Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PR] Add heard name to looc messages
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[input]

About the PR

Adds the mobs heard name to LOOC messages.

As far as i know you always have /mob, only thing this does is if you're still in the starting lobby your ckey will show up instead. So it should be safe?

Why's this needed?

Often find myself asking who someone is in LOOC if trying to have conversation there on the RP servers. This should take care of that. I don't think metagaming is a huge issue since most people already have a character name everyone recognizes. It could be a different story on the main servers though so there's the possibility of making this a thing only for the RP servers.

Changelog

Code:
(u)Luxizzle:
(+)Character name is now shown in LOOC messages.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Eh, disagree on the basis that it makes impersonating people more awkward (again, because of the subset of people who use the same character name across rounds). If anything, I would consider replacing the ckey with your in-game name entirely.

Has no effect on non-RP servers, as they can't use LOOC.
Kind of difficult since knowing that logic IC would be seen as metagaming. So really, does the problem lay with the ckey being shown or with the player abusing that knowledge. I'd say with the player.
Players break rules all of the time. Giving them another way to break them is bad. Is there any downside to it showing your character name (as if you'd spoken, anyway) instead?
Maybe personal preference, but i'd like to know who im talking to outside of character context. And removing username ruins that.
I am struggling to understand the purpose of this. Why would you need to know who a player is OOCly?
Its the other way around. The intent of the change is that LOOC messages (which currently only display CKey) can be easily tied to the character you're speaking to. Personally, I think its a good change and would probably help when using it to help people OOC so that they know theyre not just speaking with a disembodied voice
I find myself agreeing with adding the heard name, It can get pretty confusing when I don't know which person is which character so I can have better context, as for removing the ckey entirely I'm indifferent towards the idea, either way I'd be satisfied with just including the heard name.