Nathan Ranbee (Ranbee) - HoS Application
Usual character name: Nathan Ranbee
BYOND username: Ranbee
Discord username (if you are on our discord):  ranbee
Recommended by (if applicable): None
Goon servers you play: 

Goonstation

Reason for application: 

Goonstation in my opinion is one of the best servers on ss13. I have tried many different ones, but I just couldn't tie myself to them as much as I am tied to Goonstation. I practically play on Goon everyday, and a lot of times I get to be a secoff. I have seen many different HoS's in many different shifts, and I saw that they basically could take on the whole station by themselves. I like the dope clothes, the bossy attitude you can have. They really feel like important people. I think that I have enough experience to take on that power, and that I could do better for the station if I with it.
Security experience (300 word minimum):

I have practically mastered the job. If there's any report, I run to the place, question the people there, and if the target already ran away, I give as much information to other security members as possible to catch them. Team work is important, especially in large groups of people. Of course, if there's one person that's a confirmed threat, it's pretty easy to take them on. Stun them, baton them, cuff them, then take them to security and search them. Depending on the scale of the damage, you can calculate how much time they deserve to be imprisoned. I am fair with people who I detain, if what they did is not that bad for example public urinating of course I'll let them go. I will try my best not to kill anybody, if they are heavily damaged I will first take them to medbay, then to security. My jailtime never goes over 5 minutes. I won't add time while the timer is already ticking. If they didn't try to escape and cooperated when I detained them, I will give them less time. I have mastered many mechanics of the game, for example I will identify a bomb as a bomb, and other illegal items. I know how an antag might behave, for example a spy or a traitor will sometimes be stuck for relatively long times on their pda, and that can be a call for a check. If someone stands too close to me, I try to keep my distance so I don't get stung. If someone is following me for a long time, I will tell them to stop, if they continue, I will stun them, if they again continue I will arrest them. If there are just random unknowns lurking in maintenance areas and disposals that calls for a check too. It's also very important for a security officer to be robust, and fight for the station even at the cost of their life, of course doing everything possible to stay alive.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?  Be robust. Pay attention to everything happening on the radio and around you. Prioritize the most important things, for example if there's a murderer that has been confirmed to kill people, and a staffie with a stolen ID running by, arrest the murderer first. You can always deal with the less important stuff later. 
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one) 
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players? Overall I think that everything is ok except some of these things. I would suggest putting the security records on the pda in alphabetical order, and maybe adding a search feature for efficiency. Replace the window in cogmap 1 (in the single cell) with a wall. People usually break the window and make the cell unusable. Make the max time on the timers for the cells 10 minutes. 
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. 
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13. 
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run? When someone is hunting me down, I come out and start running around the station screaming for them to get me. If someone starts chasing me and trying to get me to stop, presumably the person who wants me dead, I assume they are the person hunting me, and from the moment I see them I set a timer for 3 minutes, and in that 3 minute timespan they need to catch me while I don't use any self defence. If they catch me, they kill me, cut off all my limbs, do whatever. If they dont, I start using my weapons against them, detaining them, and finally arresting them. Another gimmick I want to do in the future is detaining someone, and give them a choice to spend their time in brig or setting a certain challenge for them. I completely strip them, leaving them only with a backpack. I leave them in some isolated place in maints or something, and leave them there.
  • Draw a picture!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):

I have been banned once for bigotry when I just started playing on goon.
I've seen Nathan Ranbee around a bit as SECOFF.
I recall Nathan Ranbee as often resigning himself to SEC and trying to coordinate SEC VIA the Cameras. Very commendable!
However I haven't seen anything else that stands out, for better or worse.

Some of the things you wrote about in your app,
If you were my fellow SECOFF I'd ask that you discontinue such practices.
From an HoS, I may think twice about following your orders.

Are you really going to beat and stun crew who follow you around?
Brigging crew for 10 minutes? I find this to be disagreeable. This is 1/6th of the round on LRP.
I can see how some of these may be comedic and I wouldn't mind an HoS pushing the boundaries, but I'd ask, How far is this going to go?
It sounds like this may quickly devolve into you beating and abusing the crew thinking you're above the law because it's fun for *you.*

All said, I feel from your application that you still lack experience in spite of your description of having "practically mastered the job".

I cannot support this application. Neither for nor against.
(10-30-2020, 06:58 PM)Chayot Wrote: I've seen Nathan Ranbee around a bit as SECOFF.
I recall Nathan Ranbee as often resigning himself to SEC and trying to coordinate SEC VIA the Cameras. Very commendable!
However I haven't seen anything else that stands out, for better or worse.

Some of the things you wrote about in your app,
If you were my fellow SECOFF I'd ask that you discontinue such practices.
From an HoS, I may think twice about following your orders.  

Are you really going to beat and stun crew who follow you around?
Brigging crew for 10 minutes? I find this to be disagreeable. This is 1/6th of the round on LRP.  
I can see how some of these may be comedic and I wouldn't mind an HoS pushing the boundaries, but I'd ask, How far is this going to go?
It sounds like this may quickly devolve into you beating and abusing the crew thinking you're above the law because it's fun for *you.*

All said, I feel from your application that you still lack experience in spite of your description of having "practically mastered the job".

I cannot support this application. Neither for nor against.
Well I won't be doing that always. I'm not saying we should always brig people for 10 minutes, only in very special occasions. I won't go too far. I don't like beating people who I arrest, that's just not going to help anyone. If I feel like I'm going too far I will stop. If someone tells me that something I do is a bit too much I will think about continuing and probably end up stopping. But if you feel like I'm not fit for being HoS I totally understand that. I may have been too enthusiastic when writing this, and yeah I can agree that as long as I know a lot of aspects of being a secoff, it doesn't mean that I mastered being one.
personally i haven’t seen you too often in game, since i am not on main too much. when i have though, i’ve seen you more as an hop playing alongside sec, but that just may have been poor timing.

because of this, i’d like to respond more to your application itself than my in-game experiences with you.

firstly, i was a bit concerned with how you view the hos. there are many types of hos’s, and the kind you describe is completely fine. however, your heavy focus on simply ‘being robust’ (which is mostly limited to just having the ability to stun and cuff someone from how i interpret your app) combined with that is a bit off putting to me. the hos should be robust, but not purely in combat. communication and the ability to guide your security officers in critical situations can be more important than how well you can hit someone with a stun baton. chayot does commend you for your help coordinating sec though, so hopefully your experience with that could be expanded upon by you.

now what really threw me off was the 10 minute thing. i’m confused as to why you would want this despite saying you don’t brig over 5 minutes. if you really feel that someone needs to spend over five minutes in the brig, then brigging should not be the punishment. even antags don’t deserve to have their time wasted with something like that. i wouldn’t say this one idea entirely ruins your app, but it was definitely something that made me think.

overall, i think you are a good sec officer and have the experience with head roles, and could be a good hos with time, but you should spend some extra time playing security and interacting with the crew, as well as your own department a bit more. 

(should note this is just my views on it, so don’t let it dishearten you. keep playing sec and building experience, good security officers are always great to see)
Sorry to add negatively to this. I kinda wanted to include it in my original post but decided against. Though I can't quite shake the feeling.
Nathan Ranbee, I seem to recall that name has having been apart of a SEC team that was killing and spacing crew as non-antags recently.
Within the last month or so. Was this you?

While you didn't kill anyone you did assist the Detective every step of the way.
Restraining the crew, ensuring the Detective's domination over prisoners, stripping the corpses naked then spacing them.
While beating crew to death is a crime, spacing their corpses is a High crime.

It's important that an HoS ensure the SEC team adheres to space law, or at least gives prisoners "fair" treatment.
In this regard, I feel you have failed to prove your ability to do so, at least for now.
I believe you were not being malicious but truly believed it was OK to do. Inexperience on your part.

Though I was a victim of this myself, I'm not upset or something, though it may be relevant to the application.

I only remember you especially b/c I ended up gunning you down in SEC and spoke to you.
If this wasn't you after all, sorry to bring up something irrelevant.

[Not to diminish my own role in this, I slipped a SECOFF with a banana peel, prompting my arrest and spacing.
Then came back, stole SEC gear, gunned down and spoke to several SEC against the killing/spacing of crew.
Maybe not appropriate behavior on my part, my intentions were to get SEC to stop executing prisoners.]
... who?

Just read Chayot's thing and if you're one of the secoffs that arrested him for slipping him on a damn banana peel... I was AI that round and was horrified by yall... Nah. IF that was yall as Chayot was saying it's a hard no. Ya'll let a traitor kill someone while you arrested them for petty reasons. Then just brutalized people.

Your app is a lil lacking in the community relations aspect of the job even without that.

I would say though just practice more. Aim to have rounds where shit is resolved entirely with words, even vs murders! Reach out, and just ground yourself in the community more and worry less about being robust. Be the kinda sec off people don't feel the need to remove from the game. It's a no from me, but not forever. If you were new during that Chayot incident, you need more experience. It's good to be robust, it's better to not need to be.
(10-31-2020, 05:46 PM)Chayot Wrote: Sorry to add negatively to this. I kinda wanted to include it in my original post but decided against. Though I can't quite shake the feeling.
Nathan Ranbee, I seem to recall that name has having been apart of a SEC team that was killing and spacing crew as non-antags recently.  
Within the last month or so. Was this you?

While you didn't kill anyone you did assist the Detective every step of the way.
Restraining the crew, ensuring the Detective's domination over prisoners, stripping the corpses naked then spacing them.
While beating crew to death is a crime, spacing their corpses is a High crime.

It's important that an HoS ensure the SEC team adheres to space law, or at least gives prisoners "fair" treatment.
In this regard, I feel you have failed to prove your ability to do so, at least for now.
I believe you were not being malicious but truly believed it was OK to do. Inexperience on your part.

Though I was a victim of this myself, I'm not upset or something, though it may be relevant to the application.

I only remember you especially b/c I ended up gunning you down in SEC and spoke to you.
If this wasn't you after all, sorry to bring up something irrelevant.

[Not to diminish my own role in this, I slipped a SECOFF with a banana peel, prompting my arrest and spacing.
Then came back, stole SEC gear, gunned down and spoke to several SEC against the killing/spacing of crew.
Maybe not appropriate behavior on my part, my intentions were to get SEC to stop executing prisoners.]
If that happened I don't remember that at all. I don't remember spacing anyone or helping a detective kill people? Domination over prisoners? What day was that?
If it wasn't you it wasn't you. Really thought it was.
I never reported it b/c it was a one-time thing, if it was round-after-round I might've.
So I have no evidence of it whatsoever.

I remember thinking your last name was weird and being glad you first name was Nathan, something a little normal.
Maybe it was a similar name?
Sorry for bringing up something irrelevant. I didn't mean to add unnecessary doubts to anyone who may have voted positively.

Even outside of that, from your APP alone, I can't support this.
Give us orders, Ensure SEC's adherence to Space Law, perform under pressure.
When I see these things from you, you will have a resounding "Yes" from me, regardless of past actions.
(11-01-2020, 01:32 PM)Chayot Wrote: If it wasn't you it wasn't you. Really thought it was.
I never reported it b/c it was a one-time thing, if it was round-after-round I might've.
So I have no evidence of it whatsoever.

I remember thinking your last name was weird and being glad you first name was Nathan, something a little normal.
Maybe it was a similar name?
Sorry for bringing up something irrelevant. I didn't mean to add unnecessary doubts to anyone who may have voted positively.

Even outside of that, from your APP alone, I can't support this.
Give us orders, Ensure SEC's adherence to Space Law, perform under pressure.
When I see these things from you, you will have a resounding "Yes" from me, regardless of past actions.

Yeah I haven't seen you a lot as a secoff either. I usually am with people like Bruce Mcfee. Also ranbee is like my nickname and I wanted to integrate it somehow in my name. I kinda agree that it sounds weird but meh. Anyways thank you for your criticism on my app. I will be improving my skills as a secoff and maybe one day I will be fit for being HoS.
Based on the application alone, l can't really support this one in good faith.  Your idea of an HoS seems to be one that "beats the bad guys" and can throw their weight around in terms of command when there's more to it than that.  Being Bossy is not the only ingredient to a good HoS Hot Pot.  I also don't like the "Increase Max Brig Time to 10 Minutes" thing, because anyone spending more than 5 minutes doing something should be much more entertaining than "Stand in a room and wait on a timer".  I don't see anything requiring more than a 5 minute sentence that isn't repeated offenses, and at that point it would be better to turn them into a cyborg and get it over with.

I'm giving a NO on this one.
This may just because I mostly wander around patrolling the station all the time but in all honestly I don't really notice you Ranbee, either in person or over the radio so not sure that kind of presences is good for an HoS. And while I do agree with you that the brigs need to be harder to break out of, I don't agree with you that the timer needs to be go up to 10 mins, 5 mins is the worse we can do without borging the guy. And lastly the first part of the security gimmick is more of something you'd do on your own instead of with a whole sec team, and that 2nd part seems like your just treating them as some kind of toy instead of an actual player

Sorry mate but even though you do dawn the blue uniform, I'm gonna have to give this a no mate
While we appreciate the time you put into this application, we are going to pass on this application for the time being. You are more then welcome to reapply at a later date after putting some more time into the security job and building up trust in your ability to handle the additional responsivities that come with a Head of Security position.