Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Adding 'mute' to the traits menu
Just a fun thought. We already have shortsighted, deaf, blind. Why not go the full mime and also add mute?

I get that being mute is kind of the mime's whole shtick but i doubt that giving that option to other players/roles would make mime flavorless.

If we get mute we can finally play as a deaf, mute, limbless, blind potato and that is the ultimate form of the spessman.
This seems like not a great idea. This would sort of discourage interaction between players, and that's not really what makes the game fun.
I disagree, if it's handled well it "could" add more interesting roleplay options, though I'd like to see a sign language rework added in first, maybe add the word list from the Ouija board to sign out?
While ultimately I think it'd be a neat thing to have, but I think the inherent inability to speak as mimes and monkeys (to a lesser degree nowadays) was one of the things that used to encourage alot of greytiding. Maybe I might be pushing it but I do have some concerns regarding it.
I agree that less direct interactions would make it a bit less engaging in a way, but i also thought that being unable to speak would incite people to use different ways of communicating, such as emoting, writing notes, pda messaging, writing on the floor or even using cassette players for the absolute madlads out there.
Though i do see the drawbacks indeed.
I'm not against the idea of a mute trait, but I also don't think its particularly necessary. I realize it would round out the current selection of traits since blind and deaf are already available options.
However, I think there is a fundamental difference between these traits.
On days where the mime job was not available, I would sign on as a staff assistant, grab the mime gear from the Chapel, and self-impose a restriction on speaking and using only emotes.
Blindness and deafness are mechanics that restrict the player's access to information by reducing their field of view via overlay or preventing them from hearing others. These are tangible effects that can not be self imposed. Short of welder-induced blindness and standing a bit too close to some explosions, I can't make my character blind or deaf without effort, which is why the traits are useful.

That said, I know it's easier to set a trait than it is to follow a self-imposed restriction, but I'm just reminding everyone that you don't have to play a mime to be mute.
Hmmm you do make a good point, what if a mute trait only removed involuntary speaking? Instances where you scream or are induced with drugs. That way a person could have their cake and eat it too, plus I can't really imagine the lack of screaming ever being beneficial to you.
I mean, there are already plenty of people that don't like Mimes cause they either don't know how to communicate without speaking or exploit it to stand around and do nothing for two hours.

Do we need that readily accessible for everyone?
I do agree with wisecrack but i suppose that is something for another thread. Maybe being mute, like the mime, should muffle your screeches and screams.

And i understand full well that self imposing a limit on yourself to create interesting rp is a perfectly fine choice, a situation that i imposed upon myself a few times, but the fact that it could be a perk could lead it to give a +1 for trait points.

That said, maybe both ideas together would work? By that i mean, self imposing a restriction on yourself to not speak is just fine, but what if being mute made you mude in all aspects? That way, taking the trait could lead to some additional flavor points by also muffling your screams, which is something that is pretty much always detrimental to you.