HoS Application - Wrench-1 (Maverick Sabre)
Usual character name: Maverick Sabre
BYOND username: Wrench-1
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Wrench#8934
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: RP Main

Reason for application:
I've been regularly playing and enjoying Security in conjunction with Medical Director for a good few months now. I usually end up gravitating myself into roles that directly help other players as I get a lot of personal fulfillment out of helping others and keeping folks safe, in addition to forming strong relationships with members of the crew. These are key aspects of being a Security Officer, and more so for the HoS. Building and maintaining relationships through directly helping others and being that reliable crew member that others can happily approach if they have any problems or just want a chat. As a HoS, I aim to further build my relationships with others and further develop my leadership skills. In addition, I have noticed that the usual time I play at (when I am not up all night) tends to lack a HoS. Becoming HoS would allow me to provide leadership and guidance for the officers in that time frame, while also being an extra pair of boots for any time other HoS's aren't active at other parts of the day.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
I started playing SS13 back in August of 2020 during the time Criken and Tomato were streaming it. After watching a few videos, I decided to give it a shot starting with Goonstation as this was the code branch I was immediately familiar due to the streams I watched. I worked through every job, learning the basics and a few advanced bits, and eventually ended with Security. I chose to leave Security until last as I was vaguely aware of what I was signing up for, and understood that a decent amount of game knowledge and understanding of mechanics would help greatly. My first Sec round, I was given a training course by the officer on duty, where I was shown how to set up flashes, use and process criminals through Secmate, and an overview of the correct use of force. From there, I was let loose, and while I was rather rough around the edges for a good solid few rounds, I eventually picked up the pace, learned from my mistakes, and developed into an officer that I hope the crew can trust.

When it comes to Security rounds, generally I find myself naturally gravitating into a pseudo-leadership position. I will actively remind fellow officers at round start to "Leave their disks in MainSec and get clone scanned," and then position myself at MainSec's desk where I will talk with any crew members that approach for a chat or to make a report, actively browse SecMate for any arrest warrants, and actively coordinate on the radio with other Officers and the Detective to make sure that criminals are apprehended swiftly with minimal use of force, and investigations are conducted thoroughly. I'll spend 20 - 30 minutes actively manning the desk, but will then leave it to head on patrol with the other Officers. Sometimes, if the scenario dictates, I will leave the desk sooner to provide further backup. But despite that, I am almost never off the radio. One of the most important things Officers have over the various forms of criminal scum the station faces is their teamwork. It is important to keep a constant flow of communication between officers, both on radio and through SecMate processing, and I will always push other officers to communicate by setting an example for them. Communication minimises mistakes, and minimises casualties of the crew and fellow Officers. Mistakes still happen, and I still make mistakes myself, but that's just part of beast that is SS13.

When it comes to processing, I am very by the book, almost to a fault. Space Law is my bread and butter, and I will be constantly cross referencing it while deciding on brig times and further punishments for criminals. I actively reduce sentences for those that cooperate by up to a minute, depending on the crime, while simultaneously increasing sentences for any specifically egregious cases, (such as constant escape attempts, use of lethal force on officers or surrounding crowd during a pursuit) by up to 30 seconds, while being sure to never exceed the five minute max time. Upon pinning someone as an antagonist thanks to evidence, depending on if they have actively murdered or sabotaged the station, I will always advocate for a court trial. While this decision lies out of my hands, and is up to the HoS (Or Captain if a HoS isn't present), I will press for it anyway. Now and again, but not too often, I see a lot of Antag's rounds end with execution or borging, neither without trial, regardless of the crimes they committed. Just owning a Syndicate PDA is enough, and I tend to feel disappointment when this happens. As HoS, I don't want to be the round ending final boss for an antag, and neither do I want Security to hold that title too. But I want us be a roadblock for them to overcome. A trial provides an opportunity for them to manipulate the justice system to their advantage, or even plot an escape attempt. Either way, this leads to more interesting and enjoyable RP for both parties involved including onlookers, and all it really required was me deciding not to go for my valid kill. Ending someone's round is never fun, and I have been on the receiving end of it a few times. I know how much it can suck.

I will often also take it upon myself to mentor new recruits, as I myself was mentored into the role of Security Officer by another Officer, so this is my way of paying it forward. I'll ask what they know and what they don't, and then tailor what I mentor them on depending on their answers. The good recruits will listen and learn, and providing them with a good first experience will often lead to them returning to give the job another try in subsequent rounds. Maintaining a constant stream of new Security players is important for longevity. Its a job people get burnt out on after too many bad experiences, or lacking the knowledge to really do anything and getting shouted at for it. Its important to me, as HoS, that new officers are given the tutoring they need to be the best they can, and be given opportunities to not only grow and learn, but to have fun.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Sec is a very stressful job. A lot is expected of you, and individual actions, both positive and negative, can impact someones opinion on the entire security department. So one of the most important pieces of advice I can give is to keep a level head, treat every member of the crew, antags and non-antags, with equal amounts of respect, and to not unfairly prosecute anyone. In addition, if things are getting too much for you, no one will look down on you for taking a break from Sec to gather your thoughts. Its important to do that before making a serious mistake. Also, this is something I learned very recently, but you should label your pinpointer. A lot of times, your corpse is gonna get spaced, so finding it is a must as soon as you figure out what happened to you after you're fresh out of the cloner.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    Some time into my Security Career, I had developed a antagonistic rivalry with one of the rounds antagonists after they had attempted to kill me. That round antagonist, was the Detective, so I knew they were on the Security Radio Frequency. After getting patched up, I walked my way to the boxing ring, put on my best anime protagonist impression, and challenged the Detective to a boxing match. Funnily enough, he obliged, and ran straight to the ring to gear up for the fight. We both removed our gear, put on our gloves and entered the ring. The fight probably went on for about 5 - 7 minutes, as multiple times throughout the fight we both stopped to make a cheesy one liners, help the other get unstuck from the ropes if they got stuck, and even both of us stopped to arrest a guy trying to steal our stuff. Throughout that fight, I was laughing so hard OOC. After the match, and we both got ourselves patched up, he challenged me to another game. But sadly, I had to go. We shook hands, said our goodbyes, complimented eachother on our skills, and then I went into Cryo. I of me regret not continuing the RP, but other duties called at the time. But despite that, this still remains one of my favourite moments as a Security Officer.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    The Genebooth can be very problematic when manned by Geneticists that aren't fully aware of the chaos they cause by selling SMES Human and/or Biomass for a low price. Every Antag station wide will be SMES'd up, and this makes dealing with them an immediate nightmare and requires bugging Medbay or Science for Mutadone Hypo's. While manageable, I do believe it would be beneficial to allow the MD to selectively remove Genes from the Genebooth deemed too dangerous for public availability. Security won't have much say in this, as this is the MDs area. But indirectly, this will reduce the amount of SMES and Biomass annoyances without erasing them from the equation entirely. They will always be present, but far less common place.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    As mentioned above, when part of a team I gravitate to desk work and support, by dispatching officers to areas of criminal activity. On my own however is a different beast, as desk work and dispatch becomes meaningless and I will need to be on patrol 24/7. While in a group, I tend to stop and chat a lot to other crew members to get intel and understand vaguely what their plans are this shift. On my own however, I have no real time to stop and chat and tend to be a lot more paranoid, to a fault. I'll be lapping around the station repeatedly until I see or hear anything suspicious, and then I'll be on it immediately. My use of force also tends to be a lot less strict, as I have no backup, so preservation of my own life and the rest of the crews comes first and foremost, so expect more taser shots being fired. Fortunately, solo Security shifts are increasingly more and more rare now due to the ever consistently growing player base, but I would be lying if I said that operating solo isn't something I needed to work on more.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    Reflecting back on community management and being a trustworthy face, a gimmick I would like to run at some point would be something akin to a voluntary "Ride Along." With this, I'd ask members of the crew, primarily Staff Assistants, Clowns and Mimes, if they would like to tag along with me while I do Security business and fight crime, and periodically meet the team currently on staff to chat and ask questions if they have any! This gives new players a taste of Security gameplay, and will give more experienced players something to do if they're bored and stuck as a Staff Assistant.
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I have not been banned previously.
I've seen some great and amusing sec play from you, and would definitely consider you worthy of the beret!

Fantastic application, too. Surprised I haven't seen more support!
It's been a while since I played a round with Maverick or Inigo; but I know I elbowed you a ton a little while back about wanting to see a HoS app form you...and here we are!
I really like playing with you, and have a lot of fond memories of working with you when I played as an AI; I think you're a sensible, stern, and decisive officer. I think you also show good judgement on things and willingness to take action when you play in command roles like MDir, too. I appreciate that despite your hop-to-it response to antags in round, you also then follow up with trying to sort out reasonable punishment and often try to steer towards things that are productive for RP versus immediate execution or borging.
I think the only thing is sometimes you hop a little too to it, but for what it's worth, you have a tremendous sense of resonsibility in your roles in trying to make a good round for everyone, and always own mistakes and apologize for misunderstandings. I don't think this happens enough, and I think it comes with part of an awareness about what the flow of a good round should look like, an awareness that is essential for HoS.
Also, for all the times I've seen you trying to keep rounds moving along in roles like security or MDir, I think I've seen you an equal number of times using roles like Inspector or Lawyer to contribute to the dynamics of a round, which to me spells out marked creativity and a willingness to contribute using whatever tools you've got.

+1 from me.
ok