Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Add overhead actions and timers to window actions
Right now, no matter what kind of window you're trying to remove, it only takes you seconds to completely unscrew a window and move it. A window into space should not take a second or two to remove.

My idea is to add the overhead progress bars to unscrewing windows and using a crowbar on them, and increase the time it takes to complete the action from instant to literally anything else. 2 seconds per action? 3? Anything would be better than instant. Additionally if there was a way to make, say, plasma glass windows take even longer since they're heavily reinforced.
It'd make sense for unscrewing and removing windows to take longer, they're probably sealed and reinforced thoroughly. Plus removing a window would probably be rather difficult if there's pressure differences between inside and space. I think 2-3 seconds for regular windows is fair. Perhaps plasma glass can follow the reinforced wall and require more steps such as welder, screwdriver, crowbar, wrench, crowbar, screwdriver or something along those lines.

Right now plasma glass is extremely simple to remove. I'd still want windows to be easier to remove than walls, but not three actions that can done in a single second if you're holding a screwdriver and crowbar.
I strongly support this. Perhaps have external or just reinforced windows be sealed via welder, requiring you to unweld it?

Would probably have to change construction of windows to balance this out though to be at least a little slower than making a wall.
This would make it a lot harder to break into the bridge from outside on Oshan.
(12-16-2020, 09:44 AM)aft2001 Wrote: I strongly support this. Perhaps have external or just reinforced windows be sealed via welder, requiring you to unweld it?

Would probably have to change construction of windows to balance this out though to be at least a little slower than making a wall.
Problem is right now there's no difference between a window spawned inside a station or on the exterior. I feel like checking for atmos on all sides of the window would be a pain to code potentially.

Honestly even just requiring three 3 second actions to undo a normal window and welding + the three 3 second actions to undo a plasma glass window would be a major improvement.

(12-16-2020, 10:31 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: This would make it a lot harder to break into the bridge from outside on Oshan.

*eyebrow
I don't see that as a bad thing
Strongly agree with this. Its way too easy to get in and out of places just by screwdrive/crowbar/screwdriving a window. Maybe increase the time slightly for normal glass, and add more steps for reinforced glass, akin to how it takes longer to dismantle reinforced walls compared to normal walls.
I didn't really mean to make it seem like that was a bad thing Sord.
My opinion is that if it takes longer to remove a window with tools than it does to smash a window with a welder Ill just start smashing instead.
I say if it's changed to be timed based, it should work like

1. Screwdriver to make/unmake airtight. This takes a good amount of the total time
2. Crowbar to get out of place and make movable. This one in quicker if not still instant

And then take out the third step of needing to screwdriver it a third time.

You have the hard control of the two timers, so a third action seem unnecessary, but once the window is unscrewdrivered, the shorter timing of the crowbar still lets you use windows as quick move barriers.
I definitely think the time it takes to disassemble a window should be proportionate with its material and toughness, it defeats the point of gating off important areas with reinforced plasmaglass when it takes the same amount of time to shift out of the way as a regular glass window.
I thought the time component of a window either being tiny or tedious to get past it was determined by the fact whether it be above a live wire or not.
Hell - windows with wires below'em are hell without insulative gloves. Then you already have to throw shit against it for hours.
(12-16-2020, 11:03 PM)GORE Wrote: I thought the time component of a window either being tiny or tedious to get past it was determined by the fact whether it be above a live wire or not.
Hell - windows with wires below'em are hell without insulative gloves. Then you already have to throw shit against it for hours.

Ssh, you can cut the wire under a grille to get a small shock, then cut the grille fine
I don't think it should be based on atmos for how long it takes to unsecure, just whether or not the window is reinforced, and if it's made of plasma.

Reinforced windows could just require wirecutters between each step to cut out the metal reinforcements from the floor, and plasma windows will require welding, so reinforced plasma windows will require something like:

weld -> wirecutters -> unscrew -> wirecutters -> crowbar -> wirecutters -> screwdriver -> weld

On a related note, please add reinforced plasmaglass sheets to Oshan and Manta Engineering thanks.
(12-17-2020, 05:59 AM)Boxta Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 11:03 PM)GORE Wrote: I thought the time component of a window either being tiny or tedious to get past it was determined by the fact whether it be above a live wire or not.

Ssh, you can cut the wire under a grille to get a small shock, then cut the grille fine

Will still kill you if you the station is hotwired.

I'd rather see a reinforced grill instead of changes to the windows themselves.