Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Craftable Conveyor Belts
I love Mechcomp, its a wonderful little thing with alot of uses and some very interesting gimmicks. The sheer amount of possibilities is great and i always find myself thinking of new contraptions. However i thought of one more that i think could benefit this little world.

The conveyor belt.

The idea: Since im thinking that the belts should be attached to mechanics, they could be available in mechcomp dispensers. Though making them obtainable from cargo or, better yet, craftable from metal sheets is also a possibility. You would be able to lay down those belts to move things from one place to another in an entertaining way, who doesnt love to watch the monkey you forcibly tied  kindly asked to stay on the belt go from one place of the station to another. Maybe they should be programmable, to change the speed or direction, but it would mean you'd have to link every conveyor component individually, which would likely be a pain on longer belts. In an ideal world, inputting a speed and direction to the belt would make the entire belt adapt to the new settings, but that would likely require some painful programming work.

Why would this be needed?: As of now, mechanics possess two main ways of moving things around, not counting just dragging the item behind them. Those ways are teleporters and cargo transporters. Cargo transporters are limited to certain destinations and teleporters, while quite neat, are somewhat limited in their application and can only move one item at a time. Cargo belts, on top of looking absolutely rad, would let you transport a large number of items or people from one place to another in an entertaining way. While using piping is not completely out of the picture, laying down and handling broken piping is an absolute slog, and making a new piping often leads to issues when you encounter the disposal pipes already laid around the station.

Got pratical uses for it? You bet. Speed walks to help people get to places faster. Insanely convoluted rude goldberg machines. Tying staff assistants to the belts and giving them a forceful tour of the station. Putting some near the bar to make a revolving table. Moving stuff from one place to another in a completely unsafe but entertaining way. Expanding the disposal systems so that it dumps the grinded trash directly into the captain's chambers. Exercise belts for the gym. The automation possibilities are endless. A simple conveyor belt has so much possibilites!

The best part? Belts are already in the game and fully functional, so while it would still require work, its not starting from scratch!
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk
I think the last time this got bought up, it was said that the thing stopping this from existing isn't an issue with implementation but performance and that due to how belts work (either spaghetti code or just general taxing design) , making them player craftable would run the risk of lagging out the game for everyone else.
What a shame. I thought it'd make for a fun concept. But if its just not doable, then thats how it is.