Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Nano-Fabricator Expansions
Mining feels like one of those jobs you start to hit a wall early on with.  Once you've got your industrial armor and other toys, you can quickly make yourself and cargo rich, and then... Well I usually goof around with alloys.  But a few more custom toys to make could go a long way to helping the station, giving more RP situations, and just something to do.  I'll admit, this is probably more of a wish-list than anything.  But it would be nice to see some stuff come to fruition and I'm sure sprites for some of these exist.  Note, not all these would have to be mining central.

Components
*Weapons made out of rubber will become toy weapons that do that combat animation/sound but no damage/effect

Blade (3 Metal, Organics or Rubber)
A long piece of [material] with a honed edge to it.  Used in various weapons.

Handle (2 Metal, Organics, Fabric)
A basic grip for various weapons.  If made from infused material, will only proc on wielder.

Hilt (2 Metal, Organics, Crystal)
A guard for various weapons.  Better materials increase/determine bonuses while blocking with made item.

Sphere (2 Metal, Crystal,  or Rubber)
A solid orb of [material].

Spiked Ball (Sphere + 2 arrowheads)
A solid ball of [sphere] coated with spikes of [arrowhead].
Can throw it for a good chance of bleeding.  Bad thing to fumble... Also see catapult.

Specialized Pod Parts (???)
Pods really need some extra love, and this seems as good a place as any to add some unique gear for them.  Could add armor with chance to reflect lasers for example.

Weapons

Staff (3 Metal, Organic or Rubber)
Damage = Hardness/10 + 2
Special = An attack 2 spaces away like the spear that pushes back the target.
A simple long rod of [material].  Mainly used for whacking people.

Chain (2 Metal, Fabric or Rubber)
Damage = Hardness/10
Can attack up to 2 squares away like a whip, but makes a loud sound.
Several [material] links connected together.
Can rattle it by clicking while using the help intent.  Make it out of soulsteel for extra spookyness!
Can restrain like handcuffs with remove time = Hardness?

Spear (Staff + Arrowhead) (yes I know it exists. I'm suggesting a rework)
Damage = Arrowhead Hardness/5  (ignores armor = Density/20)
Special = Long range stab 2 squares away
A primitive spear made from [staff material] with a tip of [arrowhead material] capable of piercing armor.
*Does an extra 5 damage when used in a mounted vehicle (eg. Segway)

Sword (Handle + Hilt + Blade)
Damage = Blade Hardness/5 + 5
Special = Wide swing like baseball bat with good chance of bleeding.
A custom made sword with an edge made of [blade].

Rapier (Handle + Hilt + Arrow)
Damage = Arrowhead Hardness/5 + 2  (Ignores Armor = Density/25)
Special = Long range stab with good chance of bleeding
A special sword designed around stabbing vitals.

Dagger (Handle + Blade)
Damage = Blade Hardness/10 + 5
Special = A quick double stab
A small stabbing weapon made of [blade] that's easy to conceal.
*Can hide within clothing and withdraw using salute

Man Catcher (Hilt + Staff + Chain)
Damage = Staff Hardness/20
Special = A sweep of the 3 squares in front that knocks over targets
Designed to restrain and contain dangerous people.
*An attack will prevent those hit from moving as long as the attacker stands still.  Note they can still defend themselves.  A good tool for sec to use in teams to peacefully restrain criminals.

Mace (Staff + Sphere)
Damage = Sphere Hardness/10 + 5
Special = A short duration stun based on the targets head armor
When you really want to knock someone silly, use a blunt [sphere] weapon.

Flail (Handle + Chain + Spiked Ball)
Damage = Arrowhead Hardness/5 + 5
Special = A wide swing that hits all 8 squares around you, but has requires some windup time.
Get your Belmont on!

Bolas (Chain + 2 Spheres or 2 Spiked Balls)
Damage = Sphere Density/20, SB Arrowhead Hardness/20
*When thrown, has a chance to randomly handcuff, legcuff, lightly damage, lightly stun, or if spiked bleed the target.
Weights with a length of [chain] between them.  Designed to entangle opponents.

Harpoon Gun (3 Metal + Large Coil + 2 Gears)
Damage = As bow +3
Designed for underwater use and modified to shoot arrows.
*Increased damage and faster loading time than a bow.  Still needs quiver.

Frag Grenade Casing (1 Metal + 2 Small Coils)
An empty grenade casing you can load a piece of raw ore into.  Shrapnel is based on the type of ore put in.  Most metals and crystals doing damage = hardness.  
Cerenkite and Koshmarite do a rad blast = radiation.  
Erebite and power sources explode.  
Telecrystals do a 9 square teleport.
Spidersilk do a 9 square cocooning.
Organics splatter in a minor toxin?
*Traitor only? Make as a blueprint to add.

T-Shirt Cannon (3 Metal + Large Coil)
Fires jumpsuits at people!  They'll surely appreciate the new gear... once they're standing. 
*Fire clothing with a small chance of knock down.

Gear

Magboots (3 Metal + 2 Small Power Cells)
I don't see why we shouldn't be able to manufacture these.  Doing it via fab allows for infused materials.

Brainstorm (4 Metal + 2 Fabric)
Several straps hold this [metal] cap with a large rod on top securely in place.
*A lightning rod hat!  You're immune to electrical shocks and they now give a large stamina boost at the cost of brain damage

Ice Skates (Footgear + Blade)
Slows the wearer's movement on regular tiles (not space), but prevents slipping and increases movement on ice.

Crown (2 Metal or Rubber + up to 3 different Crystals)
Behold!  The majestic [wearer] and their riches!

Bling (Chain + Crystal)
Don't be fooled by the stacks that they got.  They're still [wearer] from the block!
*A piece of gear that can be worn in any slot except jumpsuit and produces the 'shiny gold' effect

Helm (3 of Any Material + optional Glasses)
~Give a defense boost similar to armored gloves
Glasses can be used as a flip down visor like a welding helmet.  Infused effect of glasses only work when flipped down.

Containment Vest (2 Fabric)
~Give a defense boost with more 'traits'
Like security's armored vest, but lacks that stale smell of tobacco and blood.
*Can't get defense as high as sec's version, but can still slap on paramedic/etc. suits.  Custom materials will allow you to tweak their fire/bio/etc. resist more.

Custom Armor (6 Metal + 3 Fabric + 3 Crystals)
Someone built this suit for particular hazards of space travel.
*Heavy Armor Mk2.  Only takes into effect the 3 highest stats, but gives a great boost based off them.  Take the 3 lowest stats and make them vulnerabilities.

Horse Shoes (2 Metal + 1 Fabric)
Nay to these, I say.
*Make you bounce like moon boots and add a gallop sound effect when dashing.

Spiked Gloves (Armored Gloves + Arrowhead)
Punches hurt.  But now they hurt a lot.
*Adds a small damage boost and chance of bleeding to punches.

Shield (4 Metal, Crystal or Fabric)
You've got to get through my [material] barrier first!
*Gives a large defense boost when used to guard.  Special is based off it's highest stat.
Reflect - Laser bounce barrier
Radiation - A short range forward radiation burst
Hard - Stunning Shield bash

Other

Catapult (5 metal or Wood + 2 large Coils)
Medieval siege weaponry designed to throw things.
*Can be pulled slowly but must be deployed in place to use.  Load items (or people...) into the catapult and launch them across the station!  Combine with mechanics, spiked balls, or knock out drugs for fun!

Flood Light (3 Lens + Tripod + 2 Gears) *needs large power cell
When you need a lot of light or to signal superheroes.
*Can be pulled slowly but must be deployed in place to use.  After deployed, can be turned on to generate a large source of direct stationary light.

Fire Suppression System (2 Metal + Atmospheric Analyzer + Beaker)
An old tech solution to space age problems.
*Has a tank size based off beaker.  Can set a temperature to react at and when tile reaches that temp, it will release the beakers contents as a smoke.  Surely won't be used for evil.

Fancy Glassware Set (3 Crystal)
A set of various [crystal] glasses. How fancy!
*Just a custom set of drinking gear that won't break as easily when thrown and has different shades to it.

Fancy Silverware Set (2 Metal or Organic)
A set of various [material] tools for eating with.
*Same as above but silverware.  If you want to radiate your guests or have actual silver silverware.

Barrel (4 Metal or Organic)
For catching space rain, practicing drumming, or holding stuff.
*A 2000 unit chem container you can't pick up, but can drag or load into a shuttle.

Still (4 Metal or Organic)
*You know.  Like the bartender has.

Disco Ball (3 Crystal)
Shiny!
*Activate it to create the 'party light' effect in a radius based off it's reflectivity

Hoverboard (2 Metal + Small Power Cell)
Magnets! How do they work???
*Like a space segway but slightly faster.

Bathtub (5 of Any)
A tub for bathing in.
*It's a bathtub!  But you can actually slowly and loudly pull one.  Deploy like catapult/flood light?

Bathmobile (Bathtub + Large Power Cell + 4 Rubber)
Na na na na na na na na BATHMAN!!!
*A portable bathtub that you fill with fuel to power it.  Yes. The driver sits in the fuel.  Can use up large portions of fuel to suddenly boost forward, but normally moves somewhat slow.

Bong (1 Metal or Crystal)
Dude. Duuude...
*For the stoners out there.  Becomes 'packed bong' when weed is added.  Holds 20 units of liquid and transfers 1 unit of it to host along with a 'hit' of weed.  Weed has 3-5 hits/leaf?  An option to papers.

Sky Cycle (???)
Despite the name, it works in space and does not have pedals.
*Like a space pod, but damage is taken directly by the pilot.
I love these suggestions a lot!
Not quite sure how some of this would work, and some of the crafting recipies seem a bit odd, but i like the idea of being able to go medival. not sure how possible it would be to program and sprite, but i hope it can be brought to reality
I think it would be helpful to treat some of the more useful common items you can find this way, or require hand making certain parts for it.

For instance, gas masks being something you could build with the filter being something that must be hand built.

Maybe gen manufactures should require and use more hand built items in their more expensive item builds. Stuff like the coils and lens.
Yes to all of this, I'm not a Miner player myself as I've sworn off Engineering after accidentally killing the entire station trying to turn on the engine.

Twice.

In a row.

But I'd absolutely love to see this sort of stuff touted about the station as a late round plan o' fun
(11-10-2020, 02:31 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I think it would be helpful to treat some of the more useful common items you can find this way, or require hand making certain parts for it.

For instance, gas masks being something you could build with the filter being something that must be hand built.

Maybe gen manufactures should require and use more hand built items in their more expensive item builds. Stuff like the coils and lens.

The filter should require fibrilith because asbestos is (unfortunately) prevalent in many gas mask filters
are any coders and spriters working on this? As this is a popular-ish idea and ive yet to see any confirmation that anyone is actually working on it or anyone ruling that its not going to happen
I'd be willing to help but I'm slow and it'd probably be weird if all the sprites didn't mesh together well stylistically and I'm not good enough at art to imitate very well.
That would actually give space asbestos a nice niche, considering it's not too useful right now. Damn itchy reactions...

Wish I could code for SS13, but get pretty o.O at it's workings every time I code dive. A lot of the ideas have some version of sprites in the game that could at least be used to beta code. Gotten positive feedback for most of them when discussed, so hoping at least some get used. If nothing else, wouldn't you like to see a better sprite for the syndicate dagger?

On one of the discord channels, we talked over a 'sky cycle' vehicle that wouldn't protect the pilot and it sounds surprisingly easy to implement. Sprites were the issue here again. Wonder if the arm dab motion/position could be used to simulate grabbing the controls?
These all look incredibly dope. I would love these to give materials more of a reason to exist. A+
I know it's a old thread, but could I suggest a Mat Sci rail gun that's expensive as fuck to make but trades that for easy to find ammo and high stopping power?
I'm actually starting to try some sprite work on this stuff now to hopefully see (some of) it come to fruition.  While more of the designs are medieval/modern in take, I can picture a magnetic weapon that you can load almost anything metallic into being a neat tool.  While my work on this will likely be slow, I'm always open to ideas and feedback.

My latest trials at blades and spheres:

I also made a sword and armor sprite for matsci
not of greatest quality but they're posted here for people to use
[Image: ArmorBase4.png][Image: MatsciSwordBase.png]
i love this idea having a lot more stuff to build as miner feels like the right thing to do.
i play miner myself on and off and once done there isnt really much to do exept keep mining and making cargo rich having the option to basically go medival with all this stuff soudns great! the armour options are also something i wondered about why mining cant make at least simple armor. The idea for the armour that takes the highest stats as strengths and the weakest as weekness is a good idea imo you can have an armor that tanks fire extinguishers liek a champ but boils you when somone uses fire or lets chemicals seep through

maybe add a greatsword to the lsit too, a huge and heavy sword thats slow and neds to be held in two hands but hits like a truck
o r b