acts as one. So, a poltergeist is not bound to any one location, but it can't just go anywhere it wants - only within the bounds of the wraith and where it has invested WP into.

Wraiths already act like that, but if you're focusing on an area and your boss moves along, you get sucked back to your spawn point and unable to get to them unless they decide to come over to where you are.
Maybe the anchor point should be their remains? Get rid the the ghost by properly disposing of the body
Give the poltergeist an ability to teleport to their wraith master.

Also given the standard set by flock it might be worth just turning poltergeists into full-fledged wraiths.  Flock can make full-fledged flocktraces with a massively shorter cooldown.
(12-30-2020, 08:11 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Maybe the anchor point should be their remains? Get rid the the ghost by properly disposing of the body

That sounds quite neat.

Just getting rid of the ghost and its "unfinished business," violently.
(12-31-2020, 01:14 PM)CommaIndividual Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 08:11 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Maybe the anchor point should be their remains? Get rid the the ghost by properly disposing of the body

That sounds quite neat.

Yeah, but what if you're chosen to be a poltergeist and then medbay finally gets to your body to be clonescanned and processed at the same time as you spawn? Wouldn't be too fun imo
(12-30-2020, 04:51 PM)mralexs Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 04:43 PM)aft2001 Wrote: I feel like anchor points should continue to be a thing. The poltergeist must stay near an anchor point, and the wraith also acts as one. So, a poltergeist is not bound to any one location, but it can't just go anywhere it wants - only within the bounds of the wraith and where it has invested WP into.

Wraiths already act like that, but if you're focusing on an area and your boss moves along, you get sucked back to your spawn point and unable to get to them unless they decide to come over to where you are.

Yes, can confirm, since I'm the guy who made poltergeists. I agree it's definitely NOT obvious. I kinda totally forgot about the existence of poltergeists and haven't supported them much at all since creating them. 

My initial idea to help them find their master wraith was two parts: 

1. To have some cool looking indicator of what direction your master wraith is in relation to yourself. Like skewing your sprite in the direction of the master or some sort of thing only visible on your hud over your sprite. Straight up just could not think of a cool enough of an effect to make it and then forgot about it among all the other nonsense I make.

2. Add an ability that lets you teleport to your master wraith. This is simple enough to make, but I didn't want to make it without having the hud indicator that lets you easily follow your master.
(12-31-2020, 02:35 PM)mralexs Wrote:

That sounds quite neat.

Yeah, but what if you're chosen to be a poltergeist and then medbay finally gets to your body to be clonescanned and processed at the same time as you spawn? Wouldn't be too fun imo

Sure but you're also
1. Not a real antagonist
2. Getting cloned

So I don't see the problem other than a little disappointment
(01-01-2021, 05:02 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(12-31-2020, 02:35 PM)mralexs Wrote:

That sounds quite neat.

Sure but you're also
1. Not a real antagonist
2. Getting cloned

So I don't see the problem other than a little disappointment

Getting poltergeist sets you to DNR.
As a possible tweak:

Don't just have it so that when you leave the area of the wraith or an anchor you get teleported somewhere, but rather you don't get to use your powers until you do come back. If this is the case then perhaps have a border visible to all anchor areas? This wouldn't change the game much but it'd let poltergeists jump around a bit more and be able to help other poltergeists or their master wraith haunt specific areas together.