Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Question: SS14 and/or Unitystation Posssibility
Question 
As the title suggests, I am unsure if Goon will ever make servers on SS14 or Unitystation when they are developed enough.
(12-16-2020, 03:51 PM)CommaIndividual Wrote: As the title suggests, I am unsure if Goon will ever make servers on SS14 or Unitystation when they are developed enough.
IIRC This would require them to re-code the entire base from scratch and is simply not feasible unless there is a tool that would easily convert BYOND code to unity
(12-16-2020, 03:51 PM)Question 20, December 5th 2020 TownHall Wrote:
  1. How do you feel about Unitystation, SS14, or the other remakes in different engines? If one caught on, would you consider migrating to it if it was more suited to all the things you want to see in Goon?
Migration is unfeasible as it would require a total recode because our codebases aren’t compatible, it would be a new game entirely. We can’t “port” Goonstation.
Source
(12-16-2020, 04:09 PM)Comrade f191 Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 03:51 PM)Question 20, December 5th 2020 TownHall Wrote:
  1. How do you feel about Unitystation, SS14, or the other remakes in different engines? If one caught on, would you consider migrating to it if it was more suited to all the things you want to see in Goon?
Migration is unfeasible as it would require a total recode because our codebases aren’t compatible, it would be a new game entirely. We can’t “port” Goonstation.
Source

Welp, oh well.

(12-16-2020, 04:09 PM)mralexs Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 03:51 PM)CommaIndividual Wrote: As the title suggests, I am unsure if Goon will ever make servers on SS14 or Unitystation when they are developed enough.
IIRC This would require them to re-code the entire base from scratch and is simply not feasible unless there is a tool that would easily convert BYOND code to unity

Welp, oh well.  One could hope.  I do see how it would be a monumental task to port it over, though.
To repeat what I said in town hall regarding that question, we currently have no plans to move to Unitystation or SS14 either. This isn't necessarily policy but rather the general pulse of the team. We didn't gather all up in a big ol' meeting and have a huge debate and vote to not move like a council. Rather, a lot of us don't feel a strong desire to move, and because of that lack of passion, there isn't much eagerness to partake in the massive undertaking to "port" over Goonstation to Unitystation or SS14 or whatever. Compare the human resprite project; it's a lot of work, but some of us are passionate enough that we want to undertake it anyways.

Relocating's not something that really crosses our minds often. In fact, I'm pretty confident the players talk more about moving to Unitystation or SS14 than we do. Maybe you'll see one of us try them out or even contribute some code or something to them, but 9 times out 10, it'll likely be more out of personal interest rather than a concerted team effort to bring Goonstation onto the platform.
TBH I don't think SS14 is at a state where relocating is even possible. I haven't checked unity station in a while. Things like arrivals shuttle aren't even in on SS14 though.

What I assume servers will likely do if they want to tred the waters is just host copies of the base games.

I don't see why future servers wouldn't just take the base SS14/Unity branches and just slowly make their own changes. OpenSS13/old goonstation underwent a similar process.

But more to the point, I'd rather see unity/SS14 servers take that code and do something interesting or funny with it, not just recreate what Byond can already do "But on a different platform".

Also I'm 99 percent certain that the difference between Unity and SS14 is that SS14 was based on SS13 Standalone, which never used Unity.