Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Allow cyborgs to assemble light fixtures
It feels a little weird for cyborgs to be completely unable to assemble any new light fixtures (Note, N E W light fixtures, made with metal sheets and all) because they don't have hands. 

Instead of forcing cyborgs to rely on humans for something as simple as installing new lights to areas, why not let them do it themselves?

I think it would make the most sense for them to install it using a screwdriver, though it could be done with a variety of others.
For wall fixtures, it would just be clicking and dragging it onto the wall. For floor fixtures, just clicking it with the tool would start the construction process, much like a soldering tool.

As always, feedback accepted and expected (Albeit this is a minor suggestion)
Give em an RCD (rapid chandelier device).
(11-27-2020, 08:37 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Give em an RCD (rapid chandelier device).

Could also allow the lamp manufacturer to actually make new lamps when clicked on, sort of like metal sheets? Might be a better method, to be honest.
I was thinking about that, but wondering how best to go about it. Clicking the thing already cycles colours. Maybe a right-click verb?
How about making it so that when clicking on a wall that doesnt already have a light fixture you start creating one over the course of 3 seconds or so, with a tube inside of the lamp manufacturer's color?
I think placing lights and creating furniture items is a task that should be exclusive to humans.
Borgs have the job to repair the station to it's initial state on standard laws.
(11-29-2020, 07:31 PM)GORE Wrote: I think placing lights and creating furniture items is a task that should be exclusive to humans.
Borgs have the job to repair the station to it's initial state on standard laws.

Isn't that ghost drones? I don't really tend to see them doing that often as they usually end up adding a new room to the station for fun unless a bomb has gone off.
Importantly, lights are a vital piece of station equipment. If you can't see, you can't really do much.

Perhaps let a borg (or maybe even humans!) use a sheet of metal on a wall or the floor to bring up a menu of what it can build there? Railings, lights, girders, etc.
One thing to consider is that this would give rogue borgs potentially another weapon.

Lights can be used to ignite welding tanks & plasma and possibly do a bit of damage if your stood right under them though im not sure about that. If they do a bit of damage then 6 lights in a narrow corridor might even be enough to crit, stacking explosions atleast in chemistry works very well.

Just imagining a army of borgs rebuilding lights everywhere so the AI could just blow them as soon as someone walks passed. That would be quite funny.
You do not need to overload a light over a welding tank to remotely explode it. Any spark from any source will do it.

As for the idea itself, sure! I think Bartimeus' suggestion that just having the Light tool do a check if what your clicking on is actually a light fixture or not is the most elegant.

If light fixture -> Replace bulb /w chosen color.

If not light fixture -> Place fixture /w chosen color bulb -> Drain battery X amount.

It's important that it has a cost, otherwise you'll have borgs placing fixtures everywhere and lighting up the station like the 4th of July.
(11-29-2020, 07:31 PM)GORE Wrote: I think placing lights and creating furniture items is a task that should be exclusive to humans.

Nowhere on the standard laws does it say this, and ghost drones are told to improve the station. Also, fixing the station can require placing new fixtures in the event of a large bomb destroying the fixtures in the area.
(12-02-2020, 01:43 PM)Goonstation Wiki: Ghost Drones Wrote:  Ideally, the station should be kept in the same condition as it was when the round began.
https://wiki.ss13.co/Ghostdrone

There's nothing saying you can't build new rooms, but your ghost drone tasks should generally involve fixing, not building.
Superlagg has proposed a simple solution: make the RCD produce lights. Could also possibly add it to lamp manufacturer too.

Edit: Also as people have pointed out, it is ghostdrones who have laws to repair the station. Borgs' default lawset says nothing about that.
(12-05-2020, 10:30 AM)Studenterhue Wrote: Superlagg has proposed a simple solution: make the RCD produce lights. Could also possibly add it to lamp manufacturer too.

Edit: Also as people have pointed out, it is ghostdrones who have laws to repair the station. Borgs' default lawset says nothing about that.

About moving the functionality to the lamp manufacturer, part of why I put this on the RCD is that the lamp manufacturer already has a heckload of settings that need to be cycled through, which could get especially inconvenient if you want those lamps to all be a different color.

Having the fixture-making and bulb-coloring on two separate items might make it easier to work with right now.

Another option would be to have their modes changed through a popup menu. Or to have the lamp manufacturer toggle between fixture types when used in-hand, and change color when hit with a lightbulb (or cycle through colors, and change fixture by hitting it with a bulb or tube).
This is definitely a much needed addition - currently when borgs repair breaches/blow up areas, lights are something we can't fix when the existing light fixtures are gone. Would be great if we can light up repaired zones instead of leaving them as dark desolate landscapes.