Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
[PR] Removes Obesity Mutation
What about different chromosomes doing different stuff? Sync'd doesnt drop clothes, empowered does along with bigger move speed debuff and slightly increased melee damage. Maybe empowered is slightly bigger sprite aswell or something so obesity hulk geneticist is like tank.

As non antag geneticist I often give myself obesity for the +5 stability, the gene does have uses apart from annoying people. You often dont have to move far when doing genetics and if you get thermal who cares about clothes when medbay gets vented.

Also that situation with the person making rude comments sounds very much like an issue with that person rather than this feature.

My vote is to keep the gene and maybe even give it a bit more utlity.
(12-07-2020, 06:31 AM)Clean Your Teeth Wrote: If "Obesity" is beyond the pale, could re-naming it "Slippery Skin", or something, and removing the sprite change to keep that functionality in be an option?

You could probably roll those features into the sweating mutation, Apocrine Enhancement?

Instead of being harmless, it could cause item dropping because of all the sweat
The obesity gene is a moderately effective tool for geneticists to use, either as antag, or to nonviolently hamper a troublemaker. Yet not too debilitating, nor difficult to fix. It has a role in the gameplay.

if people are trying to shit on obesity in a derogatory manner, ahelp it.

Is there anyone here who actually felt offended by the mere presence of the gene? If so, I'll gladly retract my objection to this PR.
This thread is bait. It's clear that the powers that be have already decided its fate, and this thread is an exercise in seeing who bites.

If you have any strong feelings against its removal, I strongly suggest keeping them to yourself. It won't do you any good in this matter, and will be noted as a black mark against you in the long run.
(12-07-2020, 08:34 PM)Jack Tenniel Wrote: This thread is bait. 
If you have any strong feelings against its removal ... [it] will be noted as a black mark against you in the long run.

You're greatly misunderstanding how we operate. We don't make bait in forums. And I can tell you the only bait I've ever made as an admin was var-editing some neuro into a meta-gamer to confirm that they were VC'ing with another player out of the game (rule breaking).

Given your post, that this is an admitted alt-forums-account, and your disdain in the feedback forums in 2016, seems you've got trust issues with the staff. If there's anything concrete you'd like to address, and if it would improve your relationship with the Goon staff, please post it in the feedback forums.
(12-07-2020, 08:34 PM)Jack Tenniel Wrote: This thread is bait. It's clear that the powers that be have already decided its fate, and this thread is an exercise in seeing who bites.

If you have any strong feelings against its removal, I strongly suggest keeping them to yourself. It won't do you any good in this matter, and will be noted as a black mark against you in the long run.

I don't think that's fair response in the least bit. Someone made a PR that removes something they don't think should be in the game. This is the thread to voice your opinion about that. Some people have defended it's inclusion with clear points, objectively by pointing out it's role in certain game mechanics, or making the case for player behavior.

Some have advocated for it's removal, subjectively offering their takes that it's value to the game isn't worth a punch down joke. Others have offered compromise solutions.

This offers nothing but division.
(12-06-2020, 05:05 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: ... I don't understand the reason behind getting rid of this for sensitivity or whatever. ...

I feel obliged to take a sec to talk about this: Content like this can have a silent or otherwise unobservable effect by driving people away who don't say anything about it and just fuck off when the game makes them feel like shit. Also contentious content like this is by definition not going to offend everyone, or even a majority of people. But it is going to hurt someone, and that is a bigger con than the middling pro of ...having the extra variety? 

We could definitely rework most of the effects into some differently-themed mutation, but if that means removing it until someone does i'm all for it.
Loosing the functionality is bad.
If one feels annyoed by the mutation and would like to see it go one should at least go all the way and reintroduce the effect of being unable to wear jumpsuits via the same PR through a new mutation.

I would have rather seen a re-work than a removal.
Feel like more was lost than gained due to genetecists antag tools being reduced by this.
Oh hey, this PR got surprisingly got merged already. Not much change since previous, but one of the recipes for Musclature Enhancement now requires Physically Unfit + Natural Anti-Toxins, rather than Pseudonecrosis + Natural Anti-Toxins as originally proposed. Gotta move this thread then.

Anyways, gonna encourage anyone who's got any ideas on how to make the old inability to wear majority of jumpsuits and outerwear or the new sprite stretching to come back into the game to make a thread or code something themselves. Maid here put it best: for now, it's been decided it should be removed, but the dev team is still open to the possibility of the mutation being reworked and reintroduced. Same deal with Ass Jam, pathology, and a whole lot of things. So if you think this being removed is the end of any possibility of a rework, you're fortunately mistaken.