Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Make doors more difficult to hack
There was another thread that had an idea for this, but in general doors are so trivial to hack now people don't even bother to ask to be let in.    

Doors being easy to hack intially was offset by the rarity of multitools, but they're so easy to get now, but one wire unlocks every door in the station?  FR?   Like, how many people have been working in their closed department, a guy shows up, does not say a word, and just hacks open your door?

One idea is to let people in a department install mechanisms to make them more difficult to hack, maybe even buy them from a vending machine?   Slap em on, screw em in, weld em on... boom your door now has to have a combination of two to three wires cut/pulsed to even be unlockable and has a backup battery to power the door with more advanced versions.   It's an additional money sync and it lets players pay for the security which is very on brand for NT.

That's just one idea, anyone got a good one?
Nah. There's already a limited number of NDTs on station. Or, if this has to do more with tool hacking, have the underused silicate chemical (the one that reinforces windows) change the door from instantly responding to tools to taking a short timer for each action (unless they use the right chemical to wash it off first).
Multitools wasnt really the stop for door hacking. Insulated gloves were. Now people can hack doors even without wearing gloves and dont even get electrocuted much. Make it so you CANT pulse or cut the power cable without insulated gloves or you get shocked to crit and youll see less people hacking into your doors.
Personally I'd make it so that doors to important locations like Security and the Bridge would have their own set of wires, seperate from the ones that all the other doors have. Also maybe make the maintance panel on the doors a bit more protected? So that when you screwdriver the door, you've got to wait for the actionbar to fill up, so that important doors arent as easy to get into.
As a notorious but polite door hacker who'll always fix an airlock after breaking in, I think having a separate, more secure type of airlock would be an okay idea

Give them a separate set of wires and give them an actionbar for opening the maint panel (but only for them)

Armory and AI upload are as easy to break into as any other place on the station which is kinda ridiculous when you think about it
I kinda like the idea of security levels on doors, and even being able to hack or use an id card to raise or lower security levels (or having the AI do it). That means people who wanna raise their door security hack to do it too. Hackers vs hackers. Who'll be Hackerman?

I do think the issue is NOT that doors can be hacked, just the trivial nature of their hacking. It should be easier to ask the AI or person inside than it is to hack a door.
One thing you could do for harder doors is just require more than one wire to be cut for the power to cut

Or, require a combination of some that need to be cut and others intact

Make the multitool more like a volt meter, in that it can tell you how much power is going through a wire and what it is likely powering based on that
At the very minimum, make screwdrivering the doors take time, with a visible progress bar, its too easy/stealthy for someone to go around troll-unscrewing every door imaginable.
I still think the biggest problem is people have no risk to hacking doors without gloves anymore. Year or two ago when you tried to hack doors without gloves on you got your shit shocked multiple times.
As per the last thread that I made on this, I felt a tiered approach would be best here without ruffling too much feathers. Balance is important. 

Tier 1
Civilian + maint doors: 

No change, exactly how they are currently.

Tier 2:
Engineering/QM/Research/Medical:

Reinforced panel. Screwdriving open takes ~5 seconds. Screwdriving closed is instant. Pulsing/Snipping takes ~2 seconds. This is done on a progress bar. 

Tier 3:
Command/Security:

Secured Panel. Same as Tier 2, with additions. Command and Security have unique wire coloring (one for Command, another for Security, i.e: both different). 

This unique wire coloring could be extended to AI, in that it's not the same as Command.

Balance mumblings:
This changes the tactics of someone armed with hacking tools without severely penalizing the current meta. If you want to hack quickly into the Bridge for example, trying a random door isn't going to effective anymore, you'd want to try some other door, such as EVA or the RD's door if you want to know which wire opens what. Same would go for Security, you'd probably want to try a Sec outpost.

For hacking quickly into other places, youd try that random maint as normal, Tier 2 only punishes the absolutely brazen hackers who don't give a shit because if they don't know the wire then they might be fiddling on the front door of medical to the point where someone will smack em' or yell for security.

Tier 1 remains the same and this is good. This means someone who wants to go in and out quickly may not opt for the front door, but the back one, using their brains and know-how of the map.
(10-23-2020, 03:11 PM)Ion Mage Wrote: At the very minimum, make screwdrivering the doors take time, with a visible progress bar, its too easy/stealthy for someone to go around troll-unscrewing every door imaginable.

Doesn't it make a sound effect when you screwdriver a grill? Does it not do that for doors?
(10-23-2020, 04:40 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 03:11 PM)Ion Mage Wrote: At the very minimum, make screwdrivering the doors take time, with a visible progress bar, its too easy/stealthy for someone to go around troll-unscrewing every door imaginable.

Doesn't it make a sound effect when you screwdriver a grill? Does it not do that for doors?

Not that I recall. Having it make noise and having a visible timer I think is probably the best answer to all of this.

While I really *really* do feel that overall the balance pendulum is swinging overly far towards order from chaos this is reasonable both IC and out.
(10-23-2020, 03:56 PM)Sundance Wrote: What Sundance said

I REALLY like this idea
I honestly wish instead of timers we had the player sprite like shake a little while they are using the screw driver or something. Having big timers over peoples heads for everything kinda looks lame at times. I prefer more subtle ways of telling people someone is doing something.
Agreed, would make handcuffs more possible to escape