Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Lag compensation for machinery
Pull Request Details

About the PR
Adding support for "mult" to various machinery to account for missed periodic processing incurred by what the people call "lag".
  • PT Laser charge and output scaling. (Buff)
  • SMES charge scaling (Buff)
  • Buttbot butt talk scaling (Buff?)
  • Robot Docking station charging scaling (Buff)
  • Cell Charge scaling. (Buff)
  • Radiation Collector “fuel” consumption scaling. (NERF)

Why's this needed?
Provides more consistent user experience by accounting for possible variability of machine processing. The goal is to err on the side of the player to avoid situations where overall processing delay doesn’t cause thrashing with the powernets as the overall behavior is non-deterministic.

This will be accomplished by scaling actions performed while ignoring scaling of power usage, as we can not be certain that scaling would also occur for machinery that would provide power to the powernet for the reset. (Would love for someone to tell me I’m wrong! Please tell me I'm wrong....)

Atmos scaling is limited as suddenly influxes of activity would cause unusual behavior that would be impossible to rationalize from a player perspective and an absolute nightmare to debug and investigate. Or at least that is my current story.

Pull Request Details

Let me know if there is anything else I should look into it, I plan on keeping this as a draft/work in progress for a few days at least. All Ears
Just merged/implemented by pali. Like mult for chem, this PR helps machines perform more consistently even when the server is under heavy loads. Lots of things are rely on BYOND to keep track of time, which is highly affected by lag, so this PR should hopefully even things out. Better give some feedback if things aren't!.