Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Butcher's Knife Availability
My suggestion is that the 'Butcher's Knife' (or a variation of it) be made available to all traitors, not just the chef.

The Butcher's Knife is my single favourite weapon available to traitors, but I've only managed to use it once or twice. This is because I play the chef very rarely, and never by choice. It seems to me a shame that such a fun weapon is tied with that one profession.

Preferably a new variation would be introduced, which would be slightly less damaging than the Butcher's Knife and would not have the ability to turn a corpse into meat. The new weapon would retain the knockdown when thrown, and would still cause bleeding damage.

A knife is a pretty common weapon, and I'm surprised that there is no variation already available to non-chef traitors.

What do you guys think?
I wouldn't make the Butcher's Knife available to everyone, because It's specific for the Chef. However, you could totally add like a Cleaver into the mix. It could cost like a telecrystal less, but still have some of the same attributes as the Butcher's Knife.
Eh..Everything you suggested does exist in the surplus crate..

The syndicate dagger. Has a decent stun ability, stuns when thrown, makes the target bleed alot, doesn't gib the corpse.
Sundance Wrote:Eh..Everything you suggested does exist in the surplus crate..

The syndicate dagger. Has a decent stun ability, stuns when thrown, makes the target bleed alot, doesn't gib the corpse.

Oh! I was completely unaware of that. Thanks for letting me know. What else is in that crate and how much does it cost?

I guess this idea is redundant, unless people want the knife on its own to be made available.
http://autisticpowers.info/ss13/wiki/Syndicate_Items
At the very bottom, you'll get a list of surplus crate items. Note that the other traitor items will appear in the box. It costs 10 telecrystals
It's a mixed bag, you are not guaranteed to get the dagger, or might luck out and get two daggers.

I wouldn't be against having the syndicate dagger being able to be bought alone for.. 3-4 telecrystals though.
Sundance Wrote:http://autisticpowers.info/ss13/wiki/Syndicate_Items
At the very bottom, you'll get a list of surplus crate items. Note that the other traitor items will appear in the box. It costs 10 telecrystals
It's a mixed bag, you are not guaranteed to get the dagger, or might luck out and get two daggers.

I wouldn't be against having the syndicate dagger being able to be bought alone for.. 3-4 telecrystals though.

After taking a look at that list I now think that, as you said, the syndicate dagger should be made available for purchase for about 4 telecrystals. The random nature and large variety of the surplus crate mean that getting the syndicate dagger is too unreliable. Seems to me that all the hard work is done, and that it'd be easy for a coder to make it available directly via the PDA, if they wouldn't mind.
The reason the butcher knife is exclusive to the chef and syndicate daggers are exclusive to spies and surplus crates is because it is massively powerful. It's a ranged stun weapon that also doubles as a strong melee weapon and causes bleeding. If it was available for general purchase I would never choose an esword over it because of the cost difference.
It's also not nice that the chef gets this super powerful exclusive item because chef traitors are rare and have low access, but now everyone would get that? I don't think this would be a good idea at all.
Readster Wrote:The reason the butcher knife is exclusive to the chef and syndicate daggers are exclusive to spies and surplus crates is because it is massively powerful. It's a ranged stun weapon that also doubles as a strong melee weapon and causes bleeding. If it was available for general purchase I would never choose an esword over it because of the cost difference.
It's also not nice that the chef gets this super powerful exclusive item because chef traitors are rare and have low access, but now everyone would get that? I don't think this would be a good idea at all.

I think you're probably right. Having head what you have to say I think maybe it should cost the same as a cyalume saber. Would that make it viable?
If I want a butcher's knife, I'll play a chef until I get traitor. If I want a hacked scanner, I'll play Mechanic until I get traitor. If I want a mining charge hacker, I'll play Miner until I get traitor. If you're too much of a whiny bitch to put up with a few rounds as a job which you don't love, just order surplus crates. Christ, is it really that hard to find some ways of having fun as a chef? Especially now that Loaf is a thing?
Captain_Bravo Wrote:If I want a butcher's knife, I'll play a chef until I get traitor. If I want a hacked scanner, I'll play Mechanic until I get traitor. If I want a mining charge hacker, I'll play Miner until I get traitor. If you're too much of a whiny bitch to put up with a few rounds as a job which you don't love, just order surplus crates. Christ, is it really that hard to find some ways of having fun as a chef? Especially now that Loaf is a thing?

I don't see what you're getting so bent out of shape about. It's just an idea.
Don't worry about him, he just always makes his point in a dickish manner, but his points are often still good ones.

The butcher knife is too good to give to every traitor, its like a bowling kit and a sabre had a child from hell.

I like about how common it is now, in that it is uncommon to see one around, and i feel if everyone easy access to it we would see way too many around.
Ronnyfire Wrote:Don't worry about him, he just always makes his point in a dickish manner, but his points are often still good ones.

The butcher knife is too good to give to every traitor, its like a bowling kit and a sabre had a child from hell.

I like about how common it is now, in that it is uncommon to see one around, and i feel if everyone easy access to it we would see way too many around.

After reviewing the idea, I agree with you. It would be overpowered.

The surplus crate is pretty good anyway.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:If I want a butcher's knife, I'll play a chef until I get traitor. If I want a hacked scanner, I'll play Mechanic until I get traitor. If I want a mining charge hacker, I'll play Miner until I get traitor. If you're too much of a whiny bitch to put up with a few rounds as a job which you don't love, just order surplus crates. Christ, is it really that hard to find some ways of having fun as a chef? Especially now that Loaf is a thing?

Bravo jesus christ calm the fuck down.
You know that feeling, when you're without regular internet for a month, and you finally get the chance to log on and just blow up at the nearest indiscriminate victim?

Yeah, it's such a great feeling, I should do it more often. But seriously, many people have already pointed out that there's a reason for specific jobs getting specific, awesome, traitor items. It's a trade-off, and by increasing availability, you're actually just cutting down on the diversity of traitors/rampages.

(P.S. I hate you alllll)
ThoseDernSquirrels Wrote:

Bravo jesus christ calm the fuck down.

He's right though so fuck you.