Mentor Application
Usual character names: Rhea Kestrel (MedSci), Raven Starling (Sec/Command), Seriema Osprey (Engineering), Perisoreus (Cyborg), AVE-2 (AI), Caique the Clown (duh) (Old character names are Wren Finch, Robin Crow, Ibis Harrier, Koel Cockatiel, B.I.R.D.)
BYOND username: Varali
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Varali
Recommended by (if applicable): Jan.antilles, Nexusuxen, Varshie
Goon servers you play: RP Overflow and RP 1

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

When I first joined Goonstation, it was terrifying. A weird engine, weird controls, a ton of different systems and mechanics everywhere, it's disorienting. I think I spent the first week or so purely playing Ghostdrone to get a grip on map layouts, basic controls and basic construction without having to worry about roleplaying or interacting with people. Eventually I worked up enough courage to try actually playing, and I got addicted despite the very scary learning curve. As a fresh newbie, my goal was to learn every job and mechanic and be somewhat competent at everything, both because I love learning and because everything on Goon was fresh and exciting! It was like entering a candy store, I wanted to try it all and see how many flavors there were and which were my favorite.

Mentorhelps are a brilliant tool that I took advantage of and thanks to them, I went on to learn almost everything there was to learn. At this point I don't think there's a single role I haven't played and I can't think of any mechanics or game knowledge I don't at least have a grasp of how to use. Thanks to that, I've managed to help out a lot of people during rounds and it made me really happy to give back to the community. And honestly, taking my time learning so much about Goonstation has been an absolute blast and I want to help people discover the wonderful things it has to offer.  I've always had a liking for teaching, but something about Goonstation has really made me love it. Some of my favorite rounds were spent teaching people for two hours straight in character only for them to message me on Discord saying they had a blast, and I'd love to get access to mentorhelps to be able to help even more people since the vast majority of time I am online, I'm probably in a round and not checking the Discord.

Now that I feel confident in my knowledge and experience, I'm prepared to finally apply for mentor status. One of the big reasons as for why I want to become a mentor is that I live in the EU and when I was a fresh player there were often times when I asked mentorhelp for something and never got a response as people were asleep or busy. I'd love to be there for any people in similar situations during these times so I can offer my help in any way I can. That said, me being in rounds most of the time and not checking Discord is probably my biggest flaw and one of the reasons some people might not know much about me. I still try my best, but most of the help I give out is in-round via IC or LOOC, or Discord DMs while I'm relaxing.

While I got addicted to the game, the community is the reason I'm staying. From the mentors to the admins and regulars, I've met a lot of great people, and if I can help someone fall in love with this community or game just like how I did, I'll be happy.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): 
None!
Yes.

Varali is someone who I'm frankly surprised isn't a mentor yet. I don't think I've ever had a bad round with them, and one area that I think they're particularly brilliant that they don't highlight in this application is as an antag. Rhea and Caique make for excellent and unique antags that always offer something different to a round. I think they'd be able to offer good guidance to new players on game mechanics in general, but also give invaluable insights as to what might help make a good antag on RP rounds.

Varali is also a reliable silicon and sec officer; I think I've seen them do most their teaching when playing Seriema, who I recently saw helping run cargo and teach about egnineering and mining while playing mechanic (while still fielding requests for new machines). Everything I've seen from them shows how much they want to be a constructive part of the community, from helping create interesting in-round narratives, to dispensing advice and guidance through Discord or in-game means, to participation in forum threads about ideas and suggestions.

+1! Glad you made this application!
Yea sure

I trust the judgement of the people who reccomended this app be made and I know Varali a little bit from chemnerdery. Seems like a good peep and I think they'd be a good mentor.

+1
(12-11-2020, 01:03 PM)Varali Wrote: Recommended by (if applicable): Jan.antilles, Nexusuxen, Varshie, KAMADES

Yes. Varali is deeply knowledgable, responsible with said knowledge, and will make a great addtion to the purple nerd squad. Also, amazing bird references. Like, just astonishing attention to detail on a naming theme.

Frankly, I'm shocked and apalled that they were not already made a mentor from sheer weight of brainmeat purpleshifting their name.

0 reseverations, look forward to you somehow making a mentor mouse into a lizard.
ye

prominent, recognizable name in the rp community, knowledgeable and trustworthy +1
Yes, yes, and HECK yes! Varali is awesome, and I have zero reservations about recommending them as a mentor! I have learned a lot from them and I know many others will too. Their characters are so memorable, and add so much to a round.

+1 to a fantastic player and a great person too!
I trust Varali a lot as a player and as a person. I think having them on the mentor team would be great and I know they would try to help people when they could.

From what I've seen they have always worked in the best interest of everyone around them and there isn't a doubt in my mind that they have helped out over a dozen people already.
Varali is wonderful, I've enjoyed seeing them grow as a player and becoming more and more knowledgeable about the game. They're fun to play with and more than willing to help people out. They've also been a great help in assisting me with finding bugs and other irritations that would have normally flown under the radar (looking at you Atlas). I think they'd be a great mentor and I've been looking forward to seeing them apply!
(12-11-2020, 01:03 PM)Varali Wrote: Recommended by (if applicable): Jan.antilles, Nexusuxen, Varshie

I recommended that Varali apply for a few reasons, though I do want to make it clear that she is a friend of mine, and I'd rather make that intrinsic bias clear as I try to explain my recommendation as neutrally as I can. Varali has consistently shown a desire to not only learn the game's niche mechanics, but teach them to others. Numerous times I've seen her spend entire rounds helping newer doctors or roboticists or security officers. In terms of aptitude towards helping others and game knowledge, she absolutely scores well on that front.

Additionally, I personally trust her with metaknowledge - Varali actively avoids powergaming, and I know full well that she will meet up with someone who, OOC, she absolutely knows is a changeling, but will still go along with it anyways because it's far more interesting and realistic that way (as realistic as a spaceman fart game can be). I would be genuinely surprised if she took advantage of metainformation based on how she reacts to things going on in a round.

I still support my recommendation, and would be rather disappointed if she did not become a mentor, as we would be missing out on someone who genuinely wants to help this community and those who wish to play this wacky game. +1
I support making this bird as purple as sonic oc. Well prominent, and a fun good player!
Absolutely! She’s kind, knowledgeable, and really seems to enjoy showing people the ropes even when things can get stressful. I have no doubt that she’ll make a superb mentor.
Took pity on Smells To See even playing her mean lizard OC, +1 from me

Kidding, not the only reason but stilla +1 from me
Varali is incredibly kind and knowledgeable and it's at times like this I find out they're also Wren and have been teaching for longer than i even thought
+1
smelly lizard

+1
Bring back BIRB!

Great person, great player, nothing more to add that hasn't already been said. Needs the purp.

+1