Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Improving the Spy traitor
I think the flavor of spies could be significantly improved by adding in very stealthy items that are exclusive to spies, similar to Frank_Stein's and katzen's idea. Make those items appear a bit more often maybe?
Dashing suits that hide you from the AI, Voice changer implants, Knife shoes, Tape recorders that let you listen through walls or cigarettes that let out a paralizing smoke.

Tier lists should definitely be touched up so that we cant turn in massively difficult items for what is essentially a joke item.

One of the main problems is the complete randomness, you can get items that help you in no way more often than not. I think OP's last suggestion on his first post could work just fine that way;
You turn in the quartermaster's left leg, you are given a choice between a silenced pistol (6TP if i recall proper) or you can bank traitor points instead, but the value is halved, so you only get 3TP. Maybe make it so that it always gives at least 2 TP? That way the "useless" items that no one really rushes except for some fringe cases, like banana grenades, fake mustaches or fake cleaner grenades can be switched for some more useful TP?

Another small idea could be to have independant timers on each reward, with the length increasing with the difficulty of the item. Right now the refresh is every 25 minutes, how about you have limbs to turn in and you have 25 minutes to do so, 20 minutes for ids, 15 for heirlooms, 10 for general objects? Since the lesser items bring in lesser rewards, i dont think that making it possible to earn more small items is too powerful. It would encourage spies to commit a lot more petty thievery which could annoy the crew in a fun way, while you have the more darring ones that hunt for limbs and ids not getting punished with a lower timer.

The last thing is the annoying turn in locations, something needs to be done. I like the idea of the pinpointers, giving cardinal directions, but how about giving the spies an override? You can either go to the spot and turn it in, like now OR you can turn it in anywhere BUT its a somewhat lenghty process, you cant be off station and it makes very obvious noise, which means the spies will have to be sneaky and find a secluded spot.
I think traps are good. Some rewards could be tracers that throw off the item tracking for other spies, or a lesser version of the chamleon bomb so you can disguise a bomb as a reward.

I also like the idea of pacing the round with tiered rewards and louder prizes as the round carries on
Traps are an idea, making more spy vs spy gameplay would be fun.

I am slowly making a spreadsheet to make a way to test how reward calculations would work, formula!!!

As we are talking ideas here is my brain dump of current SPY THIEF EXCLUSIVE junk.
We need to give out 19 rewards each refresh for 2-7 spies (huh, maybe this should scale down a bit based on number of spies). I'm trying to give spy themed unique items and "alternatives" that can give you options when you can't get your hands on regular items/genetics.

Spy items will be a separate PR to reworking reward logic. They should just drop in to the existing list and will not be available to other traitor roles.

Face changing mask
==================
Estimated cost: 3
Role: Utility/Stealth
Description: This is alternative access to polymorph without the instant change or randomness of DNA scramble.

Balance:
Could be affected by electric shocks but with polymorph and DNA scrambler/stable mutagen around I doubt it needs any downsides.

Implementation:
Needs custom sprite.
Somehow needs to be hidden when you are inspected.
Head only change could be tricky? Can't just reuse polymorph. Lizard people have tails and are popular.

Stealth Sec Hud
==================
Estimated cost: 4
Role: Utility
Description: Keep one step ahead of the law. Looks like regular sunglasses, gives you flash resist, security tags and a sec channel wiretap hack while worn (no microphone).

Balance:
Spies get rumbled, typically it does happen over general radio but it's hard to get much certainty without a Wiretap.
Getting a SecHUD requires a dead or heavily disabled officer or getting into security locker. Wiretap is cheap but it might not show up.

Implementation:
Very easy.
Reuse existing ninja suit from gangs.

Sneaking suit
==================
Estimated cost: 5
Role: Defense
Description: Standard armor suit, has coldprot 10, meleeprot 6, rangedprot 1.

Balance:
Rare to see outside of gangs but good melee protection in a fight against anyone outside sec/captain. Might need an extra benefit for spy, includes chameleon genetics (stand still to go invis?).

Implementation:
Very easy.
Reuse existing ninja suit from gangs.

Spy tuxedo
==================
Estimated cost: ?
Role: ?
Description: Space proof. Makes you invisible to AI tracking like the agent card.

Balance:

Implementation:
Very easy.
Reuse existing tuxedo jacket.

Spy car
==================
Estimated cost: 12
Role: Rampage
Description: Replaces the questionable clown car with a K.I.T.T lookalike. Includes forward firing phaser, oil slicks (containing space lube). Goes "stealth" when parked after 10 seconds (single tile stealth field). Can fit one victim in the boot.

Balance:
Instead of infinite seats this only has two, driver and boot for the victim. Compensates with an armament and less personal risk.
Two speeds, LO and HI similar to the floor buffer. HI is needed for longer stuns when hitting someone but stuns yourself crashing into walls. LO is safer.
Has pod style health bar. Crashes lower health.

Implementation:
Needs custom sprite.
Reuse existing vehicles.

High Power Flash Camera
==================
Estimated cost: 3
Role: Utility
Description: A regular camera but with an overcharged flash, using it on harm intent will blind.

Balance:
Alternative access to a camera in case you can't find one plus the utility of a flash item.

Implementation:
Easy.

Trick Cigar
==================
Estimated cost: 5
Role: Explosive
Description: Stealth alternative to the breaching charge or chameleon bomb.

Balance:
Less explosive power than a chameleon.

Implementation:
Easy.
The first change is in!

Reward tiers (minimum and maximum TC value)
Tier 1
value_high = 4
value_low = 0
Tier 2
value_high = 6
value_low = 3
Tier 3
value_high = 8
value_low = 5
Tier 4
value_high = 99
value_low = 7

Old logic:
Limbs - 7% chance of being Tier 3, 93% chance of being Tier 2.
Personal items - 10% chance of being Tier 4, 90% chance of being Tier 1-3.
Big station objects - 15% chance of being Tier 1-2, 85% chance of being Tier 1.
Photos - Tier 1
Station items - 10% chance of being Tier 1-2, 90% chance of being Tier 1.

New logic:
Limbs
HOS/Captain- Tier 4
Heads/security - Tier 3
Other jobs - 7% chance of being Tier 3, 93% chance of being Tier 2.
Personal items
HOS/Captain - Tier 4
Heads/security - 10% chance of being Tier 4, 90% chance of being Tier 2-3.
Other jobs - 10% chance of being Tier 4, 90% chance of being Tier 1-3.
Big station objects
Hard - Tier 2-3
Medium - Tier 1-2
Easy - Tier 1
Photos - Tier 1
Station items
Hard - Tier 2-3
Medium - Tier 1-2
Easy - 10% chance of being Tier 1-2, 90% chance of being Tier 1

How much items are worth was basically made up by me so please comment. The idea is that if an item is hard to get (secure area/important person) it's worth more.
The biggest change is really to small items and the big objects you can't move which before were very likely to be low value.

From line 344 you can see how much things are worth, 1 is the least, 3 is the best: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...ft.dm#L344

I will start next on sorting all the rewards into three buckets, standard, good and great and potentially excluding a few of the worst rewards.
TC cost doesn't directly translate into being good for spy. Somehow need to do this without making the common rewards worse and not spoiling the random element.
Bounty logic changes are in, we can have traitor items that are exclusive/blocked from spy rather than it being decided on crate contents. Potentially can ditch rewards or add new exclusive ones.

Logic change is in!

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/3363

- Won't pick duplicate object/items. No more cloning pod with two rewards, which reward would you get?
- Won't pick anything in the listening post, this was often giving a guardbuddy off station.
- Will be more random at picking named items like pods.
- Some food is gone (spaghetti, pizza, taco, cake, pancake cheese)