Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Security Trainee Job
So, recently a new channel in the discord popped up, for all us nerds Heads of Security. We discussed some potential improvements to security, and this is one, to deal with getting new players familiarized with security better.

Security Trainee Job
        -Starts with a flash and a pair of handcuffs
        -Has a trainee token that produces a a security toolbelt with two flashes and two zipties inside
        -Has full access to SecTech and security records computer
        -Unable to authorize the armory
        -Unable to open Security Equipment Lockers
        -Full access to every area in security, bar the Head of Security's office and the armory (obviously)
        -Same access as your average security officer
        -Starts with a badge, cannot be an antagonist
        -Instead of your typical whistle, they have a special whistle that sends out a distress PDA message to security. It has a 3 minute cooldown.

The goal of the trainee is to get accustomed to how security typically works in Goon, as well as being an indicator to veteran security officers that you are new.

List any ideas or improvements to this suggestion you have! Currently we need a way to fit this into the security order, as you would need to play a certain amount of rounds or something as a Trainee in order to unlock Security Officer.

One problem some people imagined was the target on Trainee's backs, as they would be unrobust and easy to steal from. Some said that theres not much risk as they don't have very good gear, other suggested giving them some form of a robusttsec in case of any greytide fights that may overwhelm so they don't become scared to play security, as that's not what we are trying to do here.
liked this idea forever, here's a jumpsuit

[Image: unknown.png]
Hrmm... Does the whistle have to message Sec? Do they not get headset/PDA or is it more about streamlining the experience?

As normal Sec I mostly use the whistle just as an alert that I want someone's attention or I'm getting ready to escalate if they don't desist doing something destructive. I consider it more of an RP thing than an essential tool.

I think stuff like a tape recorder would be nice too. Build them more towards doing things like taking down information from crew and sharing that with fellow Sec. Kinda establish the idea that your best weapon as Sec is observation and teamwork

Also that jumpsuit is slick
Whistles are fun to blow, I get the idea of a quick and easy way to alert SEC to something.
The whistle is too much fun to blow, danger or not.
How about a button? Big. Red. Press. Alert. Unique to Trainee.

The jumpsuit, while nice, is too imposing for what I'd think a Trainee to be.
I'd prefer a Simpler design. The previous white & grey Trainee suit was good-looking, didn't stand out too much from the crowd.
That jumpsuit screams "veterancy, danger!" to me. I'd definitely kill him before a normal SECOFF! Too imposing!
But if it's decided that it is to be their suit, I wouldn't argue against it. It looks good.

How about if they also spawn with a SpaceLaw book in their inventory.
Or a paper with a short summary of guidelines for SEC(Trainee).
Personally, the ladder I'd think to be more appropriate as most new players don't want to read, just play!
Quick, concise guidelines may be more effective than the entire book.
I mean this seems like a fun idea for RPing but I don't really see the point in normal goon. I'm not saying don't do it I just feel like trainees would really be changeling bait.
Assuming that Heads of Security will be a frequent occurence in main, this will definitely be a helpful addition, but usually this isn't the case and most regular Secoffs aren't too intent on teaching Newsec in general, if not, too busy to focus on them because of the presence of Antagonists.

At most, this will just be Security with a target behind their backs or just a simpler way to reduce shitsec but it may be a helpful addition to RP servers as mentioned above. If this does get added, there should only really be 2 Trainee slots to prevent clutter in Security, its greytided enough in main as it is.
(11-03-2020, 05:31 PM)Nihisohel Wrote:  If this does get added, there should only really be 2 Trainee slots to prevent clutter in Security, its greytided enough in main as it is.

I agree. Limited trainee slots that you had to opt into, if you want to explore a job without being expected to know much

I kinda agree that maybe that uniform is a little too cool looking. Maybe some white highlights?

Maybe expand more on the trainee token items. Give them a few builds to emphasize different styles
Also yeah that outfit is really too cool for a trainee. I'd like that outfit added to the sec costume locker though.
Damn i can't play as security, space lag kills you know?
I'm with Frank here, whistle is kinda more an attention-getting tool to me. I'd rather have it a regular whistle and a separate item that alerts sec when used. Maybe, to address the concern people will target sec trainees because they're weak, this item could also administer chems that heal over time, as well as sending the alert. (It also doesn't have to be an item, for it could also be an implant that gives an ability.)

I actually am concerned people will target sec trainees to get weapons, but it's more because they get access to SecTech, and SecTech has some useful stun stuff like stun bullets, Clock mags, and flashbangs. But it also contains genuinely useful sec items like cuffs, loyalty implants, and spare PDAs and helmets, so I don't think locking them out of the SecTech is the answer--besides, the access to use the SecTech is the same as the one to get into Sec, so if you remove it, you also remove their ability to enter their own worplace. So I'm not totally sure how to address that.

Everything else looks fine. Only thing I'd add is them having a pinpointer for their ID (so they can take it back from greytiders who steal it) and weapon (same as for sec vendor items having a pinpointer).

Personally, I'm for Flaborized's jumpsuit sprite. It's kinda an assistant jumpsuit (though I see more the botanist jumpsuit), but in black and red basically. But perhaps some light greys could be used instead of black.

I'm for limiting the amount of trainees, but I really don't like the reasoning of reducing greytiding of sec. If the problem is that people keep harassing Sec, I think it's pretty bizarre for the solution to keep the amount of sec that can be harassed low, 'cause now the remaining Sec have to deal with a greater share of grief. And I don't really get the idea of more roles adding "clutter"? Personally, I think it's a good idea just because it's easier to train a smaller group of students than a larger one.
Studenthue I'd just like to bring to the attention of your comment, the Lawyer.
Will Trainee SEC be targeted? Yes! Yet Lawyers have the same access and aren't often hunted down, they're mostly safe!
I think they will be hunted down, not explicitly for their access but because they are SECOFFs (in training) and combat is fun.
Security Trainees should receive a stun baton only capable of messing with the clown, monkey and mime.
Yeah that jumpsuit was a bit too tactical, changed it a while ago to look more similar to assistant clothes but only posted on Discord, here's it in Untactical Uncool Grey

[Image: unknown.png]
Thats a much better trainee outfit
I still want the original one in the sec outfit lockers though for funzies because they look cool
Agreed, the other one is pretty cool