Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2 Average
[MERGED PR] Removes the Construction Worker job, moves tools into QM Crate
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[REMOVAL]

About the PR
Removes the Construction Worker-not Station Builder-role completely.
Adds a new Engineering Locked QM crate for 8,000c, containing: Floor and Wall Planner, Window Planner, Lamp Manufacturer and Conworker Overalls.

Why's this needed?
The Construction Worker is heavily overpowered and abused, this is due to the fact they start fully spacesuited, have a full set of tools _and_ have an RCDD. The role is very much not intended for general play, and has no real reason to remain.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)comradef191:
(*)Removed the Construction Worker job. Added QM crate containing most of their equipment.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Crate doesn't have the visualizer?

Also, the shaper and room planner are by far the most griefy aspects of the kit; the RCD-D is a balancing problem for blob and nukie game modes but the horrible gross monstrosities the conworker is capable of "decorating" the station with are far worse, imo
(10-26-2020, 10:59 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Crate doesn't have the visualizer?

Also, the shaper and room planner are by far the most griefy aspects of the kit; the RCD-D is a balancing problem for blob and nukie game modes but the horrible gross monstrosities the conworker is capable of "decorating" the station with are far worse, imo

How would you like to go about solving that issue? Just removing ConWorker altogether or limiting the different wall/floor appearances they can use to a curated list?
(10-26-2020, 11:52 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote:

How would you like to go about solving that issue? Just removing ConWorker altogether or limiting the different wall/floor appearances they can use to a curated list?

If you emag the roomplanner, you get all of them. Otherwise, you just get the ones youd see normally around the station, and some more nice looking ones
(10-26-2020, 12:16 PM)Boxta Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 11:52 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote:

If you emag the roomplanner, you get all of them. Otherwise, you just get the ones youd see normally around the station, and some more nice looking ones

This would help keep the sudden appearance of a bunch of meaty/bloody tiles as a sign of something foreboding; I dig it.
Feeling kind of low-effort rn, so I just am going to copy over my thoughts from a previous PR. Sorry for long.

"I try to be good and take requests, and had opportunities to make some really neat things in collaboration with others. I understand people abuse the RCDs. I don't know why it should penalize the job...To a different point, Engineering borgs also get an essentially stronger version of the RCD, and despite whatever abuses might go on there, grief is just ahelped and there's not really the same kind of availability limitations.

The only other role with a similar RCD capacity is ghost drone, which is timegated. I think that might actually be a better way to resolve the griefing activity, just like Security timegates helped weed out some bad behavior. I'd also be okay with seeing a particularly high timegate on the role of Construction Worker; basic construction can be done by anyone regardless of job, so I think to have access to the higher-level tools it wouldn't be detrimental to set the requirements higher towards 20 or 30 rounds. In addition or alternatively, I also find/buy/make tons of the materials with the sheets lying around, and save the RCD for finishing or reinforcing walls; the bulk of the material I use to build is sheets. I don't think it would be detrimental to the nature of the role to give it a much lower capacity RCD cartridge and remove the large cartidges from the general fabricators to make a limit on matter shared between the CE and the Construction Worker. I'd even ask to have the ammo cut down to 50 charges or whatever, and instead have Construction Workers spawn with one stack of 50 sheets of metal and one stack of 50 sheets of glass. That keeps it so people can play Construction Worker with all the tools they need, and significantly reduces the functionality of the RCD, which should mostly be used for finishing touches on walls or whatever.

I guess the last bit is that when the CE happens to be a traitor and does work to bolt the AI upload, break the door permanently, and wall it off, it can be nice to have someone who can counter the broken door, the wall deconstruction, and building things to block lethal turrets. My last round as Construction Worker on Main had this happen. And then, because of the deluxe RCD, it was also possible to re-secure the upload by building three new doors with the correct access levels again."

EDIT: Forgot to add, but I'm okay with CWorker having any/all of those kinds of reworks done and still remaining a non-antag. It could also be moved to latejoin + nonantag. I've made some really wonderful and memorable things for myself and others as CWorker, and I'd like to keep being able to collaborate creatively with other players going forward. It's a really rewarding thing and can provide a moment of positivty in sometimes otherwise-dumpster-firey rounds
Seems like cash gating it only makes it worse. I can get fifty k in the first five minutes. Might be better to make CW a whitelisted job tbh

CW can't be traitor as far as I know.... letting traitors go buy their shit for cheap is just a bad idea. Feels like the job just needs some understood standards people agree to before they get it.
PR's been reopened. Technically should have been a week or so ago because the maker wanted a review, but a coder hasn't gotten to it until recently. shelterbee

Normally I wouldn't do this, but I would like to officially ask for people's thoughts on some the ideas proposed in this PR, since people seem to be really interested about Construction Worker lately but it's hard to kinda gauge what people want sometimes:
  • Should Floor and Wall planner be available as part of a QM crate?
  • Should Lamp Manufacturer be available as part of a QM crate?
  • Should Construction Worker be removed?
  • Should Window Planner (aka Material Shaper) be available as part of a QM crate?
Yes, yes, nah, yes.
Yes, yes, nah, yes.
Yes,yes,nah,yes
What they said
Putting my votes in too: yes, yes, no, yes
yeah, yeah, nah, yeah

The blood floor tiles do work well in a few gimmick
https://i.imgur.com/uu12wLn.png
(12-06-2020, 08:37 PM)Marksman Wrote: yeah, yeah, nah, yeah

The blood floor tiles do work well in a few gimmick
https://i.imgur.com/uu12wLn.png

Mention that blood floor tile thing in the other Construction Worker PR thread. Somebody wants to remove those tiles because they don't like it and see no use for that.