Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
[PR] Brain Spooning
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

Added two new snack items with identical stats. Added two new animated icons. Made slight changes to existing code in surgery_procs and added a significant amount of new code to spoon brains out.

About the PR
This is implemented the following way

Proceed with normal head surgery as if to remove brain.
Once skull is sawed open, if you use the spoon on harm intent you will get a new snack item in your hand and deal 20 brain damage to your patient.
New snack has a different icon if enucleation spoon or kitchen spoon is used. New snack item has 2 units of prions in it.
Brain spooning cannot occur if subject is dead.
Brain spooning does not destroy the brain itself, so people can still be borged or cloned.

In its current implementation in order to do eye surgery now you must be on the HELP intent.

Why's this needed?

I was inspired by Gore's whack ideas thread on the forums, and by the movie Hannibal. Brain damage is something that is tangential at the moment. This is a direct way to inflict a significant amount of brain damage in a way that makes sense. I envision an antagonist round on Donut3 where the traitor Medical Director captures people, spoons out enough of their brain that they cant open doors or use computers and plops them in the asylum, or other variations on this. Alternatively this invasive procedure could be used instead of the death penalty for some traitors (situational of course.)

By not destroying the brain it does not hamper the ability to clone or borg. The small amount of prions included in the snack (2u) seems balanced to me, and you lose the tool you were using if you use an extractor on it, also providing some level of balance.

This is my first ever submission on github, let alone for goonstation. Looking forward to all types of feedback!

Big thanks to the folks on discord in imcoder, especially pali, mordent, Emily, yass, Adhara, ZeWaka, Lux, DimWhat and moonlol.

![Brainspoon](https://user-images.githubusercontent.co...4501ca.gif)
![BrainEspoon](https://user-images.githubusercontent.co...efdca6.gif)

[input wanted]
[feature]

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
additional video reference - NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibfBDKiw...meOfHorror

I just realized that I need to use (isalive(patient)) for the life check, I need to update this PR

oh wow that was actually suepr easy to update! Punctuation added for snack description and made the life check work properly. Thanks!
This is going to lead to some really weird shit. Specially with mannitol IV drips.
Hmmm yeah. Considering that the brain is not destroyed and how strong prions are, I am perfectly open to removing them from the snack item as well.
Perhaps make a special proc for it that just has a chance to give the eater kuru instead of having the reagent in there? So there's still a downside to this abomination of a wholesome snack, but it isn't really abuseable (unless you force-feed it to people).
I absolutely want to involve force feeding it to people. What would a reasonable chance be? Kuru is literally incurable guaranteed death. Extremely strong.

I feel like it might not be reasonable because of how strong it is frankly
Extracting the prions from the spoon destroys the spoon. 2u per spoon destroyed is not much considering they are not available in unlimited quantities.
Prions can be farmed way easier by producing brain, burgers as of now.

The spoon followed by feeding it to someone would probably require 4 spoons to be fed to someone in sequence so that the 6u proc for kuru can still be reached in time.

Balance wise I see no problem.
Whoever goes through the trouble to obtain 4 spoons from a living patient and then subsequently use those spoons for the next murder has taken a long-route of things to do to get there. Murdering people by stun-baton and any random death-pill is quicker to do and quicker to produce in large batches.
Please discuss the following changes! Adds the additional feature of spooning extra brain into someone or yourself to enhance your brain health. makes it so that scooping out brain makes it so that your brain HP cant rise past a certain point. Should fix issues about unlimited prions and mannitol IV drips.

Updated with the following. Big thanks to Shalhavet enitrely for these updated changes.

snacks.dm updated with a special use of Eat for the brainspoon snacks. If the snack item is used on someone with the harm intent the brain will be schlorped IN to the target. Either yourself or someone else. At the moment this does not check to see if any surgery states are active, so you can schlorp brain into anyone with or without surgery.

Additionally updated with a new variable, in brain.dm called amount_spooned_out that is tracked to determine the maximum brain HP available. If you have your brain scooped out 3 times, you wont be able to heal about 60 brain HP (the minimum amount needed for severe brain damage)

Changed damage.dm to look at brain.MAX_DAMAGE instead of just setting max brain health as 120.

Also changes Meathead in traits.dm to have them be affected by amount_spooned_out and and unable to raise brain hp above a certain amount
We updated it so that the skull needs to be cut open to spoon brain into it now.
I hate this idea and it makes me feel nauseous to think about. I love it, perfect for ss13.
what are peoples thoughts of having it so that if you have a certain amount of brain scoops added to you you get empath and/or telepathy? And what are thoughts on how many scoops per power?

5 scoops for telepathy?
10 scoops for empath?

or like 15 scoops for telpathy and 20 scoops for empath?
Hate it. Too morbid and dark. Torture Station 13 bad.
Yeah I don't like this...
(12-21-2020, 02:29 PM)Mordent Wrote: Hate it. Too morbid and dark. Torture Station 13 bad.

It might be for code reasons, but I also don't like it being referred to as snacks.
I've spent some time watching The Brain Scoop on Youtube: so from the thread title I initially thought this would be about (anatomical) preservation. Maybe something in that direction would be cool.
Good feedback for sure. Yes it was put in snacks.dm for code reasons but the eating aspect was in mind specifically as well.

Regarding the dark tone would it help if I changed the messages to be a bit sillier maybe? Or is the idea of doing surgery to specifically do brain damage and the eating just too dark in general.

Regarding g a constructive aspect It could be that a forward thinking doctor could scoop some monkey brains and store them in case people with brain damage would come in and have monkey brain scooped in to heal. A

If the tone of this really doesn't jive I can put it to bed with a tear and find something else that inspires. Considering that I'd like to keep going and feedback on the implementation would be welcome too!