Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Human Resprite Thread
I feel like a dick saying this, because they are really good and I know a ton of work has gone into making them, but I don't like them.

They just don't fit the aesthetics of the game imo - they look like mini michelin men or dwarves. Too cute and cuddly. Honestly, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the current sprites.

My 2c
I have crept awake from my old tomb to say that I think everything looks awesome.

In response to earlier posts, these sprites could be seen as having a masculine look because of the eyebrows. The original sprites lack any eyebrows at all. In my opinion, the eyebrows should be removed from the new sprites to get that iconic "spaceman" look, but again, just my opinion. The lips are also darker and could be seen as moustache-like.

[Image: PAVenpf.png]

Here I compare the new sprite head vs the old. From left to right - with eyebrows, without, and with weird old lips.

[Image: qtxpqOi.png]

Another comparison.
Left - evil eyebrow man has stolen identity of old spaceman! grr!
Right - happy, generic, spaceman. all is well, change is bad
(disclaimer: sarcastic comments made in jest since I am not sure how to word this)
I enjoy the blank expressions the current ones have, the eyebrows are I think the thing that bugs me subtly
Eyebrows should definitely just be a choice in the character creation ready up screen. We have eyebrow choices already like bushy eyebrows.
Hey, this is done now! It's unreal to actually really finish it, and I'd like to and I'd like to give a big thanks to everyone who supported it and contributed. In particular, huge thanks to Erinexx, Gannets, Supernorn, Jan-antilles, Flourish, Batelite, Skeletonman0, Matheus, Schwick, Retrino, Virvatuli and Walpvrgis for contributing sprites, and to Mordent, Zewaka and Pali6 for coding help and other technical stuff. If you find any issues, feel free to ping me, @?????????? ????? , in #imspriter?✨ on Discord, or just post here I guess!
I'm going to say a few things that aren't really issues and only one actually really bothers me that much but I figure I might as well mention it.

People look like they are floating a bit but I think thats cause a perspective change and its easy to get used to.
The brows kind of cover eyes and it doesn't seem like theres an option to remove it. I genuinely couldn't tell if I had eyes and still can't.
The heights look a bit off but thats pretty easy to get used to as well.
This is the one that actually kind of bothers me, the heads look weirdly wide and it kind of makes some clothing look stretched out and not fitting.

Like I said most of these aren't really issues and just take some getting used to but I figured I might as well mention them. I really like the item resprites and a good bit of the human resprite and I appreciate all the work that was put into it.
one problem is that in my opinion, the bedsheet capes look a bit less colorful than they used to be
Everything looks fucking great, serously well done. I love the new feel and its looks. However ive noticed one small issue.. bald people look WEIRD! Like, having hair is i guess what your supposed to have, but there are alot of us bald people! And i mean, the heads look so.. big.. but other then bald people it really does look amazing.
Really love the slightly on fire sprites! Not sure if I like the double legs yet on the 'fully aflame' model, but it'll grow on me.
(04-20-2021, 08:03 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote: Everything looks fucking great, serously well done. I love the new feel and its looks. However ive noticed one small issue.. bald people look WEIRD! Like, having hair is i guess what your supposed to have, but there are alot of us bald people! And i mean, the heads look so.. big.. but other then bald people it really does look amazing.

Agreed. My character looks like Dr. Robotnik now. Is that a good thing? I don't know.
Just gotta say - I LOVE the new monkey sprites. they look... somehow fluffier and more adorable!

Chimples Chimpers

-Also, when are the sprites planned to be implemented ingame?
(04-21-2021, 06:02 AM)TheRealFlapJackson Wrote: Just gotta say - I LOVE the new monkey sprites. they look... somehow fluffier and more adorable!

Chimples Chimpers

-Also, when are the sprites planned to be implemented ingame?

They were added yesterday.
I'm gonna compile my findings here.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the update. It turned out much better than I had ever expected. The issues I'm going to present here are definitely exceptions rather than the rule.

With that in mind, I've grouped the issues I found by severity.

Minor:
  • Side-sprites for the moe-blob mask are facing the camera just a biiiit too much
  • Cowboy hat feels a teensy bit too small
  • The Vaguely Greek Helmet is... more round than it should be I guess? It doesn't actually look bad, it just looks less pointy than the object it's trying to represent looks

Moderate:
  • Galoshes might be too shiny and look like they're made of bronze rather than rubber
  • Pink wizard hat might have too much shine highlighting on the south facing sprite, makes it look like it's made of latex instead of cloth
  • Disheveled hair style has like... weird helmet sideburns? It's hard to describe, but it makes the face seem really small

Major:
  • The purple business suit no longer really looks like the reference outfit it was meant to match. It's supposed to be willy wonka's suit from the charlie and the chocolate factory movies, as seen in this bit of code
  • The hard hat is too smooth and lacks the structural ridges it used to have

Severe and/or Buggy:
  • Hair clips are invisible on the north facing sprite
  • The north facing sprite for the hot dog suit looks like a penis. Literally.
  • The sprites for holding a folding chair in-hand are bugged. When holding a chair in your left hand while facing east or in your right hand while facing west, there will be some very obvious graphical glitches going on. Huge gaps, weird clipping, the works.
  • The psychedelic jumpsuit's flashing pattern is much slower than the flashing pattern on the psychedelic shorts. (I'm not sure whether the jumpsuit was slowed down and we forgot to slow down the shorts or if the slow speed on the jumpsuit is just a bug, but either way, there's clearly a consistency issue here)
  • The new clown costume. This was the only resprite to give me a viscerally negative reaction, but it's not because the spritework is bad. They're a very good rendition of a clown but not of our clown. It's as though the soul of the clown suit was lost in the translation from one perspective to the other. Sort of like... a gritty clown reboot or something. I wish I could provide more constructive feedback, but like, there's nothing wrong with the new sprite from a technical execution standpoint. All I know is that it makes me feel sad when I look at this image:
    [Image: dreamseeker_DGGoQpknYZ.png]
I would still prefer that eyebrows are optional in the character setup.
(04-21-2021, 09:01 AM)Camryn Wrote: [*]The hard hat is too smooth and lacks the structural ridges it used to have

I think the hard hats could be a little less gold but hard hats in real life do come in smoothish versions. Right now they look like the M1 Helmet from WW2, which is fine imo, but a little more ridges and more of a yellow colour would go a long way.

I’m also going to put my thoughts of the resprite now that it’s live.
  • The Bun sprites feel off, as in the hair is being kept loose and styled into a bun like shape, rather than being held tight and in the back in order to keep it from catching fire or getting caught in machinery and so on.

• The Hi Vis looks like a Lifejacket and kinda makes you look like you have a belly from the side

• The purples could be a bit lighter