Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Hellburn and Gas Combustion Update
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[cleanliness][input wanted][rework][WIP]
About the PR

This change is focused on adjusting the non-linear nature of chamber burns in certain setups. You can easily get the chamber to “many suns” of heat very quickly and easily. This should reduce the situations where poking holes in the stations is required to deal with random plasma fires AND the burn chamber heating up the station room by room.

The insanity and chaos of said burns does seem like an added layer of depth and honestly reading posts and watching videos of these types of burns is what brought me here so I want to keep it in... just require some additional step(s) to get there.

Goals -
- [ ] Adjust hotspots to achieve bypass and/or not infinitely scale with temperature by default
- [ ] Allow for certain gases or gas reactions to allow for previous or modified behavior
- [ ] Ensure gas burns provide temperatures are well above furnaces
- [ ] Understand ATMOS code ?

Features to examine balance of:
- [ ] PTL
- [ ] Canister Bomb Temps

Why's this needed?
* Provides a safer way for people to play with the burn chamber without possibly melting the station.
* Reduce reliance on RCD as part of safe chamber burns.
* Resolve odd behavior of ATMOS hotspots allowing for infinite temperature in a small box.

Changelog

Code:
(u)Azrun:
(*) Reworked chamber burns to be safer for the station by limiting how temperature scales.  Tools exist to make it unsafe, go find them!

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
My attempt at actualizing the changes foreshadowed by cogwerks news post!  This goes beyond just that and mixes my findings of the problem, more info and a chart in github link, while trying to maintain or expand some mechanical depth based on conversations with UrsulaMejor and pali6.  I have since done some Discord history sleuthing on the topic of hellburns and TEG and this hopefully addresses some of concerns/desires of the dev team.

Hellburns as Cogwerks describes them should be unchanged. Pipeburns good! Use those valves!  Think critically! For Science!
Hellburns as ... most everyone else seems to know it... will require additional steps to unlock broken previous behavior. Numbers can still go brrrr.... o snap that burn was fire

Code:
(u)Azrun:
(*)Adjusted combustion, targeting chamber burns, to be safer for the station by gating a state with exponential scaling.  Tools exist to make it unsafe again, go find them!
(*)Molitz will now provide oxygen similar to plasmastone (just on a limited scale). A rare variant of Molitz will be an especially useful tool for making combustion spicy. (Thanks pali & UrsulaMajor)

Infinite scaling from hotspots is now gated by the successful gas reaction of Oxygen Agent B.
  • Temperature will scale as previously up to 2370C.
  • Otherwise, hotspot won't perform follow-up air reaction.
Molitz updated to provide oxygen.
  • Maximum oxygen generated based on units of molitz provided by a gas extractor.
  • Behavior otherwise similar to plasmastone.

Added means of procuring Oxygen Agent B outside of Adventure Zone.
  • Oxygen Agent B will be generated with temperatures higher than that needed to maintain fire.
  • Variant has the same likelihood as gems from Molitz chunks when mining.  
  • Molitz asteroids also added as an optional choice for follow-up asteroids from the Quantum Telescope.
Re-balancing the PTL is going to be a separate effort since functionality will still be available, which complicates balance...