Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Role of Security and Antagonists on RP Servers
(my personal takes, not the administrations)

i think a large factor in several people not enjoying certain roles on the rp server (or game) as much as before is their own personal burnout. not as much to do with everything sucking and being bad because of new people, or inactive admins who don't care, or shitty people. it just feels like that because youre no longer having fun and want to find a reason for it. there are some legitimate complaints here, but i wanna make sure people recognise that blaming the server because you are tired of the game is something we can't fix. and fixing legitimate issues with people being underpunished or vague rules or an unclear message of what the rp server is wont always fix your issues with it if they stem from you just not enjoying playing the game anymore.

that being said, i think some more concrete examples of bad behaviour in the rules could be good, as well as tightening up some stuff. but i really want to avoid too much rules stuff. people already dislike rp for "having too many rules" already, and i dont wanna further drive that by making everyone comply with more or broader rules. tightening up existing rules and providing examples of common behaviour that breaks those rules would be good though.

also, maybe it doesnt feel like we punish enough rule breaking or whatever. sometimes stuff falls through the cracks and most first offenses are dealt with with just a "slap on the wrist". banning people for first offenses when they understand why what they did was wrong sucks. if they have a pattern of breaking rules, or a pattern of toeing the line, or they just flagrantly break rules and dont care to fix their behaviour, they get bonked. if people view it as slaps on the wrist, thats on them. i always say "dont do it again". if they ignore it, we have records of this stuff. if they keep doing it, they get banned.

as far as the admin standard for security: youre a player. dont break the rules. you have extra power and authority, so if you abuse it im gonna get mad at you. if you gotta deal with a griefer, ahelp and deal with them as normal. if someones breaking the rules (like shouting slurs), you can muzzle them, or knock them out, or something. ways to deal with people being shitty within the rules and scope of your job. try not to use super lethal force if you can. if you kill someone, clone them. being talked to by an admin doesnt always mean youre in trouble. if we go "whyd you kill that guy" and you go "ahelped him, he was griefing, wouldnt stop so we killed him" then whatever. sounds like a bad situation, ill try to talk to the player who got killed. you did what you had to to keep the station a safe place to be, and it didnt get dealt with by us earlier. if you cant deal with the stress or having to make calls about being security, or putting up with harassment (ahelp it if it goes beyond the usual "fuck sec they cant tell me what to do" that is common in game) for whatever reason, then dont stress yourself out by playing sec. if sec is literally harmful to your mental health, dont play the job. someone else will fill the gap. this is a community game. you have no obligation to literally hurt yourself for someone elses benefit.

for antags, if its an issue, i can bring it up. i think theres a separate thread about that though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Role of Security and Antagonists on RP Servers - by Adhara In Space - 11-16-2020, 02:26 PM