HoS Application: AWarriorBunny (Tray Brujas)
Smile 
Usual character names: Tray Brujas, Jack Raiden, Melissa Abigail, Goon Gumpas (clown and mime), Fingerbib (mime only).
BYOND username: AWarriorBunny
Discord username (if you are on our discord): DraconicImpulse#4153
Recommended by (if applicable): Slazzy, Jan.antilles
Goon servers you play: Morty and Sylvester

Reason for application:

Security officer, and other security-related jobs such as detective and vice-officer, have consistently been the most fun jobs for me. I would like to be whitelisted so that I can continue to grow as a security player, and have an "official voice" for helping players new and old attempt to keep the chaos from boiling over without abusing their tools and weapons, keeping the round enjoyable for themselves and others. Additionally, even as applicants get approved, there is a lack of people signing up for HoS or NTSO during rounds, comparable to CE and engineers.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I started playing security in August of 2020. I started on main, learning how to deal with antags and constantly being on the move, and was trained by Burt Bucklecuff! Eventually however I moved onto the RP server which is what I wanted to play anyway, and had to relearn essentially everything. At first I was far, far too brutal in my opinion; I was all too willing to toss capsaicin grenades at a moments notice, followed by a few bursts from the tazer shotgun which was how I had learned to survive: strike first and strike quickly, or die and give the antagonists more tools to kill. Slowly I began working on being more friendly, starting conversations with crew members instead of coming across like a lone wolf jackass with guns. During this time Slazzy/Gunnar was doing his meteoric rise to HoS, and I have to say he taught me more than anything else how to track forensics and keep notes on ongoing rounds.

That's the experience I've earned, but this game is more about the experiences I've had! I've been beaten, I've been eaten, I've been thrown into gibbers, I've had all my limbs hacked off one by one, I've been yelled at and called shitsec over 30 second brig times, and I've loved every second of it. These days I try to spend more effort playing into others gimmicks, both antags and crewmates; the absolute essence of this game is getting prank called at the sec desk to the point where your character would be ready to snap, hearing "my next order is a warrant", and realizing that this person wants to see what I'll do. In this case it turns out I'll beat you with a stunning stick and throw you around the brig saying "warrant served!" but I digress! On paper security is supposed to keep the station safe, but in practice I've found myself and others having more fun by being the big guy saying "this guy with a csaber hasn't harmed anyone, he's just lost on his way to a larp." Up until I have to step in and throw hands, I will stick my neck out to defend whatever they're doing in the name of fun, and I try my best to convince my fellow security members to do the same.

Answer two or more of the following:

What advice would you give to other sec players?
  • Have some fun! You're playing a video game, dammit. Dress up (so long as you're still recognizably security)! Play along with harmless (or at least non-lethal) gimmicks other players come up with! Pass some joints around with botany when the round is calm! Walk into an obvious trap, just to give the other player a nice story and a chance for you to show off how robust you aren't! To quote Eric Idle: 

"Life's a piece of shit/When you look at it/Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true/You'll see it's all a show/Keep 'em laughin' as you go/Just remember that the last laugh is on you"
  • ALWAYS chatter on the comms. Whether it's just shooting the breeze, calling out people that are acting suspicious, passing forensics down the line, or even saying "This round/shift is stressful, I'm taking 5 minutes", communicating with the rest of the security team helps keep everyone in the know, and helps make it feel like you're part of the team.
  • Space Law is a guide - a suggestion - that cannot include context. Sometimes a stern look or a swirlie is all that's needed; sometimes, you're gonna need to drag your suspect through interrogations/analysis of forensics, take their contraband, and [i]still need to give them the full brig time. Do what you think is best, and if you're not sure, get another security player involved to help.[/i]
  • You will be called shitsec, in some form or another. It doesn't matter if you're playing as a hardass, or if you're usually laid back and finally have to step up. It doesn't matter if you're the type to quickly confiscate contraband, throw their gear in the timed locker and set the timer or if you're the type to bring them to interrogation and try to get the full story. Don't take these things personally. Ahelp if they're being unreasonable, but don't let someone ruin your round because you did your job.

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?

1. Have Beepsky and the securitrons use ziptie cuffs instead of normal cuffs. This makes it less likely the "bad guys" will be running around with handcuffs if no officer can respond in time, and also means that players with fake arrest warrants, or start-of-the-round warrants, have to spend less time breaking out of cuffs.
  2. A rework of the weapons vendor would be nice. I mainly use the Offense loadout, but it's best uses are far too niche for me to call it the offensive loadout when the Control loadout exists. Additionally, I have almost never seen a player take the Support loadout; the lack of a ranged stun option makes it border on useless unless you're deputizing from other departments.

[*]

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

Regardless of whether I'm on a team or not, I keep notepad++ open to track important pieces of forensics (with notes about why they're important) and names of suspicious characters. When I'm solo sec, I tend to pay little-to-no attention to minor crimes like, for example, people being where they shouldn't be, instead opting to respond to calls as they come based on what department the call is coming from, and will usually hang around the medical area with forays back to the main sec quarters and the current round's "department of interest" where I'm being called to most often. As part of a team, I usually patrol around the entire station, and spend a good deal of time looking through maintenance, trying to find people that are injured to bring to medical (or people that are logged out to shove in cryo) if I'm not being asked to answer a specific alert or responding for backup.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.:

THE BALLAD OF THE SPESSMEN
My shift has just started up now
Guess I'll check my locker
Before I've got my jumpsuit on
Captain's off his rocker

Mining is causing explosions
The engine's running hot
The doctors are already stressed
RD: cap's spare he's got

Syndicate changelings and monkeys
There's always so much strife
Now it's time for the toolboxes
What's become of my life

CentComm just gave us six minutes
To calm the station down
Sadly the syndies are back now
Our bodies won't be found

Another shift has just started
I open up my toolbox
I throw what I want in my bag
But then the station rocks

Scientists have found an art bomb
Unfortunate for us
And the bridge, there moments ago
Is now nothing but dust

I grab my sheets of steel and glass
Prepared to get to work
But a god damned son of a bitch
He's already berserk

A cyalume saber and gun
Bought for this one purpose
And the crew, here moments ago
Should have been more robust

One last shift to finish the day
I pray this one goes well
Sadly I already know better
But there's no time to dwell

While I wander in maintenance
I hear familiar sounds
The vampire's already
Dining on foolish clowns

I yell out for security
It's far too late for me
The thralls crush my skull into paste
Time for master to feed

But oh no, my work isn't done
There's still too many lives
My horrid looks haven't warned them
They don't expect my knives

However the chemists have made
Some fantastic new toys
Igniter assemblies prepped up
Bring the sun to our boys

Violence, terror, and much more
Await those who will come
Too many feats to chronicle
This is barely a sum

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?:
It would require a lot of cooperation with the rest of the crew, but I'd love to instead do a more medieval/public style punishment. Specifically, I'd like to spend a shift with stockades! Buckling someone to a chair after putting them in a straight jacket and pelting them with produce and meat. I'm sure the janitors would love this!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): none that I know of, but I get bwoinked a lot for acting like a goon on other servers.
+1 I've worked with this guy before I was an HoS, months ago and as an normal non sec job, hes always been really helpful and fair.
I stand by my recommendation! Tray Brujas is a great officer to have around. I'm always glad to see him on the Sec team, and I know he'll take the time to talk though what's going on rather than make an assumption and start blasting.

Get him the beret, and not just so he stops wearing the red knit cap! smile

+1 from Fleur!
+1! This guy was trained by THE Burt B. Bucklecuff. Quality Sec Training right there.

I miss playing Sec with you, sorry I haven't beeen up to it as of late. I think that's where this starts, I guess, but having Tray on the team already makes me more enthusiastic about playing Sec during a round, and I'd really like to have more HoSes that make officers excited to work with them and be a part of a cohesive unit!

I 100% trust you with the authority that comes with HoS though; you have been a remarkable and fun Captain when you play Raiden, and especially as an antag. You know how to run good and inclusive gimmicks that don't go over the line into griefing or hurting other people's rounds, and so as a HoS, from those experiences and what I've seen of you in Sec, I absolutely trust you to make decisive but fair calls that preserve fun within a round for as many people as possible.

In Sec, your communication with the team is A+, and I am especially appreciative of all the effort you put into communicating with everyone, whether that's through general comms, security comms, or PDA. I really would look forward to having another HoS that helps develop and improve that culture of including people through multiple communication pathways, and I think that having someone who does model and participate in that would help alert other officers about all the different available communication methods that their team can, and sometimes HAS to use!

I just wanted to say that while I've been off-kilter of Sec stuff recently and that's why I haven't played, it also really sticks with me how you interact as Sec with the rest of the crew, since prior to this month, I only really ran with you as AI or Sec. But I had the chance to do some civilian stuff these past few weeks. When you stopped by the ranch, while I was randomnaming, and just wanted to check in on the chickens and visit them and see what I was up to, it made my round. I didn't get anything cool or fun or new from ranching that time, but having just that one litle interaction with you when you were Sec, as a sort of "hey, checking in, I know we had a rancher, just haven't seen you around; wanna make sure you're doing okay and see what you were up to," thing, that made it worthwhile to have been in that round. I don't even have words for how much I appreciate Security Officers who drop in to check on the parts of their team that maybe aren't wearing red and issued batons :+) You really resonate as "playing for the station," which is a trait I think is so essential, for anyone playing Sec, but especially a HoS.

Lastly, I also hope you get the red beret so people stop mistaking your hat for your hair. My only concern if I worked with you when you are HoS is that you'd make me ditch the tacky salesman coat and cat ears. I fear for my fashion's sake.
Easy +1. Jack Raiden as detective was one of the very first people who actually interacted with me when I very first joined RP, and made it a great experience. I don't even remember if I had a set name yet or was random naming but that small experience of seeing how RP can add to the game is what hooked me and made me a regular.

I always enjoy it when I see one of your characters and I fully trust you to run the HoS role in a fun and helpful manner.
Something about the name Tray Brujas sticks to my mind. I know I don't play RP but I recall I think one round ages ago with you on my sec team while I was HoS and seeing how the new pop rise was serving RP. I think you were kind of new but otherwise pretty helpful and a decent officer in that shift. Unless you played on non-RP sometime a while ago and that's what I'm thinking of (which re-reading I see you mention you started on main, so that's probably more likely). I don't particularly recall any negative experiences, your app is well written, and I trust the opinion and judgement of the RP HoSes that have posted here already, so while it may not count for much +1 from me.
Tray rocks, always pleasant to have around, always tries to talk before taking shots, just generally a great officer to have in game, on the same team as you and against you too.

+1
I didn't know Tray until I decided to try playing on the roleplay server today, and already he has made a really good impression on me.

When he says to "chatter on the comms" he means it. He communicates with the crew and with his team a lot, which, to me, might be the biggest HoS quality after not murderboning everything that looks like an antag.

He was also friendly all along, and filled me in on what happened during the round when I latejoined.

+1
Nobody pulls off the winter coat quite like Tray! Extremely communicative in whatever role they're in and highly competent whenever they're on. They've taken feedback in stride and continued to strive to improve their Sec gameplay.

Tray will do the beret proud!

+1
+1 always good to see Tray as sec
The admin team has decided to accept your Head of Security application. One might say you are a Skald HoS given that ballad. Welcome to the team!