Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Role playing and Chief Engineering
Hello!

I am a new RP player, and after reflecting on my rounds as Chief Engineer, I have started to wonder as to if I have lost touch with what it means to be a Chief Engineer. I also feel like I have no idea what I should be aiming for and what I should be trying to do in order to make everyone's rounds on the RP server better outside of providing a steady stream of power and making the station is not filled with holes. I also feel like that engineering is starting to become the same old cycle of check to see if I have any help at all, start up the engine with my "I cannot babysit the engine all the time because I am by myself" burn if it's a TEG map, if not then a basic engine start up for the map, before proceeding to play radioman for most of the shift.  So, I have some questions as to what I should be doing.

1. Should I even run Chief Engineer considering Engineering runs itself most of the time?

2. Should I try to play more of a La Forge style CE, where I am mostly interacting with the crew and jumping between engineering and everything else or should I try and be more of a actual Chief of engineer, and contrate mostly on what they are doing and tune out the ship aside from damage Control requests, mentions of my name, and mechanic shenanigans'?

3. What are some tips to try and stay IC and to stop some automatic OOC responses? (I luckily only know much about engineering and am laughably horrible at everything else besides running and AI law writing) Also, what ingame engineering phrases are considered IC. Should I be calling things a hellburn, Charburn, and referring to the singulo going loose as a singuloose?

4. I usually try and "check up" on ship systems along with doing paper work, is there anyway I could improve that?

5. At what point should I be putting my foot down with engineers doing hellburns, Mechanics making "fun" things such as the Voices of Manta , and goofing around in my department?

6. How could I try and build more of a common bond between engineers, there by hopefully having some retention at the beginning of each new shift?

7. What ways could I try and express sounds and emotions over radio comms that would be picked up on a radio in real life?

I know it's alot, but I want to try and play to the standard of those around me, along with being able to play a role in the round where I am actually somewhat useful and not wearing a fancier red shirt.
So I'll answer the best I can. This is mostly opinion, so other people can chime in if they want.

In general, RPing as a head means more to watch over the departments you're in charge of and making sure they run properly than actually doing them, though of course if ya have to do a job that isn't filled ya have to.

1. You're in charge of and can assist in running Engineering, Mechanics, Quartermasters, and Mining, so if you're bored with the engine and want to focus on something else for a bit you have the options. You should also check and configure the Solars on the station when applicable.

2. It's ultimately up to you, though it's reasonable to switch as necessary. Manage your departments when emergencies arise, and interact with the crew as your departments run themselves to find interesting things to do.

3. For the most part, ask yourself if it would make sense for someone working on a job to say certain things. Being more professional than usual in a head position generally makes sense, but keep in mind that the server is generally light RP and making dumb names for things isn't out of place. Hellburn, Charburn, and other such terms are used in game often enough and are reasonable nicknames that using them yourself wouldn't be that big a deal.

4. I'm a bit confused by this one, but I would like to mention that there is a computer in engineering that keeps track of every APC on the ship/station. You can do a quick search to see if any of them are below 100% on a well run engine, and can use it to easily locate APCs that may have been affected by an Ion Storm.

5. Encouraging harmless shenanigans, especially when your departments have nothing better to do, is generally considered good for the entertainment of the round. Check to make sure if what people are doing would hurt unwilling people (Someone makes a suicide machine that shoots people into space by pushing a button? Wouldn't be okay in real life sure, but it's funny. Making something that launches heavy shit around as an obstacle course or something similar? Maybe make sure that people can't enter from unintended and harmful places. Making an automatic gun that shoots people for entering a room unannounced? Maybe no.). Your crews should generally be responding to construction issues too, so don't be afraid to yell at people if they're building a suicide machine when there's a hole in Hydroponics. Don't be afraid to fire people if they're insisting on not doing what they're told at important moments either.

6. Try to stay in touch with people on the radio. Your comms has a unique color and are thus more likely to be seen by your crew in the endless green sea of text.

7. If you want to give off the idea of yelling, CAPS LOCK AND EXCLAMATION POINTS ARE YOUR FRIEND!!!

Ultimately, keep playing and make a good effort to learn from people you think are doing a good RP thing. And don't forget to use LOOC if you think people are upset from a confrontation.
(12-25-2020, 09:38 PM)Eagletanker Wrote: As someone who has done tons of rounds as CE:

1. Should I even run Chief Engineer considering Engineering runs itself most of the time?
   - CE's more important than you'd think, we just get a LOT of bad ones.  If X fails and engineering isnt' responding, the CE is the one who it falls on to make it done.

2. Should I try to play more of a La Forge style CE, where I am mostly interacting with the crew and jumping between engineering and everything else or should I try and be more of a actual Chief of engineer, and contrate mostly on what they are doing and tune out the ship aside from damage Control requests, mentions of my name, and mechanic shenanigans'?
   - Play who you want - My CE style is, get power up to maintaining mode then ensure all my sub departments are running smoothly.

3. What are some tips to try and stay IC and to stop some automatic OOC responses? (I luckily only know much about engineering and am laughably horrible at everything else besides running and AI law writing) Also, what ingame engineering phrases are considered IC. Should I be calling things a hellburn, Charburn, and referring to the singulo going loose as a singuloose?
   - Honestly phrases are common enough to be IC

4. I usually try and "check up" on ship systems along with doing paper work, is there anyway I could improve that?
   - eh

5. At what point should I be putting my foot down with engineers doing hellburns, Mechanics making "fun" things such as the Voices of Manta , and goofing around in my department?
    - Put your foot down if they seem incompetent, if they dont listen then fire them.

6. How could I try and build more of a common bond between engineers, there by hopefully having some retention at the beginning of each new shift?
    - Between Engineers is easy, between Engineering departments is a nightmare just on how each section functions.  Regarding just engineers, greet them as if you were starting an actual days work, My style is that, I'll greet the whole crew, take status of how many are in each area, Say i'll be by X Soon to check on them after i finish Y task.  I play mine as a boss trying to manage my workers.  It's how i got such a rapport in the engineering section under Jacoby

7. What ways could I try and express sounds and emotions over radio comms that would be picked up on a radio in real life?
   - Think in your head what it says and act it out,  you can always over-act
Your specific questions seem pretty well answered, so I'll just throw in another idea for 6. One other role for a department head is to teach the less experienced department members more about the job. You probably don't want to talk down to people in case they already know the mechanics, so just asking people to do parts of their job (starting the engines, repairing a breach, etc.) and then following up by asking if they need help can be a good way to figure out where each player is on their understanding. If you don't have any inexperienced engineers to teach and have some down time, you can always put a call out for any staff assistants looking to learn the job. 

Some directed hands-on experience for new players to a role can be a really useful experience for bridging the gap between reading the wiki and actually understanding how to do the job. Plus, this could do a lot to help any department retain players.