Mentor app -- Boxta
Usual character name: Box ta
BYOND username: Boxta
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Baddusername#8587
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Goon2

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):
I've been playing for quite a while now, and took interest in the more complicated parts of the game pretty early into my playtime. I know how to play most departments, and how most things work, Id say I have at least 3 hours in each department. I've also played most antags, and have a feel for how most of them work. I know more complicated things such as packets, Tsci, Dwaine scripting, and Dwaine in general, and can roughly understand most AI laws, but haven't played much AI. I've played borg a good bit, and try to maintain a friendly atmosphere to everyone. I'm always open to new things, and I'm always open to chat and talk. I enjoy most things about the game, and I'm always willing to learn new things, as for departmental experience, I've played all departments except AI. I know how to roughly be a good sec officer, and have a good feeling for what brig times should be. For science, i know how to make most bombs, a decent TTV, and how to make most chemicals. In engineering, I can build well, Know mostly how to work the engine, And I do well with mechcomp, going as far as setting up a wireless component cabinet to process data for opening doors, crates, and fire alarms, I can roughly recreate most rooms if need be. For medical, i started playing in that department, and have the most experience in medical, I know what chems are good for healing, a decent medical loadout, how to speed clone, and how to borg. In civilian, i can make most drinks, and grow most plants, how to splice, and what chems do what when infused. Im not really versed in adventure zones, as i never took a interest in them, but have been to a good few

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
4, two for laughs(Winning a gameshow, Asking to be sent to hell), And two for being excessive with fire and bombs as a non antag
I've seen Boxta gather up groups to show people how to do packets quite a few times. They're a friendly player and I think they'd make a great mentor!
I haven't played on Goon2 in a while but Box Ta was universally helpful with my questions whenever

-whenever I came to them and asked for help. Hell, I bet if I sent a pm they'd be willing to tell me how to edit posts, before I pull a Something Awful classic and just use quote instead!
I absolutely would recommend Boxta as a mentor. They helped me with plenty of the more obscure parts of Goonstation that I was absolutely clueless about at the time of teaching, such as Dwaine, packets, and loafer tips. On the packet front alone, we need Boxta. From my prior experiences at least, that was an area of Goon that didn’t get a whole lot of attention and there were very few who were knowledgeable about it.

Definitely a +1 from me. Best of luck!
Biggest networking nerd out there that I have seen in my 500 rounds. They are pretty robust and not a shitter. Taught me and others packets like they invented them. Easiest +1 of my life.
Box Ta is robust but not powergamey which is important for sure. Having that discretion qualifies as a +1 for me for sure
No. Huge fucking no.
I've been asked to provide a better reply than what I originally wrote.

Originally I've held off on giving a comment because my interactions with Box Ta have been limited to whenever they decide to act like a nuisance, EG breaking out of the brig with packets after being arrested as an non antag, despite being given a minimal 2 minute sentence.

Today, what caused the above comment was from 2 rounds, one in which I, the HoS, asked you, a staff assistant, to leave the AI upload along with everyone else in there. You refused claiming you had access. After asking multiple times, you proceeded to call me ShitSec and a shit HoS after I had to detain you. In OOC, you later stated that access was equal to rank and as such you were allowed to be in there, to which me and a couple other people explained to you that that's not the case. I'm not going to lambast you for not knowing things, it happens to us all. However, I would have hoped that you would have respected a Head of Security asking you to leave, considering the circumstances.

That wasn't what broke the camels back, it was the round that came after it. 5 minutes into the round and I get a call from the HoP that a staff assistant is trying to get into the office. I come and it's you using a guy to get over the table to the HoP and basically encouraging others to do the same. What followed from there was a situation that snowballed into a mob forming, overrunning Security, breaching and raiding the armoury and buying guns from QM, which prevented Security from dealing with the Gang threat that killed an officer.

I'll admit my mistake for commenting without giving it much further thought. I don't mind you being a nerd or being mischevious. I also don't think you're a bad guy. But I'd like you to look at the bigger picture outside of what's going on in the spur of the moment for you. People notice Mentors more than regular players, even subconciously. If a new player see a Mentor playing a certain way, they'll notice that and it will affect their perception of Mentors as a whole. I don't think you try to only cause trouble 24/7. But unfortunately, thats all my expirences with you have been. I hope it'll be more than just those. But for now, I can't confidently give a reccomendation.
(11-24-2020, 02:52 PM)Carbadox Wrote: I've been asked to provide a better reply than what I originally wrote.

Originally I've held off on giving a comment because my interactions with Box Ta have been limited to whenever they decide to act like a nuisance, EG breaking out of the brig with packets after being arrested as an non antag, despite being given a minimal 2 minute sentence.

Today, what caused the above comment was from 2 rounds, one in which I, the HoS, asked you, a staff assistant, to leave the AI upload along with everyone else in there. You refused claiming you had access. After asking multiple times, you proceeded to call me ShitSec and a shit HoS after I had to detain you. In OOC, you later stated that access was equal to rank and as such you were allowed to be in there, to which me and a couple other people explained to you that that's not the case. I'm not going to lambast you for not knowing things, it happens to us all. However, I would have hoped that you would have respected a Head of Security asking you to leave, considering the circumstances.

That wasn't what broke the camels back, it was the round that came after it. 5 minutes into the round and I get a call from the HoP that a staff assistant is trying to get into the office. I come and it's you using a guy to get over the table to the HoP and basically encouraging others to do the same. What followed from there was a situation that snowballed into a mob forming, overrunning Security, breaching and raiding the armoury and buying guns from QM, which prevented Security from dealing with the Gang threat that killed an officer.

I'll admit my mistake for commenting without giving it much further thought. I don't mind you being a nerd or being mischevious. I also don't think you're a bad guy. But I'd like you to look at the bigger picture outside of what's going on in the spur of the moment for you. People notice Mentors more than regular players, even subconciously. If a new player see a Mentor playing a certain way, they'll notice that and it will affect their perception of Mentors as a whole. I don't think you try to only cause trouble 24/7. But unfortunately, thats all my expirences with you have been. I hope it'll be more than just those. But for now, I can't confidently give a reccomendation.
Yeah, thats makes sense, i can go a little overboard with the greyshittery sometimes, , and i am sorry you've only had negative experiences with me, i do try and restrain when its clear im going a bit too far, but the clowns court case didnt really feel like one of those times to me atleast
I've seen Boxta around and they seem to know their stuff. I observed them for a couple rounds where they were exploring Centcom with some other players, and they seemed like a helpful presence. However, I have also seen them overescalate or be too much in situations, and I'd like to see a longer period of uninterrupted good behavior. For now I'm saying no, but I would definitely encourage you to reapply in the future.
We're going to pass on this application at this time. Feel free to reapply again in 60 days if you still wish to seek mentor status at that time.