Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
[PR] Removes ass jam
I like Ass Jam / Day.

I'm not a coder so I can't comment on it making the rest of the code ugly, or people not wanting to code things for 1 day of the month but I'd also say that I don't think it needs much new stuff to be coded, or to change each month? The bush-shaking, random trinkets, sometime mutations, everyones-a-traitor mode etc. are already good.

In terms of lacking a clear direction - maybe a bit, but does it need one? The rounds are sometimes very similar to normal shifts, sometimes a bit wild, sometimes absolute madness 2 mins in, and overall it's more brainless, chaotic, and bloodthirsty than normal, but I like all that.

Admin's doing Things definitely make the rounds more fun, but I see it more as an extra plus if one decides to swing by and push some buttons, rather than being disappointed if no-one does.

Maps are still voted in, so I don't really see some people not liking the different Ass-Jam specific maps as being any different to people complaining when cog1 comes up 10 times in a row?

Keeping it on Overflow only feels right to me - even if it's only a minority of people that like it, I think we get more people on recent Ass Jam rounds than we sometimes had on the server at all a year or so ago, and there are 3 other servers for those that dislike it / need a break from the madness for a few rounds
Ey, just made an account on here to let you know my opinion. Keep Ass-Jam you dam fool, it's pointlessness and utter questionably use wise is it's purpose. I look forward to having Carl serenade me with vocal covers of "Firefly" while I have to battle a man naked over lava pits just to get out of hell. You'd be a fool to get rid of such a beloved tradition. 
TLDR Keep Ass-Jam, Nerd. Or I'll give you a swirly in game.
bring back ass day
Ass Day is genuinely iconic, I'd hate to see it and it's descendant taken to the curb. The idea that on the 13th of every month there's a special day of unique experiences and freedom to hand out a good old fashion murderbone is something that I look forward to. Even if we are to change the holiday yet again, I'd love to keep the spirit of the day intact.

How about we start with shifting the focus towards offering up an experience that you don't get on any other day? Remove some of the more popular maps from rotation and unlock the rest of the implemented ones, keep the vote for if it's gonna be traitor mode but require a larger majority to do so, unlock more types of jobs and unveil new features that are WIP.

If not this then how about limiting the event to a few hours per Ass Day? I noticed a theme of "dropping in for one round" in discussions so this would make the event far more concentrated so that everyone can enjoy themselves during the day.

Finally I think that at least during Ass Day oxygen damage should be turned off. Dying because someone bombed a hole near spawn is a huge bummer and removing O2 damage during Ass Day should help alleviate the wear that it can have on people.

I really don't want Ass Day (/Jam) to come to an end, it's a staple of the community and would be mourned greatly by me at the very least.
if assjam/assday has to go...

i will remember it fondly, but at least keep the 13th as admin shittery and fun day.
Ass jam is my favorite Goon Holiday and must never be removed
I think it's time for a rebranding, and I think we should lea into the wild and weird kinda direction Sundance and Wisecrack mentioned, and have it as a day for seeing stuff you normally don't.

Greatly increase the chances for antags like wraiths. Remove the more common map choices or throw in unusual ones. Have rounds where job slots get overstaffed and there's 10 Clowns 50 Sec Officers and no doctors, or everyone is an Ambassador race
I've played ass jam about four times and I have grown annoyed by it very quickly. I looked upon it with bright eyes but it grew to be a rather disgusting and repulsive day. My first ass jam was the best as there was an pressing all the right buttons when I was around. But as I played more jams it was showing to be the same thing when an admin was not around.
It was simply stand around. Wait for somebody to break the game with something from a bush. Wait till next round as you get insta killed at spawn. That doesn't really strike me as fun.
I will not mourn ass jam. I would rather see it die than go through another.
(11-13-2020, 05:11 PM)DimWhat Wrote: Wait till next round as you get insta killed at spawn. That doesn't really strike me as fun.

No one should be killing anyone at spawn even on Ass Day or Ass Jam. Its one of the rules that stays always on.
From what I read, I'm more willing to believe that the people are getting insta killed by an unintentional "feature", not from player interaction.

Feel free to correct me though.
Move assjam to its own server, leave it on permanently, and use it as a perifunctional codejunk ultrapit. No pretenses that you'll have anything even approaching a decent round, just a bunch of stuff that promises not to crash the server.

and maybe bring back assday on that server every so often. or something.
(11-13-2020, 05:06 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I think it's time for a rebranding, and I think we should lea  into the wild and weird kinda direction Sundance and Wisecrack mentioned, and have it as a day for seeing stuff you normally don't.

Greatly increase the chances for antags like wraiths. Remove the more common map choices or throw in unusual ones. Have rounds where job slots get overstaffed and there's 10 Clowns 50 Sec Officers and no doctors, or everyone is an Ambassador race

YES YES YES. Include some more silly events make rare antags more common, make normal antags less common, screw aorund with job slots. Screw around with race. ensure there is always a slot open for a weird gimmick/unused jobs. add a chance for space maps to be oceanified with a ocean of a random chem and ocean maps have a chance to be unocienified, add a chance for noir and wooden staiton. I want it all.
Gonna preface that this is my personal opinion and not the Official ™ Position ® of the whole team. I sense there's a higher than normal risk it'll be mistaken as an statement from the admins as a whole, because of how the person making this PR is an admin. It'll probably be misinterpreted as such anyways, but at least I've given that out of the way.

Personally, I think Ass Jam should at least move away from being a day for experimental stuff. The "testing questionable features" and "enabling wacky mechanics" foci are rather at odds with each other. If you want to test something, you'd want to see it in normal gameplay, right? But Ass Jam is definitely not normal gameplay. And you probably wouldn't do just one day of testing. Besides, you don't need Ass Jam to do experimental features. MBC once made an "experimental intents" system and it was done as a verb that you would enter to toggle it on, Flourish has been pretty good at soliciting feedback for cloning changes, a few features like Gang mode on RP were merged under conditions of being experimental and thus liable to be changed/removed/otherwise temporary (and Gang mode eventually was removed from RP a week after), and some experimental stuff is tied to a toggle admins can turn on if some testing is needed.

I think Wisecrack34 and Frank_Stein's ideas of leaning harder into that "weird and wild gameplay" angle are interesting, so is Sundance's idea of actually taming down some Ass Jam features for inclusion into normal gameplay. Personally, I'd like to see it that there's always a few events scheduled every 13th. Just a few--don't want people to get burnout from making so many events each month after all. I'm not necessarily saying events should only be held on that day, but that the 13th be a day where we admins will try our darn hardest to have some. I think it'd be a good way to implement some of the event ideas mentors have proposed and maybe even some from players, which might otherwise stay as ideas due to laziness, time conflicts, etc.

I also want to note this PR only removes the code that basically puts the server in Ass Jam mode. Most of the code for the actual Ass Jam features is still around, e.g. the Fleet/Bellerophon map, crab gun, and Loose Cannon, available for admin shenanigans, but some isn't, e.g. expanded trinket and bush item pool.

Also, honestly, I'm not surprised either about this patch. Like a few other people in this thread, I also noticed the population drops during the Ass Jam, just like with the old Ass Day. Some of my friends did too, and that why some of them wanted to move Ass Jam to Goonstation Overflow and why some of them wanted to re-evaluate some of the Ass Jam features, which eventually led to removal of Kinetitech.

It seems most people so far either want to keep and reform Ass Jam or accept the possibility of Ass Jam going away  while sharing something they like about Ass Jam. That's a good sign, for it means at least something was right with this attempt to reform Ass Day, and people were still able to find something worthwhile. (Compare this discussion to say, discussions of pathology.)
This PR was not merged. However it expanded significantly in scope to also remove said Ass Jam content instead of just the code that sets Ass Jam mode. Ultimately, the coders have decided to do the reverse of the initial version of the PR: keep the backend code that allows Ass Jam mode to happen, but purge most of the Ass Jam content.

While it's said "99%" of Ass Jam content is cut, a lot of stuff is still around. Much of it is stuff like Sundance described could theoretically be toned down for normal gameplay.
  • Fleet/Bellerophon, updated Trunkmap, Wrestlemap, Icarus, Density, as well as Trunkmap (ported to modern code) and Donut 2 and Mushroom as they were before retirement (with a few adjustments from dedicated fans).
  • Ass Day Classic/Everyone-Is-A-Traitor mode. Vote for it has been ousted.
  • Slamguns, albeit without their crafting recipe. Nailshot is still around too, though it is not possible to fabricate it.
  • Crab gun, though not as something you can buy from an uplink.
  • Fart flops and scream shoes are in a similar situation where they're still around but not obtainable. The code that allows them to be sold by traders was commented it out rather than deleted, making it more disabled.
  • Sickly pears and their associated high fever disease and hot arms limbs, though the code allowing pear plants to mutate into sickly pears has been commented out--not deleted, merely disabled, essentially.
  • The Ass Day Arena, though ghosts no longer get the ability to visit it.
  • Locker entanglement and random reagent flood still exist as admin-triggered events, though it's not possible for it to randomly occur anymore.
  • Triple emagged beepsky, though it's not possible to emag it to its third state.
  • Loose cannon is still in the code and NARCS definitely is, seeing as it's still depending Cog1's Armory and available in the Special Equipment lockers.
  • Random admin-only jobs appearing.
  • Shrubs and trinkets having a massively expanded list.
  • Everyone being able to dab.
Interestingly, "hotspots" from chems and such affecting atmos and items releasing their chemicals as smoke clouds when burning, like herbs being hotboxed, have been commented out.

What did not make the cut and got axed completely: Timestop, health numbers over everyone, Ass Jam spacebux bonus, immortal Rathen, exploding NPCs, yeeting making actual explosions, similarly explodey cheese, chance for everyone to have a random mutation (though a framework for it is still around), hatted and occasionally leggy AI, prices ending in .99, Medbay having Morty plastered over everything, floorpills containing literally any chemical, QMs crate rarely arriving via Spawn-Heavenly, sleeper event spawning medical sleepers, GuardBuddies with infinite ammo bigshot Lawbringers, sonic bees, plate stack limit being 13, timestop toilets, Samurai sometimes spawning as traitors, nuke ops spawning at 1 op per 4 crew, nuke op limit being 30, random locations as nuke op targets.