Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
[PR] Removes Obesity Mutation
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[REMOVAL] [INPUT WANTED]
About the PR

I removed every reference to the fat mutation from the game.

Any medals that relied upon the mutation for unlocking have had alternate acquisition methods added.

Touched critter code a li'l to facilitate one of the medal methods.

All gene combos that used the obesity gene now use a different gene instead.

Why's this needed?

The obesity mutation was kinda gross and insensitive.
Also, fuck having to maintain separate sprites for onesizefitsall clothes.

Changelog

Code:
(u)Camryn Buttes:
(*)Removed the obesity mutation
(*)Added new ways to get all four medals associated with the obesity mutation
(*)Changed genetics combination recipes requiring the obesity mutation
(+)Pet a space bear 2day

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Call me cold or whatever but I am not approving of your reasoning. One could call the effects of brain damage insensitive. One could call farts and urine gross.

I for one see the obesity mutation as a gameplay mechanic first rather than to dibble into ethics, morality and all that kinda fuzzy stuff people like to argue days and weeks and years and aeons about.

Lipolicid from weight-loss-shakes and the mutation of obesity have a nice little mini-system of: here is a mechanic that is probably going to bother you as you are seriously capped in your ability to wear many items and hold many things. Also - yo there is this item in the vending machine to get rid of this status.

What about clowns who might want to DNA inject a security officer with this mutation?
It leads to more interesting stories that unfold in comparison to - sec officer got taser - clown got lube - clown wins.
For me it is simply a gameplay mechanic and with the mechanic I see nothing wrong.

You may have your different kind of view on this matter - but in all honesty I do not see how removing a fairly outside-of-the-usual gameplay mechanic benefits anyone.

Feel free to remove the distainful jokes you mentioned in your PR, but I disagree with removing the mutation and this neat little system.
I mean I understand the reasoning of making sprite work easier but I don't understand the reason behind getting rid of this for sensitivity or whatever. As GORE said there is a bunch of other stuff that could be removed as well if we are going down that path.
Coulda just said something like people are just too lazy to make fat people sprites with the new human sprite overhaul.
(12-06-2020, 05:05 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: As GORE said there is a bunch of other stuff that could be removed as well if we are going down that path.

This is just my first PR.

I didn't want to overload it by tackling more than one thing at a time, but I will hopefully have some stuff coming down the pipeline.

Edit: most of the other problematic stuff can be handled with just a renaming/reflavoring. I figured I might as well go all the way with removing obesity because of the pain in the ass it's been wrt spriting
Honestly, saying "other things are problematic too" is a non-sequitur and kinda whataboutism, whether it's for or against this. It's related, but ultimately separate and irrelevant. Yeah, maybe some other things are problematic, but this PR is not supposed to address those things. It's meant to address one particular issue, that happens to be part of something larger, and it should be judged on how it addresses that part rather than the whole.

Anyways, a week ago, obesity was changed so that it no longer makes you unable to wear most jumpsuits and outerwear (and indirectly blocks pockets + belt). Now instead makes your sprite larger. You still have running making you hotter and chance to suddenly get heart disease.

Because of that change from "obesity = fat" to "obesity = giant size", quite a few interactions involving obesity no longer make sense, like that aforementioned chance to get heart disease. Now that the big downside is now something neutral/cosmetic, that's also thrown some of the balance out of wack. In particular, obesity preventing you from getting choked and thus getting strangled/absorbed by a hivemind is a little overpowered now that you no longer have that disadvantage.

Of course, that could be argument to revert obesity back to the old form instead. But that brings back the issue that it's hard to sprite stuff for obese characters, like Camryn said, and the issue of the jumpsuit ripping causing problems with clothing that do something special upon equipping, e.g. froggy jumpsuits.
Honestly, I don't see it as being offensive but I guess it's understandable to see if someone else does. Regardless, I think this is a good change. Fat mutation is incredibly annoying, it basically strips you of everything you're wearing which can be incredibly annoying for new players especially if the station gets breached and there's no one around to help them or guide them to MedBay. Not top of that, as far as I know, no one has any interest on making the jumpsuit sprites for the mutation, which leaves it in unfinished Dev hell.

I think removing it is a positive change towards polishing off the game, and I think saying improve don't remove is easier said than done and only encourages a detrimental development procrastination
But the thing is...it did not need jumpsuit sprites. The effect was that you were unable to wear a jumpsuit at all...so...changing it to people being able to wear a jumpsuit again and then saying that it is too hard to keep up making sprites for these larger jumpsuits is a problem that was introduced by the recent change.

I would like for the old version of this mutation to re-appear; simply as there was a fair counter to this mutation and it was one of the ways a genetecist traitor was able to really mess up the station by putting it into the cloner.
(12-07-2020, 01:49 AM)GORE Wrote: But the thing is...it did not need jumpsuit sprites. The effect was that you were unable to wear a jumpsuit at all...so...changing it to people being able to wear a jumpsuit again and then saying that it is too hard to keep up making sprites for these larger jumpsuits is a problem that was introduced by the recent change.

Let me clarify the sprite problem I spoke of. Under the new version of obesity, you wouldn't need new sprites because the game just scales the regular sprites up. Under the old version, you would at need to at least consider if you wanted sprites for obese people, because there were some jumpsuits and other clothes that did fit. In fact, there was an file of just jumpsuit sprites for the obese, and that sort of thing is what is being spoken about. It was an issue with the old version of obesity, not the new one.

As whether to bring it back, I'm rather not inclined to for both the reasons Carb and the reasons I previously mentioned.
FWIW when I got obesity from an artifact someone started making very harsh comments about it and continued after I got it fixed. That could be very unpleasant for anyone with trauma about their body image.
(12-07-2020, 02:29 AM)Katzen Wrote: FWIW when I got obesity from an artifact someone started making very harsh comments about it and continued after I got it fixed. That could be very unpleasant for anyone with trauma about their body image.

That sounds like a person being a problem. Ahelp that.
I asked myself "does obesity add anything of value to the game" and came up with "no"

remove it.
I've used it as a ling to sting people into having most of their gear drop off them, and traitor geneticists can do similar stuff - having non-murder ways to mess with people adds value to the game. It's got more mechanical interactions than, say, Tourettes or Tinnitus.

If "Obesity" is beyond the pale, could re-naming it "Slippery Skin", or something, and removing the sprite change to keep that functionality in be an option?
I don't care because it sounds like its something you guys are going to remove regardless of input.
(12-07-2020, 10:09 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: I don't care because it sounds like its something you guys are going to remove regardless of input.
idk, this thread was specifically made to get community feedback on the feature. devs may have the final say in whether or not it gets merged but its also good to see what people think and if they do/dont support something
Kill it, not worth the roadblocks for this gimmick feature. The joke is tired and old.