Riot's HoS Application
Usual character name: Eric Rivers
BYOND username: Gamerguy1948 [Should probably change to Riot eventually]
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Riot#8897
Recommended by (if applicable): NA
Goon servers you play: Main RP [Formerly Nightshade]
Reason for application: Since I started playing SS13 back in July shortly after the release of Nightshade, I've put a lot of effort into improving my competence when playing a security role. I regularly communicate with my sec pals, reporting suspicious activities and potential threats to the station. I maintain a fair-minded attitude when apprehending and charging threats to the station and do what can to show the ropes to new blooded security members and help guide them to make good judgement calls when needed. With these traits in mind I've decided to apply for HoS put these traits to better uses, so I can help the security team organize and coordinate when dealing with  all sorts of stressful scenarios. (e.g. Cargo arming a monkey army with phasers.)

Security experience (300 word minimum): My interest in SS13 started when Tomato began telling stories about his exploits on Goon Station and the RP scenarios he had ended up being involved in, But I only began to actually play the game after Tomato had mentioned he was beginning to plan out a way to stream SS13, after reading many of the basics from the handy dandy wiki, I began my plunge into the game as a geneticist main, but I shortly found myself interested in playing command and security roles. When I first began playing security I mainly kept to myself when patrolling, only speaking to the others over the radio when asked for, or when I needed advice when dealing with certain scenarios, but after Nightshade was released and when I began to get used to the mainstays I overall began to interact more with the rest of the security team. I rarely managed to see Heads of Security over in Nightshade but when they were around security would be in top shape, So even then I had aspirations of applying to become one. Of course eventually Nightshade would shut down and I'd migrate to Goon RP and for a short time I regressed to the way I was at the start of Nightshade till I got used to the mainstays again and since then I've been doing my best work on my craft.

When it comes to apprehending crooks I tend to use space law as the base for punishment and modify it based on the context of the situation, and how fair it is to the victim and the suspect. I always give out my concerns to the rest of the security team if I feel a punishment is too severe or to lenient and will give my suggestion if asked for it.
For example I am greatly against the idea of permabrigging and will always suggest and alternative to it, as there is not many stories than can be played out while permanently locked up in a cell, hell I'd think execution is a better option if borging isn't an option, because at least it gives a chance for a story to have a proper conclusion rather than just pushing to the backburner.

When it comes to dealing with minor crimes around the station I prefer to give the suspect the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to explain the situation before deciding if they deserve punishment or not. If I encounter a skirmish between crewmembers I'll do my best to non violently end the conflict and ask all sides, including witnesses for the context of the disagreement, and if all sides can bury the hatchet and apologize and forgive each other I will not press any charges and move on.

So, when it comes to roleplaying as sec I truly think that one the more important things for the security team to do is to help progress, further and or mend other players stories, rather than impeding, stagnating and or ruining them and to be willing to adjust the security teams efforts to help the players stories flow naturally.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    • Remember to communicate with your team, cooperation is key to maintaining a proper sec team. 
    • Own up to your mistakes, we all make them and we can all push pass them together.
    • If ever feel like you need guidance, you can always consult your team (If they are alive.)
What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
  • A better way to label security pinpointers, they can really come in handy when searching for missing equipment or spaced officers but it can be a pain to hunt down a labeler if one isn't available at the HQ and having to go through the process of labeling each pinpointer on at a time.
  • Perhaps a simplified copy of space law on the pdas, books are the past, the future is now.
What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
  • One of my favorite security moments was when sec was in chaos and the HoS was kidnapped and I was given permission to don the spare gear in his locker and became the junior HoS and dedicated myself to rescuing the original HoS.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    • I've always wanted to see a full sized security team become the fashion police, dedicating themselves to save the unstylish masses from themselves. A beefed up version of a round I had in Nightshade when there was only one other officer on duty and crime was low.
Draw a picture!

Look I can't get this picture up for the life of me if you want to see it dm me on the discord. Oops.

I forgot to mention that I have had no bans, I'mma good egg I swear!
I've played a fair bit with Eric Rivers on main RP, both as Secoff and general crew, and he's always been very calm and very professional. Always. I was actually wondering when he was gonna apply for HoS position so i could support him. You can give him the whitelist eyes closed.
For starters, you've got a well-written app.

We've played plenty together over the past few months (I'm guessing you took a little break somewhere in the middle where we didn't cross paths), and while I don't have any crazy memorable moments...I think that's part of your reliability. You're consistent when you're on, you communicate well, and I trust you enough to hand newer SecOffs to you to help work with them.

That's enough for a +1.
(01-16-2021, 09:48 AM)Riot Wrote: Usual character name: Eric Rivers
BYOND username: Gamerguy1948 [Should probably change to Riot eventually]
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Riot#8897
Recommended by (if applicable): NA
Goon servers you play: Main RP [Formerly Nightshade]
Reason for application: Since I started playing SS13 back in July shortly after the release of Nightshade, I've put a lot of effort into improving my competence when playing a security role. I regularly communicate with my sec pals, reporting suspicious activities and potential threats to the station. I maintain a fair-minded attitude when apprehending and charging threats to the station and do what can to show the ropes to new blooded security members and help guide them to make good judgement calls when needed. With these traits in mind I've decided to apply for HoS put these traits to better uses, so I can help the security team organize and coordinate when dealing with  all sorts of stressful scenarios. (e.g. Cargo arming a monkey army with phasers.)

Security experience (300 word minimum): My interest in SS13 started when Tomato began telling stories about his exploits on Goon Station and the RP scenarios he had ended up being involved in, But I only began to actually play the game after Tomato had mentioned he was beginning to plan out a way to stream SS13, after reading many of the basics from the handy dandy wiki, I began my plunge into the game as a geneticist main, but I shortly found myself interested in playing command and security roles. When I first began playing security I mainly kept to myself when patrolling, only speaking to the others over the radio when asked for, or when I needed advice when dealing with certain scenarios, but after Nightshade was released and when I began to get used to the mainstays I overall began to interact more with the rest of the security team. I rarely managed to see Heads of Security over in Nightshade but when they were around security would be in top shape, So even then I had aspirations of applying to become one. Of course eventually Nightshade would shut down and I'd migrate to Goon RP and for a short time I regressed to the way I was at the start of Nightshade till I got used to the mainstays again and since then I've been doing my best work on my craft.

When it comes to apprehending crooks I tend to use space law as the base for punishment and modify it based on the context of the situation, and how fair it is to the victim and the suspect. I always give out my concerns to the rest of the security team if I feel a punishment is too severe or to lenient and will give my suggestion if asked for it.
For example I am greatly against the idea of permabrigging and will always suggest and alternative to it, as there is not many stories than can be played out while permanently locked up in a cell, hell I'd think execution is a better option if borging isn't an option, because at least it gives a chance for a story to have a proper conclusion rather than just pushing to the backburner.

When it comes to dealing with minor crimes around the station I prefer to give the suspect the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance to explain the situation before deciding if they deserve punishment or not. If I encounter a skirmish between crewmembers I'll do my best to non violently end the conflict and ask all sides, including witnesses for the context of the disagreement, and if all sides can bury the hatchet and apologize and forgive each other I will not press any charges and move on.

So, when it comes to roleplaying as sec I truly think that one the more important things for the security team to do is to help progress, further and or mend other players stories, rather than impeding, stagnating and or ruining them and to be willing to adjust the security teams efforts to help the players stories flow naturally.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    • Remember to communicate with your team, cooperation is key to maintaining a proper sec team. 
    • Own up to your mistakes, we all make them and we can all push pass them together.
    • If ever feel like you need guidance, you can always consult your team (If they are alive.)
What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
  • A better way to label security pinpointers, they can really come in handy when searching for missing equipment or spaced officers but it can be a pain to hunt down a labeler if one isn't available at the HQ and having to go through the process of labeling each pinpointer on at a time.
  • Perhaps a simplified copy of space law on the pdas, books are the past, the future is now.
What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
  • One of my favorite security moments was when sec was in chaos and the HoS was kidnapped and I was given permission to don the spare gear in his locker and became the junior HoS and dedicated myself to rescuing the original HoS.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    • I've always wanted to see a full sized security team become the fashion police, dedicating themselves to save the unstylish masses from themselves. A beefed up version of a round I had in Nightshade when there was only one other officer on duty and crime was low.
Draw a picture!

Look I can't get this picture up for the life of me if you want to see it dm me on the discord. Oops.

I forgot to mention that I have had no bans, I'mma good egg I swear!

Uhh ignore that reply troubleshooting

Uhh ignore that reply troubleshooting
If you would ask me to name a player that is consistently playing as a great and reliable security officer, that would be Eric Rivers, although I have not an extended amount of hours as a Security Officer, but from all those times I have played, he was there 9 times out of 10.

I look forward to work under your umbrella, HoS Rivers *salutes*
This is one that I've taken a lot of time to sit on and think about. Eric Rivers is a name I do see often as Sec, and I always appreciate his commitment to the role. He plays it straight, gets involved, is responsive and communicates well with his other officers.

Sometimes we do butt heads about the decisions I make as HoS, and disagree about how things should be handled. But you know what? I respect that he stands up for what he believes, and I trust him as an officer to have the good of the station and the crew at heart. Even if he's quicker to take action than I am, or harsher on criminals than I would be, that kind of difference is one that makes both of us better officers as we learn from one another's different styles.

I respect him as an officer and hope to serve with him in the future as HoS.

+1 from me!
+1, too tired to write too much so I'm just gonna say, solid officer all around pretty helpful.
+1 Eric Rivers is someone I know I can count on when playing sec.
The admin team has decided to accept your Head of Security application. Welcome to the fold! Hope your picture makes it too.