Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Contraband rework - Also helps with forensics, kinda!
(11-26-2020, 05:22 AM)Sundance Wrote: A sound idea. Key issue is how to implement it.

This will be available on the Security records, I got that much. I'm assuming along with all the other options, there will be an option to [Adjust Contraband]

The problem I see is that contraband is effectively a whitelist. And I'm not sure if you can just "add" or "remove" any item to this because if you think from a logical perspective, there are hundreds of items on the station. I'm not sure if it would be a simple to type in "Mop" and then all things that are called "Mops" are considered contraband, unless the scanners are just simply checking for the name of the object. I'm talking out of my ass here, I just feel that this seems a bit iffy to implement.

There's also the issue of what's Contraband and what's Weapons Clearance, which are two different things afaik.

I think it might be easiest to just have an option to disable weapons clearance (which is all NT station weaponry) which requires two swipes (in comparison to the three swipes on the armoury) on the computer.

As for the gloves idea, again this is a sound idea, but there's an incredibly easy way to avoid this. Say some dork hacked his way into the armoury and you have his glove prints, and you enter his glove prints so that the scanners detect them. The problem is that the perp can just simply put his gloves inside his bag and avoid this trouble altogether. It's just an extra annoyance for the perp and I'm not sure if it will actually tackle the issue of gloves disrupting forensics.

Instead, perhaps all gloves have a unique identifier to their origin? So say you have insulative gloves with its corresponding glove ID. Entering this into the security records will spit out if the gloves originated from: Engineering, Mechanics, QM (if they've been purchased) or Unknown (if they originate outside the station). This basically what officers do already but instead of boiling down to one job, they've an entire Dept to decipher which is next to useless.

So to reiterate, scan insulative gloves, get job, now you have 1-3 players to pin it on, rather than potentially 8-9+

That's a good point Sundance. Forensics should be about narrowing your pool down, until you've got a clear case on why it's a certain person so you can justify an arrest.

I think more interactions with wanted posters and scanners would be nice too. Maybe feed a scanner a wanted poster and it notes their physical characteristics (A list of visible gear, clothing, hair and eye color, hair and facial details, etc)
Afterwards, the scanners could be rigged to scan and report back stuff that is say, a 65 to 100 percent match, or auto snap photos of people who had matching forensics

Messages In This Thread
RE: Contraband rework - Also helps with forensics, kinda! - by Frank_Stein - 11-26-2020, 07:06 AM