HoS Application (Sorry if I messed something up)
Usual Character Name: Bruce McAfee
BYOND Username: Mystic_Midgit
Discord Name: MysticMidgit#6020
Recommended By: Cool McChill
Goon Sever You've Played: Goonstation 1

Reason for application: For the past three months Security has been my go too, protecting people and helping taking down bad guys has always been up my ally no matter what game I play

Security Experience: I've known about SS13 for a while now but it wasn't tell early July that I actually downloaded Byond and jumped on. As it has been a life long dream of mine to be a police officer security seemed up my ally but sadly (thankfully) Goonstation wasn't going to let some jackoff who literally just got the game be a full on security officer, so I when with the next best thing, detective! As stupid of an idea as it was, I used the detective role to be a set of training wheels for how to deal with space crime and how to deal with space in general, a trial by fire so to speak. Fast foreword and I'm finally able to pick security officer and it starting to seem like my first round as sec will be really good, we had an HoS on duty, who once heard that this was my first time was more then willing to show me the ropes, then he walked into his office and got blasted apart by a wizard. It was games like my first that taught me that the wiki wasn't kidding, this is a tough and ungrateful job, and while there are some bad eggs here and there, a lot of security officers will try to help you learn, even if you're not even sec. Now the moment sec has to arrest someone then all those sun shine and rainbows go away and the chat is filled with the kind of words that would make grandma pass out, which is just another part of the job cause like I said this is ungrateful and the moment you look like your going against the people, even when your protecting them, some staffie mofo will walk up to you and start shoving you demanding to know why your arresting the clown, and I get it, there have been some really shity officers in the past. To conclude, security is a job that if you don't know what your doing will kick sand into you're ice cream and call you mean things, but if you know whats your doing, learn your equipment and work with your team you can take on any problem space has to throw at you, now wither or not you actually overcome said problem is another thing all together.

Answer two or more of the following:

What advice would you give to other sec players?: I would tell that the most of important things they can do is learn how to use you're equipment, and learn to work with others. A sec officer that understands and knows how to use the equipment given to him/her (Flashbang, tear gas, barrier, etc) can effectively take down an antag by their self, even the more powerful ones, such as a vampire. Now most of the time however it's safer to take on the antags by working with the station, some antags can only be taken down by the station working together, such as the blob, nukies, and revs. By learning your equipment you learn your strengths and limits and by working with the station as a whole you learn how to overcome such limits

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one): One slow game while playing sec on cogmap 1 a tele scientist asked me for two things, one sec helmet and for my help in protecting him from something. I gave him the helmet and he (I think) used it to make a portal to what was called "The Void", so me, the scientist and one unfortunate tag along that wondered where the portal when ventured through the void. The scientist needed me to defeat a mob that apparently could only be killed by my stun baton, which I did manage to kill thankfully. With the guardian ghost death our scientist managed to find the thing he worked so hard to find, a monkey hooked up to a machine. The scientist thanked me and our tag along and used the machine to switch minds with this seemingly eldritch empowered monkey, who then managed to crawl itself to a nearby machine and use it to open up a portal back home. The tag along took the monkey to medbay and I when back to work, I still have no fucking clue why that guy put his mind in that monkey or just what was so special about the monkey, but I can promise you, if that was real life I would have PTSD.

What gameplay improvements or chances would benefit security players?: This isn't so much a change to sec itself but a chance to the enemies sec has to fight; Nerf the CSaber please, I get it's a fucking lightsaber but really that thing is way too strong. Please, I've seen Camryn Stern take over the station twice using that thing.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer: If I'm the only sec officer I find myself going to cargo to order an experiment sec crate, both for the extra fire power and the better helmet. While I did say in the first question you need to work with the station, you can't do that if your dead, so in my mind the better helmet and extra equipment gives you an edge that can really help you out if the antags try to single you out. However if you are being killed and your not the only sec, remember to scream on the radio for help and hopefully you remembered to put your disk on the table!

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (Because it's important for the HoS to be fun)

Write a poem to convey your thoughts of security/Nanotrasen/Space/Bees/Anything related to SS13: Roses are red, Medbay has been lubed, The Clown has the luber, you know what to do

Write a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted too: This would most likely need an admins help/premission, and could easily get out of name, but picture this. Security team with no equipment but they all have wrestler belts

Draw a picture!: I can't draw. I am sorry

Previous Bans: No bans but I have been called out by admins two different times for what were just poor judgement calls and I apologies, I feel like if I don't bring that up it will bite me later
Bruce tends to play sec officer very often and has gotten a lot of experience in said role during his time on goon, I can recall many moments where I was giving sec a try and Bruce was there and calmly assisted me in understanding some of the sec features not common to other roles, I can also recall the times were I was arrested by Bruce and he always followed the adequate procedure of not using excessive force and taking me to the nearest sec outpost to see if I had any contraband, instead of doing it in a hallway. I think he would be a good HOS.
Frequent SEC & play with Bruce McAffee often. He's a good fighter, an above-average SEC. That said, I feel he's unfair in his sentencing.
He has good intentions, though I feel he needs to familiarize himself with space law a little more to get a better feel for punishments.

At times petty Assault has landed his prisoners high sentences of ~4 minutes.
At times, what should've been quick search and brig turns into a struggle to beat the prisoner back into the cell.
It happens, I get it. Yet this resulted in stacking higher charges on the prisoner when it's *our* fault for giving them the opportunity to resist.
Aside from that, unlike other SECOFFS, he does not illegally strip prisoners, execute them, nor taunt them unnecessarily.
I usually just let his sentences stick and see what he does, the one time I did intervene he cussed me out.

He's very diligent against Antags of the station and petty criminals alike, sliding up and down the halls in search of them.
That said he's often a lone-wolf. He just about always gets ELITE gear from Cargo and you won't see him around too much.
Though he does check in on the radio from time to time, this doesn't give the impression a leader role as of yet.
I feel an HoS should be more involved in SEC, *ensuring* the proper treatment of prisoners and adherence of SECOFFS to space law.

All said, aside from chewing me out once or twice over small things, I can't recall any seriously troubling behavior from Bruce McAfee.
I can recommend him as HoS. +1.
Bruce is a good officer who knows how to conduct himself and I think he's got the right attitude to HoS. He's been a big help when I've HoS'd on the station. However, I'd like for him to get more expirence, he's probably fine without it if he's going to play on the roleplay servers but I Ideally I think he could do with that extra time to show he has both the correct knowledge to reinforce the good attitude.

Consider this a +1
After staff deliberations we've elected to pass on this application for the moment. There were some recent issues with use of force as a sec officers so take a little longer to get a clean track record as a security officer and feel free to re-apply.