Pinkpuffball81's Mentor Application
Information 
Character Name: Flap Jackson
BYOND Ckey: Pinkpuffball81
Discord: PeckNeck (#4442)
Reccomended by: Carbadox
Goon Servers i play: RP and RP Overflow lately.

I've been slacking on this application a lot. i've been way nervous, but it's best to get it over with.

I've had quite a bit of experience with what Goon has to offer. i have been playing for almost one full year now i believe. before i decided to join SS13 as a whole, i have studied the game for one or two years at least. Goon was the first server i picked up. the first job i learned to play was medical doctor, with my first character, Kenneth Cheddar. (Later to become Flap Jackson). since then, i've picked up and now understand more complicated features of the spaceman game, such as chemicals and engineering. despite my knowledge, i always keep the wiki open whenever i play.

Anyways, on to about me being a mentor.
three reasons id be a good mentor:
  • i LOVE to help people, especially with things i am passionate about. (SS13 for example)
  • I'm a jack of all trades and the specific topics i know much about include: Medical, Engineering, Science, AI, and Security.
  • i've interacted with mentors, and i believe i share some  similarities with them. mainly being a polite person, and doing my best to help.

I've also been helping other players even before i have become mentor.
(11-01-2020, 06:29 AM)TheRealFlapJackson Wrote: Character Name: Flap Jackson
BYOND Ckey: Pinkpuffball81
Discord: PeckNeck (#4442)
Reccomended by: Carbadox
Goon Servers i play: RP and RP Overflow lately.

I've been slacking on this application a lot. i've been way nervous, but it's best to get it over with.

I've had quite a bit of experience with what Goon has to offer. i have been playing for almost one full year now i believe. before i decided to join SS13 as a whole, i have studied the game for one or two years at least. Goon was the first server i picked up. the first job i learned to play was medical doctor, with my first character, Kenneth Cheddar. (Later to become Flap Jackson). since then, i've picked up and now understand more complicated features of the spaceman game, such as chemicals and engineering. despite my knowledge, i always keep the wiki open whenever i play.

Anyways, on to about me being a mentor.
three reasons id be a good mentor:
  • i LOVE to help people, especially with things i am passionate about. (SS13 for example)
  • I'm a jack of all trades and the specific topics i know much about include: Medical, Engineering, Science, AI, and Security.
  • i've interacted with mentors, and i believe i share some  similarities with them. mainly being a polite person, and doing my best to help.

I've also been helping other players even before i have become mentor.
Yeah he's a good boi
Flap was a pretty knowledgeable nerd when they were around on main and they're HoS whitelist so I don't think trust is an issue. +1 from me.
Good attitude, good guy, nuff said
+1
Yes! Flap is a thoughtful player; it's been a minute since I was on RPO, but from my time there as an AI, Officer-now-HoS/NTSO Jackson is diligent, persistent, and gracious. Flap embodies a certain attitude of giving and enthusiasm, not just in-game but in the community, that I think is essential for a mentor. Flap's also incredibly humble. My only hope for his growth is that he recognizes what a valuable member of the community he is! I've only really played rounds with him when he was Security, but even on that alone, I can tell that he treats everyone and every area with the same thoughtfulness he puts into Security.

+1 from me!
Flap Flap gets my vote, always a joy to RP with! +1
Yes big support +1
Without trying to be too harsh, I want to bring up something that I've noticed. On quite a few occasions both ingame and out, you've stated that your goals are to go from HoS whitelist, to Mentor, to Admin. In OOC, you've insinuated that this is a process that is guaranteed, and I've had multiple players reach out to me through DMs to ask if this is true and mention concerns about it.
It's possible that I'm completely reading it wrong, but to me it seems like you view being a Mentor more as a 'notch in the belt' so to speak. While I don't doubt your knowledge of the game, the idea of applying to be a Mentor simply because it's the next rung in the ladder you want to climb, and stating that so openly, really doesn't make me feel great about this application.
(11-10-2020, 12:58 PM)virvatuli Wrote: Without trying to be too harsh, I want to bring up something that I've noticed. On quite a few occasions both ingame and out, you've stated that your goals are to go from HoS whitelist, to Mentor, to Admin. In OOC, you've insinuated that this is a process that is guaranteed, and I've had multiple players reach out to me through DMs to ask if this is true and mention concerns about it.
It's possible that I'm completely reading it wrong, but to me it seems like you view being a Mentor more as a 'notch in the belt' so to speak. While I don't doubt your knowledge of the game, the idea of applying to be a Mentor simply because it's the next rung in the ladder you want to climb, and stating that so openly, really doesn't make me feel great about this application.

oh, i intend using my mentor position to its fullest, and i originally implied that i want to eventually get to the goal of  being admin. i feel like going to admin is not necessary, but it's still a goal i'd like to achieve. my apologies if it seemed like i wanted it only for the status. i truly want to help people and i don't view this as just a status symbol. i'm passionate about sharing my knowledge and i just know that people online will appreciate it more, because people are jerks in the meatspace. i'm sorry for what i said.
Do I think you have the knowlege to do the job? Yes.

However. I have been admittely unimpressed with your behavior since you got HoS, as your gimmicks are often over the line of what I'd expect of someone in that role. I feel uncertain that you would maintain the required barrier between mentor questions and the round in progress.

-1 from me.
We're going to pass on this mentor application for the time being.