Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Clone scanning now makes a ping noise
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[qol][input]
About the PR
This PR makes the cloning computer make a ping noise if it successfully scans someone.

Why's this needed?
Scanning currently has no feedback for the occupant, so people getting scans frequently have to awkwardly wait for the other person to tell them it's done.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
DimWhat mentioned on github that this would prevent traitors from faking clone scans of people, and this thread is intended for whether that's an issue and what if anything to do about it.

As far as I know cloning computers can't yet be emagged, and I think one solution can be letting emags remove the access restriction for deleting scans. You don't pretend to scan someone, you just delete the record 10 seconds later. :P
Clonescanning gives you an implant that divides your health indicator into four damage subtypes.

It's already pretty noticeable when someone doesn't clonescan you and I haven't witnessed traitors using that technique so I see no issue here. Maybe I'm wrong and there is something more to it.

And the ping sound is really nice QoL
I agree in that its pretty easy to notice someone faking a scan if you're paying attention. If you don't notice a lack of a health implant, would you notice a lack of a beep? Never seen this done but in any case I doubt it's worth withholding QoL changes for. The EMAG solution is a good idea for people that want to do this in any case.
I think the specific situation it's meant to prevent is a traitor dragging a person they just killed to the clone scanner, fake-scanning them, going 'oh darn, they're braindead, guess I tried', then tossing them into the reclaimer to get rid of the body.

Personally, I don't think it crops up often enough to be an issue.
You could just make it ping regardless of the outcome then. I think it's a good solution
I feel like the emag thing would be a nice idea even if it's not necessary for this.
Yeah the emag is a nice idea. Regardless though I like the ping here; as someone that frequently plays AI with a second monitor, I just quickly scan people without them even asking, so I'd no longer have to constantly say "Scan complete." over the radio.
I do like being able to just cram somebody into a cloner after my devious actions and just say "aw dang can't clone em." To finish my nefarious plot to assassinate a person. If there was a ping when somebody is scanned people could know that i didn't actually press any buttons.
There is already some feedback - the console typing sound...is there not?

At least give traitors the ability to disable the sound via the cloning menu...or emagg the console for the same effect - perhaps then the cloner would just start making some random noises by itself.
God please give me this, I need the beeping. Would make thiings so much faster\better.
For the occupant a text message would be a good compromise in my opinion.

Adding a beep messes with the idea of traitor medics who wanna be sneaky as hell.
Add the auto ping, but add a way to fake it by doing something else on the machine that make the same noise
(12-30-2020, 08:20 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Add the auto ping, but add a way to fake it by doing something else on the machine that make the same noise

Now there's an idea

I've added a ping to the toggle for gene analysis now, so you can poke that if you want to fake scan someone. Does that sound good?

Also GORE, the typing sound isn't a thing anymore since TGUI cloning happened.
Perhaps have a "implant" button that also makes a ping, so that they still get a health implant and think they got scanned? Also useful for puritans so they get a free implant!