Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
[CLOSED PR] Construction Worker rebalance
(12-06-2020, 10:57 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I think we should rebrand the job as "Contractor" and break their tools up across loads and orderable items.

Have sheets of carpet and wallpaper they can order from, that are just applied to surfaces to retexture them. Price them based on how exotic they are. Make them removable, maybe with specialty tools like carpentry hammers or saws.

If a person takes the job they get a bunch of materials  and tools for free, or they can visit QM and buy crates of materials.

I think it would be fun to have "specialties" where one contracter is focused on doing the floors, another the walls, a third on building new parts of the station, etc

I think this could be a really fun idea; this is maybe a longer-term solution pending a full rework, I guess, but maybe eventually CWorker can be nudged more into this type of role so it really is very focused on improving the station with projects that multiple people get to be a part of.

WRT Studenterhue's questions:

1. Should Construction Worker get EVA access? How about Mechanics access?
If the suit and jetpack are removed, then yes, and no harm done because EVA doesn't contain anything a CWorker doesn't already spawn with or have access to in Engineering Tool Storage; Ideally yes, but I also think Engineering as a department might need a second look for consolidation purposes.

2. Should some textures in the Floor/Wall planner be removed? Which ones if so? If they are to be removed, should there be a way to get more? If so, how?
I wouldn't mind seeing some of the azone ones go, namely Meatstation stuff. I agree with all of the decisions Caro made in their PR on the removals. I can't really think of a use for these on-station where I'd like to see them, or miss them if they weren't there. I also don't particularly like the damaged plating ones because as a borg or janitor I always think they're actually broken and try to fix them just to find I've made more work for myself. I don't think they even need to be added back through an emag function, as neat as it seems, since CWorker isn't ever an antag anyways!

3. Should Material Shaper be removed from Construction Worker toolkit?
Sure. No one seems to really use it anyways.

4. Should RCD-D capacity be lowered?
I wish there was an easy answer on this. If someone were willing to add the RCD-D door function onto a normal RCD and remove the ability for the RCD to set the door access, I think that would be the best solution because it brings all RCDs across all players with access to them in-line without giving traitor CEs or EVA-going Heads the means to make difficult-to-access hide-y holes or layered mazes of Captain-Access-Level Doors. I think it'd be fair to have the CWorker go work with the HoP to set door access with the AccessPro. Unless people don't really think making a bunch of access-restricted doors on the base RCD would be a problem; but at the end of the day, I think the RCD-D needs to go since it's a carry-over from a different gamemode entirely and no-one else has anything like it.

5. Should RCD-D deconstruction costs be raised to regular RCD levels?
Sure. I don't really get why they aren't already!

6. Should Construction Worker have one or two 50 unit cartridges?
I think two is okay. At the end of the day, they'll just find more large matter cartridges from fabs or traders anyways. I think the real issue with the RCD isn't the charges or the cartridges but some of the functions it has, which are addressed by the previous two questions.

7. Which of these should Construction Worker with: space/diving suit, jetpack, and/or magboots?
With a reasonable switch to have them have access to EVA, I think all could be removed and we could show off our nice jumpsuits a little more. If EVA access isn't added, then I'd like to keep all these. I would prefer the second of these two options, just for efficiency's sake within an actual round.
To clarify, Material Shaper = Window Planner. Material Shaper's the old name and name source code still uses. Already updated my previous post, but stating this so people can update their posts if this clarification changed anything.
Personally I'm still against giving conworkers a roundstart space suit, simply because no other job has that advantage, even miners have to grab a suit. And being conworker does not necessarily mean you're meant to be working in space, you may as well renovate the existing parts of the station. And if you want to have a spacesuit, simply grab it from the location you have access to, like every other role.

When it comes to RCDD, I think capacity limited to 100 is a good compromise. It still has double of the RCD capacity. And you'll never ever be able to make use of 15000 that RCDD currently has. It feels off, it feels like an admin-only item that shouldn't be available ingame. The lowered wall/floor deconstruction cost also feels unnecessary, it's yet another unbalanced remnant of the construction gamemode.

However, Nef's post gave me this idea: what if we raised the capacity of the regular RCD to 100, copied the RCDD's airlock construction mode and axed RCDD completely? Slight capacity buff is not really a big deal and the differences between two RCD versions after the nerf are minor enough to consider this merge a good solution.

EDIT: Tho, RCDD code is messy and there are more than two variants of the RCD anyway so *shrug

And, actually, I could bring back lowered deconstruction costs if that's such a big deal for conworker players but I'd like another opinion on that
(12-08-2020, 02:08 AM)TTerc Wrote: However, Nef's post gave me this idea: what if we raised the capacity of the regular RCD to 100, copied the RCDD's airlock construction mode and axed RCDD completely? Slight capacity buff is not really a big deal and the differences between two RCD versions after the nerf are minor enough to consider this merge a good solution.

This is honestly the biggest change I want out of a ConWorker change, as it'd make them far less crucial for any building projects that need doors. Want to build something as an Engineer but the Construction Worker hasn't latejoined or latejoined and cryod or fucked off somewhere? You're outta luck really, you can try printing doors but it's real finicky.